Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to build a static prop similar to the one pictured below for this year, but I'm at a loss on some specific design specs.

In my idea, this dude would be gripping a plaster pedestal (bought it at hobby lobby for like $15) with one hand and reaching up to smack some poor unsuspecting wanderer with the other. I plan on using the top half of a home depot poseable skelly, with the legs reattached where the arms were, and no legs. This poses some stability issues that I think I can solve by reinforcing the bones and rib cage with dowel rods and great stuff.

The problem I have is storage space. All told this thing would stand roughly 5.5 to 6 feet tall, with an arm span of several feet. I want to make this thing so that it can be disassembled, but still be stable enough to stand up and not interfere with the corpsing it will undergo. The arms have to secure to the torso so that they hold their pose/weight of the body, but still be removable. I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to do that.

Obviously the sand is running out of the hourglass, so I may just have to sit on this one for next year. Any and all thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You could use an pvc elbow and have half an arm and base on one piece and the upper half on the other. This makes it easier to store and assembly would be a few twists. Maybe use 3/4 PVC or 1/2 galvanized pipe. Then put a flange on the base to support the weight and elbow straight into a base/flange. With that in place it would be much easier to work around and get a feel of the look. You will have to use a heat gun to melt the arms into that position.

You probably could stop at the first elbow from the bottom if using a skely. Just use a threaded nipple to connect the two halves. If you built this with latex and wire form then I would use a similar armature as pictured.

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,815 Posts
Definitely think that could be done using a skelly as a base, but also think there may not be enough time left this year. Not sure about the dowels as reinforcement?

The big issue I see is the plaster pedestal: That will not be easy to use as a base if it's plaster or that harder ceramic-like type of pedestal I'm thinking of; it's not stable/strong stuff if you start drilling into it.

It may break easily (fracture) if you cut/drill into it or otherwise attach a LARGE prop to it or using it as a base and cutting holes into it will likely not work out the way you think. I have had a pedestal and also used to have a large urn made from different types of plaster, and they both are easily broken (the urn was solid and broke just setting it down one year). The pedestal is a bit like ceramic - I might be able to drill a hole in it with the correct drill bit, but I would not attempt to use it to attach anything with any weight to it because it would just break or at best fall over.

I'd suggest maybe creating the base using PVC and rebar driven into the ground, and then hiding the rebar support area using something like a lightweight tombstone covering it (could be made to split into front/back so you can easily put on over the ground area) or even a well, a fake tree stump, a large rotting pumpkin...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was a bit worried about cutting into the pedestal as well. Not sure it can be done in a way that will support weight.

I had thought about using a pipe or rod running up from a base into the spine (painted black to hide it) and then figuring out how to make the arms and torso detachable from each other and the base. Then the pedestal would be there for looks and not a load bearing support. A tombstone next it might help hide the support bar. Cracked in half like the ghoul just broke out would be cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts