Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here it goes. Our old bed which lasted us over 15 years finally had to go. It had been good to us, but like everything else in life it just finally wore out. So off we went bed shopping. We tried out many different beds at our local Sleep Country and decided on a Simmons Beautyrest Black Collection "Rosalyn". I was really taken back by the price, mattress & Box Spring, Mattress pad and protection plan and taxes it came to $3,044.00, but finally agreed with hubby we couldn't put a price on health and comfort, something I've been lacking badly. Well since day 1 this bed has been a nightmare and has only gotten worse. It's now been 2 months and has terrible body impressions and has caused all my joint and muscle problems to intensify, but it did help for the most part with the lower back pain.
So back I went to try out other beds "hubby doesn't have any issues with the bed" but he wants me to find something that will work for me. Anyways, off I go. Our 60 day comfort exchange policy has just expired but that hasn't stopped the wonderful staff at sleep country from trying to help me. THey've extended the comfort exchange and has had me come in as often as I want to try out new beds, they have gone way beyond the call of duty "for example" I went last night and arrived at 7pm, they close at 9pm, well the fellow on at closing said to me that he had to do his cash out and to feel free to stay and keep trying them out " I left with him at 11:30pm" now is that freakin customer service or what! They have been so good to me it blows my mind.
Anyways, I tried several beds and by the time I got home I was one hurting unit, and right now I'm in so much freakin pain I just want to scream, and I don't know which bed caused it, or if it's from trying to many. Which by the way, when the saleman and I were leaving he suggested I leave it for a few days or a week before coming back to try the ones I found of interest cause I was hurting so bad when I left. Over the past 3 days I've been going I've tried so many brands and styles it would make your head spin off.
I've been trying Kingsdown, Serta, Sealy, Sterns and Foster, Simmons, Temporpedic, and a few others I can't remember their names. I've discovered which ones are to hot, as I'm a hot sleeper, and I've found I need a lot of support but something that comforts my pressure points.

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you kind spirits would mind sharing your experiences with me. What bed you have, what works, what doesn't, your conditions that may relate with mine. Anyways, thanks for listening

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles Dutchess!! Having the right mattress makes all the difference in the world. When hubby and I got our first appartment together we bought a cheap, clearanced floor model mattress and it was absolutely horrible. It crapped out in 4years and we decided to invest in a good mattress. I want to say its a Sealy but I'm not sure. We've had this one for 6 years and there aren't any noticable signs of wear.
Good luck on your search and I hope you find the mattress that works for you!!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I've had a chiropractor and a spine surgeon swear by the Sleep Number bed.

I don't have one (yet), so can't vouch for them, but it is on my list of "going to have's" - the medical testimonials were not from someone endorsing the product, but from doctor's answering the question "What kind of mattress do you have on your bed?"

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Oh, Dutchess, sleep is sooo important, if you don't get good rest it effects every part of your life, doesn't it??

Well, my bed is a Simmons Beauty rest, pillow top model, can't remember the exact model name, we've had it for 8 or so years and just love it. The pillow top is comfortable to the old arthritic joints, but the foundation is firm, which helps with back pain. We just love it.

My dad swears by his "swedish foam" mattress, have you tried one of those?? Kudos to the salesmen for being so customer friendly, you don't see taht much these days. Goood luck with the search.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
I do have a "Sleep Number bed", and I would recommend it to anyone!
I need a very firm mattress to keep my back from hurting and this has done the trick. My ex needed a rather soft mattress, so her side was set low, and it worked out well for us both.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
dutchess i feel YOUR PAIN , since i was 14 or 15 years old i had a water bed matress , 6 years ago , so was use to soft flowing and heated matress , when we moved here (i am now 37) we treated ourselves to a bedroom set of our liking and i shoped for matress and tried sevral and finally found one in the store that i felt so comfy on ,i almos droped dead on the flor when i too saw the price , well got the bedroom set home first night i slept so bad on it my husband kept telling me you'll get use to it , ( easy for him to say that man can sleep standing up oron nails lol) so 6 years after i still hate my matress , every morning i have back pain . ...i am still wondering to this day if the store really sent me the right matress i tried in the store .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I work for Select Comfort in customer service. Forums like this can be great resource when you're trying to make decisions about a future purchase. Thanks to "Lurks" for the kind words. I'm not in sales, so I'm not here to sell you a bed, but just want to let you know about some options I think relate to what you’re posting about and you may find helpful.

For hot sleepers, we have a mattress pad featuring OUTLAST® fabric technology which is designed to reduce the temperature swings that can cause restless nights. And since it's a mattress pad, you can use this on any mattress, not just our own! Here's a link: Select Comfort --> Accessories You can also get pillow protectors with this temperature balancing material and our 7000 and 9000 beds have it built into them too.

Of our bed owners who've previously experienced back pain, more than 90% report an improvement after switching to the Sleep Number bed. It's great for couples too, because it allows each of you to set your own firmness on each side of the bed.

You may want to explore the Sleep Number Memory Foam bed at Memory Foam Mattress. This is a completely new innovation we recently rolled out and is the only bed that combines the comfort and support of memory foam with the adjustability of the Sleep Number technology. You can read what AOL’s Heath blog, That’s Fit had to say about this new bed by reading our blog post The Slumber Party blog: Select Comfort Sleep Conversations.

You can also read what other people have to say about our products on Sleep Number Bed: Select Comfort under the heading "share the love".

James Freund

Select Comfort Customer Service

I'm a 40!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here we go into yet another Journey. Now that hubby is home, and caught up on some much needed sleep off we went to look at exchanging our bed on it's comfort exchange "you only get one". Well we've decided on a Kingsdown VIVALDI. I know the style name means nothing as every store is given a different style name, and although Kingdown does some kind of Diognostic Computer thingy to help you select a bed thats right for you, our store doesn't have it, nor do they see it as the best method for selecting a bed, which for the most part makes sense, sooo I can't tell you what number ours is. But I will let you all know how it feels after a few weeks of sleeping on it, as it takes my body longer to adjust to beds, well anything really. But I will keep you posted. It's due to arrive on the 27th.

I really want to thank everyone for their imput, it really meant a great deal to me. We almost went with a Sealy, but the ones we tried just didn't offer the support I need, and although the sleep number didn't feel to bad I am so sensitive to the slightest changes "meaning my body feels them more" that I couldn't get past the centre beam where it feels like you're about to fall in between two beds, but it did have a much cooler feel to it. So far that is my only concern with the feel of this new bed, is will it be to hot, but I guess we'll find out.
Thanks again everyone & I hope this thread may help others for when they decide to go bed shopping.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Is there anyone on this forum that has fibromyalgia? Sleep is a real problem and I was just wondering if you have something comfortable (besides a hundred pillows tucked everywhere). I have a new bed, but like Dutchess of Darkness it felt good at the store but doesn't work at all now. Warranty is expired. I hate tackling this issue. Ideas?

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Just my little mattress journey that I wanted to share. My husband and I went on a mattress hunt last May. My Mom suggested I try out her "Macy's Hotel Collection" bed. I slept in it one night and was totally hooked. Granted, hers was a King, and we were looking for a Queen size, but I was confidant it would work. Off we went to Macy's to find the Hotel Collection model my mom had. We get there and are told that they don't make that model anymore. Bummer, but we begin trying them out. Memory foam..too hot for me, pillow top, too mushy for him. Eventually we decide on a $2,800+ mattress with a quilted top. In the store it felt great. Well, due to a major health problem, I land in the hospital when the mattress is delivered, by the time I get out, our return has expired. Long story short, it's the worst bed ever. If you lay near the edge, the whole side buckles and your close to falling out (and I'm a lightweight!). The thing is hot all the time, and it seems to have little support. My husband is trying to convince me it's not the mattress, but my 4 poster bed that is giving the mattress no support. When I hit the lottery I will buy a new bed AND mattress...until then...lots of Ambien.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well bed #2 arrived today, For our comfort exchange we've gone with a Kingsdown Viviladi. I'll keep you posted as to how it works out. The Simmons Beauty Rest Rosalyn Black Collection just didn't work out for me, so cross your fingers this one is it. ALthough I'm hesitant on sleeping on it tonight with the AC/DC concert tomorrow, I don't want to risk waking up feeling like I got hit by a truck, or burning skin, so I'm debating about whether to sleep on the couch tonight:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts