Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has requested dementors for this year, so in addition to my one other big project I am creating these. Started out with a milk jug skull

Photograph White Light Product Jaw

Cut a 8 ft long piece of wire, made a twist in the center of it, stuck it through the top of the skull, filled the skull with expanding foam to add rigidity and to lock the wire in place, added a pool noodle neck, took a PVC T fitting and drilled a hole in it to accept the wire, and then pushed pool noodles onto the wire to create the arms.
Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Beige
Road surface Asphalt Grey Flash photography Headgear
Fluid Cylinder Gas Composite material Auto part
Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle wheel Vehicle

hands were made from a chunk of noddle to form the wrists with wires stuck into it. I then used plastic tubing to make the hand and finger bones
Asphalt Road surface Composite material Concrete Natural material
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Rim Motor vehicle

I added some foil balls for knuckles then wrapped in tape. It will get a coating of adhesive to seal it all later
Sleeve Automotive tire Tire Electric blue Vehicle

I wanted to option to either hang or stick on the end of a pole hence the wire loop and the PVC T fitting
Tire Wheel Bicycle fork Bicycle tire Gas

i also added wire loops to the back of the neck, and the back of the hands

Electric blue Human leg Machine Rectangle Thigh

AND repeat 2 more times, yes I am making 3. next step, chest and fabric....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a great design. I’ve seen people talk about milk jug skulls… do you use a heat gun on it to get it to conform to the skull shape?
Yes. Just use a heat gun, and heat in small sections at a time. While it's hot and pliable you press it onto the surface. there is some technique to it but it's not hard. there are a ton of how to videos on youtube and I am sure some on the forum somewhere. They do not really pick up great detail though, just give the overall shape, and some indication of eyes sockets and nasal cavities. And of course there's the wrinkles from excess plastic, but they are lightweight practically free and if you don't get to worried about getting detailed with it too much it;s fast to make one, once you get the hang of it

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
built out the chest with some strips of pool noodles, i temporarily used an old container to help form it, then removed it after ward and placed it on the rest of the body. ten i added a strip to represent the sternum to cover up the rib attachments and added 2 more strips to mimic clavicles. all of the "gluing" of the pool noodles to themselves was just done by briefly heating them and fusing them together. no glue needed.
Tire Glove Automotive tire Shelf Sportswear
Art Mythical creature Sculpture Headgear Wood

then put a plastic bag over it, and cut out the face area, then used a heat gun to melt the bag to corpse it....Again, 3 times...

Plant Hat Sleeve Headgear Automotive exterior

Plant Sculpture Statue Art Houseplant

·
Registered
Pirates
225 Posts
I love learning about more things I can melt with my heat gun!! :cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so I have 2 out of 3 of these done. I used landscape fabric for the robes. i used a heat gun very cautiously to achieve a sort of rotted moth-eaten look.
Statue Fashion design Art Plant Personal protective equipment
Sleeve Bag Grey Headgear Collar
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Grey Collar

then coated them with paste to stiffen. I tried propping some of the shredded parts of the fabric to make then stick up to mimic the floating effect they have in the movies. It worked mostly, but when I coated them with flat black latex paint after the fact it sagged back down and lost most of it.
Wood Twig Art Ceiling Metal
Art Fashion design Fictional character Costume design Fiction

Waste container Waste containment Automotive design Art Wood

I am going to try with only spray paint on the last one to see if it makes a difference. for the 2 I got finished, I added some cheese cloth I dyed by soaking in some thinned out black latex paint and I hid some wire in it to make it "float". I think it came out pretty well.

Wood World Art Twig Trunk

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts