Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My haunt this year is inspired by the master, Edgar Allan Poe.

Big surprise - I need a realistic raven, wings spread.

I've searched all the online sites I can find including Ebay, Spirit Halloween, Party City....but I can't find one.

I can't have a Poe Haunt without a nice, big, scary raven!

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
I got the giant animated raven from Michael's this year to use in my graveyard next to Poe's tombstone. He's pretty cool. His eyes light up, he turns his head and cawes. His wings are not spread though.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,079 Posts
That is so weird. I have several largish ravens with wings spread I got at Michaels. It has been almost a decade tho, so they may have changed manufacturers since then. The ones I have, the wings slot into place so you can remove them for storage.

I have no good images of them unfortunately. Just this one blurry setup shot with the spread wings bird up on the curtain rod. The other birds were the dollar tree baby birds but they still made them with real feathers and a few different poses at that time...

ETA: They still have them, they call them "crow" not raven tho.

http://www.michaels.com/black-flying-crow-by-ashland/10550195.html#q=crow&start=5

And also, you could buy black feathers and make a paper mache raven as big as you'd like - the form for the body would be easy (they sell one, but it may not be large enough - but look at the shape for how easy it would be to make):
http://www.michaels.com/paper-mache-standing-crow-by-recollections/10516490.html#q=crow&start=15

Find a nice wing template, paint all black, glue on feathers, slot wing into body, get some shiny black beads for eyes and make the beak out of plastic or just paint gloss black (or in a pinch use clear nail polish!).

Could make one as large as you like then... :D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I got the giant animated raven from Michael's this year to use in my graveyard next to Poe's tombstone. He's pretty cool. His eyes light up, he turns his head and cawes. His wings are not spread though.
I bought one about a month ago too with a 40% coupon....I want to do an animated raven kind of like your kit (EDIT - Sorry, not your kit but Mr. Chicken's kit) but with all the spare parts I currently have laying around....I'm thinking the size will make it easier to get all the parts to fit inside....I'm going to make a mold of the one I have so I don't destroy the only one I have and will also cast just the wings a second time so I can do a quick hinge job so they have a little movement....Or I may just throw something together for the wings, who knows?....Won't know until I get into it but the size should make things easier......ZR

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a Poe scene that I set up each year and have seen many ravens but never one with its wings spread!
I found one in a second hand shop years ago. It was perfect and I named him Edgar. Unfortunately, the weather finally destroyed the prop last year. I didn't realize how hard it would be to replace him. :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is so weird. I have several largish ravens with wings spread I got at Michaels. It has been almost a decade tho, so they may have changed manufacturers since then. The ones I have, the wings slot into place so you can remove them for storage.

I have no good images of them unfortunately. Just this one blurry setup shot with the spread wings bird up on the curtain rod. The other birds were the dollar tree baby birds but they still made them with real feathers and a few different poses at that time...

ETA: They still have them, they call them "crow" not raven tho.

http://www.michaels.com/black-flying-crow-by-ashland/10550195.html#q=crow&start=5

And also, you could buy black feathers and make a paper mache raven as big as you'd like - the form for the body would be easy (they sell one, but it may not be large enough - but look at the shape for how easy it would be to make):
http://www.michaels.com/paper-mache-standing-crow-by-recollections/10516490.html#q=crow&start=15

Find a nice wing template, paint all black, glue on feathers, slot wing into body, get some shiny black beads for eyes and make the beak out of plastic or just paint gloss black (or in a pinch use clear nail polish!).

Could make one as large as you like then... :D
Making one sounds like a great idea - if you're not me. I am very creative but not crafty. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve never purchased from this site before but here’s a whole smorgasbord of crows. They even reference Edgar Allen Poe in the description on some of them!

https://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Crow
I've made purchases with this company many times and have been very pleased with the products I've received.
Note: Make sure to read dimensions of items. Pictures can fool you into thinking item is larger than it actually is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts