Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been stuck in the house with a bad sinus infection instead of out in the workshop building, so I availed myself of the time and finished designing the cemetery gates I will be building in the next year or two. My wife says this project is "ambitious". :p

I still need to find a couple of gargoyles to affix to the tops of the two heavy-duty columns. Also, I need to figure out what hinge system I am going to use, along with a lock-plate for the front gates.

This older CAD program doesn't like attaching text to paths, so the name of the cemetery is just there as a placeholder.

I already have lanterns for the tops of the normal fence columns, and my father-in-law is setting me up with the four that will be affixed to the front of the gate columns.

I can't wait to get started on this...though this year's and next year's Halloween budget is already gone. :p

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,521 Posts
I believe it was the great Frank Barone who once said... "holy CRAP". Yeah, ambitious is a word that comes to mind. Aside from the budget and effort required to build these, my first thought is storage space. I'm assuming you've already thought of that. If not that'd be a slight oversight. :)

That said the design looks great, just like a real cemetery. I'd love to see these when complete. Hope you have the storage for those massive looking columns. (y) I'm just curious on how big of an area your front lawn has. This looks like an extremely grand entrance! This entrance sets the tone for an incredible cemetery contained within. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly! Storage was the first concern my wife brought up when I first showed her the sketch in my notebook. We currently have a three-bay garage in our new home, and plan on building a 300 sq. ft. storage shed in the near future. I am designing the gate columns to be held in place by a pin-lock system and 1/2" x 6" bolts. I want to be able to collapse this thing for easier storage. The fence sections are eight-foot panels, which will be hung on bicycle racks to keep them off the floor and out of the way. As for the fencing for the gate itself, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

We live on a huge curve-corner lot in our new subdivision that is approximately 16,500 sq. feet. Our house is situated on the south part of the lot so our driveway was in parallel with all the other driveways on the street instead of the curve, so that leaves an okay-sized front yard and a HUGE side yard with the public sidewalk running all along it. The distance from the start of my driveway to my property corner along the curve of the sidewalk is a whopping one-hundred and eighty-eight feet! It is going to take me a few years to fill all of that up...but I'll be starting with more fencing for next year. I made seventy-two feet of it this year, one column, and I'm working on another. Next year I'll put in another seventy-two feet and a few more columns. I plan for the entirety of it to be fenced in by Halloween 2021.

All of the old tombstones I made for my Call of Cthulhu LARP a few years back with 1 1/2" extruded polystyrene won't be doing this yard justice, so I have plans to make new ones in the coming years. Gotta put as much love and work into them as I am with this fence, columns, and gate!

The plan is to eventually turn two bays of our garage into a mausoleum with vaults, a flying crank ghost, and at least one animatronic skeleton breaking out of one of the vaults. We're getting some honeycrisp apple trees in the next year or two, and my wife's plan is to have a basket of those with a crockpot filled with melted caramel so she can make caramel apples for anyone that wants one. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I tip my hat to you for the scale of the project. I just finished two gate columns far more modest than this, and it took me two years just to do that...

Will be following this with great interest. Good luck, you will need it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Been stuck in the house with a bad sinus infection instead of out in the workshop building, so I availed myself of the time and finished designing the cemetery gates I will be building in the next year or two. My wife says this project is "ambitious". :p

I still need to find a couple of gargoyles to affix to the tops of the two heavy-duty columns. Also, I need to figure out what hinge system I am going to use, along with a lock-plate for the front gates.

This older CAD program doesn't like attaching text to paths, so the name of the cemetery is just there as a placeholder.

I already have lanterns for the tops of the normal fence columns, and my father-in-law is setting me up with the four that will be affixed to the front of the gate columns.

I can't wait to get started on this...though this year's and next year's Halloween budget is already gone. :p

View attachment 720718

View attachment 720719

View attachment 720720
I used gargoyles made by Design Toscano. The ones I bought this year are smaller than I wanted, but I'm making it work for now.
20190916_224540.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you kindly! Storage was the first concern my wife brought up when I first showed her the sketch in my notebook. We currently have a three-bay garage in our new home, and plan on building a 300 sq. ft. storage shed in the near future. I am designing the gate columns to be held in place by a pin-lock system and 1/2" x 6" bolts. I want to be able to collapse this thing for easier storage. The fence sections are eight-foot panels, which will be hung on bicycle racks to keep them off the floor and out of the way. As for the fencing for the gate itself, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

We live on a huge curve-corner lot in our new subdivision that is approximately 16,500 sq. feet. Our house is situated on the south part of the lot so our driveway was in parallel with all the other driveways on the street instead of the curve, so that leaves an okay-sized front yard and a HUGE side yard with the public sidewalk running all along it. The distance from the start of my driveway to my property corner along the curve of the sidewalk is a whopping one-hundred and eighty-eight feet! It is going to take me a few years to fill all of that up...but I'll be starting with more fencing for next year. I made seventy-two feet of it this year, one column, and I'm working on another. Next year I'll put in another seventy-two feet and a few more columns. I plan for the entirety of it to be fenced in by Halloween 2021.

All of the old tombstones I made for my Call of Cthulhu LARP a few years back with 1 1/2" extruded polystyrene won't be doing this yard justice, so I have plans to make new ones in the coming years. Gotta put as much love and work into them as I am with this fence, columns, and gate!

The plan is to eventually turn two bays of our garage into a mausoleum with vaults, a flying crank ghost, and at least one animatronic skeleton breaking out of one of the vaults. We're getting some honeycrisp apple trees in the next year or two, and my wife's plan is to have a basket of those with a crockpot filled with melted caramel so she can make caramel apples for anyone that wants one. :)
I used piano hinges on mine so the illars can fold up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 720718

View attachment 720719

View attachment 720720
looks awesomely me can’t Wait to see it when it’s done

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
Amazing designs all around. I hope to put in a cemetary arch and gate this year, but do not know if I will have the time. plus not sure where to store it, so the idea of the hinges and folding them up is a great idea. You guys are inspiring me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@cpidgeon "Do you have photos / diagram of how you built yours and where you put the hinges?"
3/4 inch plywood with foam glued to it. I cut foam into brick size filed edges to make it look rough and painted. I will post pics soon. I’m used nuts that hammer into the wood for the bolts to attach. I want to put some gargoyles on top this year

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today my father-in-law brought over a bunch of wall lanterns and such that he had in storage. It was a damn good score! Now I have four excellent front-mounted lanterns for the gates when I build them, plus another eight more for other things if I need them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts