Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_3462.jpg

The end guys are too long, obviously. The section is attached to the posts by zip ties. I am surprised how well they are holding as is but I figure I can get some couplings or sleeves to place where the fence needs to sit to help support the zip tied sections. The zip ties allow laying the fence at different angles and won't really show once painted unless you get right up on it.. Also they would come off easily so the fence can be stored flat. I love zip ties almost as muich as I love duck tape!

I priced it out and I can do the amount or sections I need for about $300, not includiung the fancy bits. I can afford that and the fancy bits too if I spread it out over a few months. Just not sure about trying to do these in the summer heat, even at night. ouf. We will see.

My other concern is staking out the posts to hold up the sections. I can only drive the rebar so deep in places in the yard. Middle TN is lousy with rocks about 6 inches under the topsoil. I am thinkiong some kind of shoe perhaps on the posts to give them more stability? The corners are going to have 8" square posts made of pipe and wood to look like wrought iron pillars that should help too. Also the entrance will have a taller version of those. Maybe an arch but I am not sure about that yet.

This is sort of what I am going for I think.
design1.jpg

Thoughts?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looking good. Im building fencing out of wood and will also do dry runs. You have to so when it's show time
everything is perfect. Im going with 3 or 4 foot chicken wire fence posts to secure my fencing to with zip ties.
Good luck and keep posting updates.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think that's going to look nice when you are done. It does get hard to work when its ninety eleven degrees and 2000 percent humidity. No cellar ? Or is it too full of stuff like mine?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The basement is full of mold and spiders, also getting the drill press and table saw down there is just not going to happen.

I think I may take that one apart and try it with the shortest pole at 30 instead of 36. I'm not sure that 4ft. tall posts isn't too tall to look right with my gravestones since most of those are sort of 1/2 or 3/4 scale compared to 'real' ones. I don't know, then again the entrance gate will look funny if it's too short.

I ordered a handfull of the finials and a couple scrolly bits to test, (I did the mock up in the first post using images from the site in Illustrator). I have the small skulls for the posts if I actually do that in abundance. The pillars at the corners will have bats on top like this though.

stephen-king-1873b.jpg

Whether I can pull off a web gate remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fence2.jpg

It was definitely too tall before. This is much better. It's staying up like a champ with 2 2' rebar and they aren't even banged in that deep. Those are skulls from the old fence. Can't wait to get the sample finials and swirly bits to see how those look.

In fact this is staying up so well I think I'm going to just use skull posts on the corners and only do 2 of the 'wrought iron' columns for the entrance and maybe try to make a gate.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fence4.jpg fence5.jpg

I may look into doing a rust effect on it but that's not critical and would probably make a nice upgrade for next year. So that's one down (more or less) and 19 to go.

Also still have to make the pillars for the entrance and maybe a gate.

Going to try to get this done over the summer as I can since it’ll be hot even at night and my tolerance for heat is nonexistent. Also bugs, yuck. Anyway it only takes an hour or so per section so this should be doable before September I think. The pillars and gate will be more complicated but if I get the wood drilled out in the garage I can do most of the assembly in the house then it’s just a matter of painting everything.

I'll update again once I have a pillar done. I am going to try to do one this week, but I have a lot going on and may not have time. Also won't have the bat done I plan to put on top yet but I can at least try to get the base done.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My only Sister has lived in Tenn. for 30? years. They refer to her as" that crazy Northern woman" because she is always outside, loves the heat!
My Sister has always been a work-a-holic and her Birthday is in October, she loves to do things, if she was anywhere near?
Make sure when you are pounding stakes into the Earth that you know where any gas or electrical lines might be buried.
Cut some pieces of Galvanized electrical conduit, pound them in them you could quickly slide your rebar? posts right in or out.
Match the size of the rebar to the size of the conduit.
You could use some very inexpensive plastic Halloween type toys for fencing decorum, just spray paint them after attaching them and put a little rust spray paint misted lightly from a little distance.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have to get the house clean for in-laws but hope to make a few more sections in the next week or so. Really need to make one of the gate pillars to make sure they are going to work.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's still hit here in early Sept. but I try to gete everything out mid sept. if I can, I just have to deal with bugs and heat... ew.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Niiiiice fencing, lilibat! Even if all you get done is the fence itself (no pillars), it still will look great!

Yes, good luck with the humidity & heat..ugh. That two-punch combo is why I haven't visited the South yet.
Bugs too:eek: Can't even imagine.

Where did you get your scrolly bits?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buh some of the bits are on back order but I should be getting most of them in the next week or two. Need to get to work on making the sections so they are ready for scrolly bits!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts