Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girl is down and can't get up! I bought an "as is" Demonica (current model with the purple coloring and adapter). She's gorgeous and I'm really happy I got her despite her problems!

She had two problems 1) she didn't rise and 2) her head wouldn't tilt. Discovered one of the wires looked pinched and was almost completely severed so hubby spliced, sodered and heat wrapped back together. Got that problem solved and she now tilts her head. Now the only thing not working is the portion of her that rises. The motor runs, so the wiring must be OK, but the rising mechanism apparently is not engaging whatever travels up the teeth on the post is my best guess. I'm kind of afraid to run her for fear of burning out the motor.

Haven't opened anything up yet, and not sure what to open, and thought it best to see if anyone has had this issue with either Demonica or Damien and fixed it and could give some guidance. Thanks. I can see why so many people on HF have posted they bought her. Awesome looking prop and I wasn't sure I'd like the purple coloring, but I do.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Anything with the gears inside can be very tough if not impossible to fix. So much so, I wouldn't recommend trying. I've never had any success trying those fixes. If you really like the prop, consider getting a new one that works. I have her and I love it too, even having to fix the head wire like you did. But gearing is not fixable, in my experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MurrayTX, Yes, my Demonica was one of those two you saw listed on HA actually! so don't double count this problem with her :D . I forgot what was wrong with the other one, maybe it was static, can't recall. I chose mine because I planned on using her with turning head, lit eyes and gnarling sounds "as is" by putting her in a chained "broken open" coffin with just her upper torso and head visble. For a scratch and dent she was well worth the reduced price to use her in that fashion for my purposes. However, since we have now tinkered with her and got her head tilting too, I'm hoping we can fully resurrect her with some time and effort on our part and some assistance from those here.

i've read a post about someone having an issue not with the rising but with the head tilting not working. Reverse of what I have. Also read someone reattached a belt in the base and someone replaced an O-ring somewhere and got theirs to function but don't know if that applies to my situation.

From everything I've read the first version of Demonica had some problems but she was reworked and re-released and quite honestly she is super easy to assemble and I love how she works. If I can only get the rising problem fixed, I will be super happy with her. I understand that Damien was constructed and operated just like the revised version of her. Lots of people seem happy with her and I haven't seen many comments about problems with Damien so you're probably OK. Did you set him up and run him prior to storing?

Shockwave, if we're not successful in resolving the remaining issue, I still plan on using her as planned, only now maybe with a deeper coffin to accomodate the tilted head movement. I think her hands would look great coming out of the broken thru coffin lid.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
GoS, I have your version of Demonic as well, bought her a few years back on CL for cheap. She was still working flawlessly til I discovered last year that her head broke off from piece of plastic bracket attached to neck. I was so bummed, It was on Halloween day that I discovered this, had no time to look into it so I just rigged it up to stay put but just used as static because the head would fall with the rising and side to side motion of t he head. Need to make time to take her out of storage and see if I can reattach head

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Ghost of Spookie,
Not sure if you are into pneumatics at all, but that would be a great alternative to fix the rise problem. It would take a little revamping but should be very doable.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer Scorpion and bad timing. I noticed when setting her up that her head connection fits and locks into one side of the main body connector. I pretty much needed a screwdriver or something like that to push in the clip to get it to release on mine. My dad who's long retired now use to be able to make us nylon replacement parts for things at work (machinist with tool and die experience). Came in handy on occasion when you couldn't find a part. Maybe those 3D printers will eventually be helpful for things like broken prop parts you can't buy from the mfgr. or elsewhere. I just wish Gemmy and Tekky either sold replacement parts for common things that break on the props or provided a source where we could buy them.

J-Man, not a viable option for us. Beyond our skills and it probably involves more money than we'd want to invest in it anyway. For someone else i'm sure that would be a good option.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
GoS, last I remember was that it was some kind of support bracket...matter of fact, need to pull her out and get that straight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts