Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a 19-year-old college student depressed on Halloween. I noticed this happening last year. I think it's postpartum Halloween depression. Simply put, I miss Halloween as a child. I'm a normal college student. I go out to parties with friends and everything so it's not like I'm lonely around this time. I miss all of the festivities leading up to Halloween and of course, the biggest day of the month, Halloween itself.

I guess I had a great childhood and I can't seem to let go of those memories during this time of the year. This is the way for Christmas. Right now, I'm sitting at home doing homework and I can't stop thinking about this day. I didn't go to a fun costume parties, didn't carve pumpkins, somewhat decorated the house (but I live in a gated house so no one even stops by on Halloween). I didn't get to do any fun community festivities like go to community halloween events, go to a haunted house, or a pumpkin patch. My best friends are also away at college in different towns, which makes everything suckier.

I did try and do some festive things. Decorated the house a bit. Watched some of my favorite childhood halloween movie (Halloweentown!), made some decoartive festive Halloween foods but that still didn't help much.

Does anyone else get depressed during this time of the year?
Are you okay man, it is 2 years since you posted this and I feel the same way wight now. My family is separated in different cities with no way to see each other and it’s really depressing for all of us. Just letting u know you’re not alone.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,333 Posts
i realize this is a necro-thread, and that i already replied to it a couple years ago, but man, it's like i wrote the OP. there's something from my childhood i've never been able to get back about halloween, and about christmas and other holidays and the rest of life too, i suppose. i try to still make a big deal out of halloween these days, and i've had some really enjoyable ones in my adult years, but it's like using a hammer on a screw--it just feels like i'm not using the tool suited to the job.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I barely ever got to do anything on Halloween when I was in college as it always fell mid-week. I know exactly how you feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a 19-year-old college student depressed on Halloween. I noticed this happening last year. I think it's postpartum Halloween depression. Simply put, I miss Halloween as a child. I'm a normal college student. I go out to parties with friends and everything so it's not like I'm lonely around this time. I miss all of the festivities leading up to Halloween and of course, the biggest day of the month, Halloween itself.

I guess I had a great childhood and I can't seem to let go of those memories during this time of the year. This is the way for Christmas. Right now, I'm sitting at home doing homework and I can't stop thinking about this day. I didn't go to a fun costume parties, didn't carve pumpkins, somewhat decorated the house (but I live in a gated house so no one even stops by on Halloween). I didn't get to do any fun community festivities like go to community halloween events, go to a haunted house, or a pumpkin patch. My best friends are also away at college in different towns, which makes everything suckier.

I did try and do some festive things. Decorated the house a bit. Watched some of my favorite childhood halloween movie (Halloweentown!), made some decoartive festive Halloween foods but that still didn't help much.

Does anyone else get depressed during this time of the year?
For some odd reason I get really sad on Halloween every year. I'm a very social person too but even if I have plans, I feel this Halloween sadness come over me. I could'nt pin point it for years. but living alone and both of my parents passed, I think seeing the families together around the neighborhoods and hearing the kids, it just triggers something inside of me. And to be clear, i'm not jealous or envious of it. I just get sad. I felt so much as a kid. I rarely feel things now the way I used to. Its like all things back then had a feeling to them, smells, songs, holidays, and now everything Is just like business, you know? You're so present as a child and you absorb everything. I rarely absorb and am rarely present now but when Halloween rolls around, I do feel. I feel nostalgic. I think that's it. haha. Idk but thanks for reading. Find me on IG if you ever want to talk @theshitsince1986

·
Registered
2 Posts
i realize this is a necro-thread, and that i already replied to it a couple years ago, but man, it's like i wrote the OP. there's something from my childhood i've never been able to get back about halloween, and about christmas and other holidays and the rest of life too, i suppose. i try to still make a big deal out of halloween these days, and i've had some really enjoyable ones in my adult years, but it's like using a hammer on a screw--it just feels like i'm not using the tool suited to the job.
I think our expectations are so low as children. We don't realize then that those moments don't last forever. We're very present and captivated, we have our guards down. It's funny how something so simple as going door to door with your mom or dad asking for free candy would be something you'd carry with you forever.

·
Registered
967 Posts
So I have definitely felt this way. And everyone has hit it on the head as far as not being able to re-capture childhood.
I did have some pretty bad depression last year to where literally nothing meant anything to me, including my party, that used to be all I could talk about all year.

Something that I need to start doing is making a list of things I want to do to celebrate the season and scheduling them.
Its so easy to let weekend after weekend get away from you and all of a sudden Halloween is next week and you've done nothing.
There would be more to do if Covid didn't ruin things but still... like pick 4 or 5 things and put them on the calendar.
Stuff like:
Watch Nightmare Before Christmas and hot chocolate - remind yourself to obtain hot chocolate and maybe new Halloween jammies
Carve a pumpkin
Walk through a cemetery

Its sort've depressing in itself that as adults, fun has to be scheduled but its so easy to just let time pass and then you don't know what day it is and well I didn't get the apples to caramel so I guess I'll just watch Friends episodes instead.

Ugh, hugs everyone.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just get depressed after Halloween...but I'm learning to find coping mechanisms to adjust to it with trying to embrace it year round although it can be hard.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts