Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I did because:

1) The rear mirror is a real, solid mirror removed from a big old wood frame (thanks to my father-in-law's handi-work
2) The Gila "mirror" privacy film wasn't very much like a two way mirror. You could see through both sides of it.

I did get some minimal multiple reflections, but nothing like your typical Infinity effect.

Looking at the box, it does say "Day Time" privacy. Does Gila sell a true two-way mirror film, where you can only see through one side of it, with the other side working very solidly as a mirror? It did seem to work like a mirror only in very bright daylight.

Here's a screenshot of what I bought and used. Not happy with the results I got for my Endless Hallway Mausoleum; although it still looked cool.

SAM_1459.jpg

SAM_1462.jpg

SAM_1464.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mike- the privacy film you got from Gila is the only mirror privacy film they sell- I used it too on a 2-way mirror prop with a decapitated head behind. I just made sure to have no light coming from behind the glass until my guests were close and then had a helper turn on a strobe that was affixed to the panel under the head on the dark side of the mirror frame. It was somewhat successful (it was supposed to be a decoy prop for another that would pop out from a piece of furniture/chest of drawers under the mirror but for a few different reasons that didn't get completed in time). Was there any way to keep light from behind the gila mirrors?? They'll still be a bit darker and less "real mirror" like, but in a dark haunt setting it shouldn't matter so much.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike- the privacy film you got from Gila is the only mirror privacy film they sell- I used it too on a 2-way mirror prop with a decapitated head behind. I just made sure to have no light coming from behind the glass until my guests were close and then had a helper turn on a strobe that was affixed to the panel under the head on the dark side of the mirror frame. It was somewhat successful (it was supposed to be a decoy prop for another that would pop out from a piece of furniture/chest of drawers under the mirror but for a few different reasons that didn't get completed in time). Was there any way to keep light from behind the gila mirrors?? They'll still be a bit darker and less "real mirror" like, but in a dark haunt setting it shouldn't matter so much.
Thanks NM. Glad I didn't completely blow it on that purchase. But really, what about the two-way mirrors you see in interrogation rooms on all those crime TV shows and in movies? Is that pure Hollywood?

I'm thinking it would be worthwhile investing in some glass or plexiglass intended for use in, say, a Law Enforcement interrogation room. Are those rooms kept mostly or completely dark? Do they function the same way to keep the viewers hidden from those in an interrogation and/or Police Line Up room?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The first such mirrors were used to film German spies looking over the blueprints to the US Army's new rifle, the Garand. Such mirrors have been around for quite awhile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never tried that stuff but when I built my bottomless pit 15 years ago. I took my piece of glass to a car window tinting company in town and told them what I wanted to do and they put a film on the glass for me that have worked great for 15 years now.
If my memory is correct he put on a 70-80% tint film. I have a 40 watt bulb inside the tunnel that causes the tint to reflect like a mirror inside but can be seen into it without any issues.
Looking at your pics, it says 70-80%, so I would think it would work. Did the film have the mirror side only on one side that needed to be on the inside for the reflection?
I have found out that the brighter the light inside, the further the effect becomes. This year I replaced it with the florescent light bulb and it almost lit up the whole side of my yard coming out of the tunnel. I may go back to regular bulb next year.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mike the mirror material works just fine, you just have to work on controlling the lighting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can get true one way (or two way, both descriptions are accurate) glass as used by law enforcement, but it is expensive. I called a couple of glass shops in my area before I went with the gila product. for an 11 x 14 piece of one way mirror glass they wanted $118- Yikes! Needless to say I bought the film for around $28 and used it on some plexiglas I already had in my workshop. (plus I have plenty left over to use on other props) The instructions clearly state not to use it on plexiglas, however, I think that is because they assume you are using it on a window that may be hit with full sun and if I were using it that way, I can imagine the film and plexi would probably separate because of the heat of the sun. It smoothed on well and worked fine for my application.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bub, Bobby, and NimbleMonkey. My in-laws set-up the lights in the Mausoleum while I was away on a shopping trip. Mostly inaccessible by the time I returned, so I just left it. Again, glad to know I didn't space out and purchase the wrong Gila film. Thanks for the suggestions--I have plenty of time to experiment with the lighting before next Halloween.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I didn't get around to trying this effect this year (just ran out of time) but I found this site, linked somewhere on the forums from a couple years back:

http://www.carnivalmirror.com/

Might be a better option than the Gila mirror film just because of the light situation. Seems like a more opaque coated product. That might also make it more delicate, though.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I didn't get around to trying this effect this year (just ran out of time) but I found this site, linked somewhere on the forums from a couple years back:

http://www.carnivalmirror.com/

Might be a better option than the Gila mirror film just because of the light situation. Seems like a more opaque coated product. That might also make it more delicate, though.
I've always wanted to get some of that for funhouse mirrors but don't know if it will work for an infinity mirror effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts