Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tempted to add some "meat" at some point, but this is my last build for this year. It is a demon made from a pose-n-play skeleton, and the legbones from a second skeleton (currently serving as a groundbreaker). I used black spray paint first and let it dry a couple days, then used red over the top and wiped it off as I went. Wings are made from a black lace-like fabric and some floating row cover that was in the garden 2 yrs. The horns are from a headband I got at the costume area of Goodwill (I had to carve the bottom of the horns to fit the skull) and they were attached with a screw and then Kwikweld. This was fun but time consuming (like all props, I guess) and I am glad he is done for now.

IMG_20191019_111135-1.jpg IMG_20191018_203530.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is awesome. Besides the legs from another skeleton what are the other bones in the wings from?
Have you ever seen the "bag of bones" they sell (usually in a black net bag, like the bag onions come in)? They came from there and in one place I needed more length and I stole just the fingers off the hand from the bag, then screwed it onto the bone that was short.

I sorta figured I would make a bony windchime from the leftover bones but ... instead I'm taking a page from your book and working on a photo op backdrop for the Mike Meyers and Werewolf props. If any kids are brave enough to stand between them ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Have you ever seen the "bag of bones" they sell (usually in a black net bag, like the bag onions come in)? They came from there and in one place I needed more length and I stole just the fingers off the hand from the bag, then screwed it onto the bone that was short.

I sorta figured I would make a bony windchime from the leftover bones but ... instead I'm taking a page from your book and working on a photo op backdrop for the Mike Meyers and Werewolf props. If any kids are brave enough to stand between them ;)
Thanks. Looks like I will need to get myself some more of those bags of bones. I would like to make something similar to put in the cemetery. Might make him more of a reaper type though rather than the devil/demon.

Do you have pics. of the back? Or how or where you attached the leg bones to make the wings?

I bet the kids will like having an opportunity to get pics with your props, at least those who are brave enough to pose for one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll snap some pics tonight of the back. Attaching the leg bones was the trickiest part. I wanted a certain look and it worked on one side but not the other (not as well). A round femoral head on a sloped shoulder blade is just not the best way to get precision alignment ... holding it in place while screwing them down was a whole body exercise. I should probably get more Kwikweld to strengthen that joint, too, I might do that after seeing how it holds up for a couple weeks. Sometimes what I think will be the weak points wind up being no problem, and some other piece becomes the issue.

The knees I just used the click-lock function to get the shape I wanted there. That wasn't too bad, and this skelly had nice tight knees.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'll snap some pics tonight of the back. Attaching the leg bones was the trickiest part. I wanted a certain look and it worked on one side but not the other (not as well). A round femoral head on a sloped shoulder blade is just not the best way to get precision alignment ... holding it in place while screwing them down was a whole body exercise. I should probably get more Kwikweld to strengthen that joint, too, I might do that after seeing how it holds up for a couple weeks. Sometimes what I think will be the weak points wind up being no problem, and some other piece becomes the issue.

The knees I just used the click-lock function to get the shape I wanted there. That wasn't too bad, and this skelly had nice tight knees.
LOL!! It's amazing the work out we sometimes get from building a prop, not to mention some of the weird positions one must be in in order to attach a piece somewhere and the need most times for loooong skinny fingers.

I appreciate you taking some more pics when you get the chance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here are pics of the way the femurs attach to the shoulder. I screwed them in and used some 80# test dacron fishing line as a backup. I have this in front of a tree, so I wasn't worried about making it look good. I need to touch up the paint on the back, he was moved around a lot in the house and rubbed a few doorframes in the process, oops.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
View attachment 724346 View attachment 724347

Here are pics of the way the femurs attach to the shoulder. I screwed them in and used some 80# test dacron fishing line as a backup. I have this in front of a tree, so I wasn't worried about making it look good. I need to touch up the paint on the back, he was moved around a lot in the house and rubbed a few doorframes in the process, oops.
Awesome. Thanks for the pics. I was picturing the attachments up more around the collar bone or the leg bone tucked down between the collar bone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts