Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I set up my graveyard, I noticed I've got about $600 in resin tombstones in the yard. I live in a good neighborhood, but I still worry. I haven't set much else up, but I'm concerned about someone taking them in the middle of the night. I've got them lit up with a couple of blue flood lights, but still I worry.

My question is....What do you guys do in order to protect your pricey stuff that's out in your yard? What precautions do you take to secure them?

·
Registered
600 Posts
55mm on the roof, Mines planted on the lawn and a few other surprises planted around. LOL

Really I have alot of neighbors and the local town watch keeping an eye on things and of course my dog helps out alot.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
As much as I would love to put a lot out the weeks leading up to Halloween, I restrict my decorating to a few cheap foam tombstones to let peope know we're doing something. All the "good stuff" goes out either the night before or the day of. I've never had anything taken, and don't want to start now. Even in nice neighborhoods, it just takes one jerk to decide he wants your stuff, or that he wants to break your stuff. Keep it well lit. you can purchase inexpensive fake CCTV cameras to place around, giving the appearance that the display is being monitored. Having people keep an eye on it also helps. It's a gamble to be sure.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Good stuff goes out the day before. I don't take the chance. Same situation, I live in a good neighborhood but a drive-thru could ruin things real fast.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The only thing that I can really do is not set up until the day before Halloween. I would wait until Halloween day but then I wouldn't have a chance at setting up the lighting the way I want it. So pretty much everything goes up the night before expect the latex props like bats and decapitated heads and stuff like that. I also usually stay up until about 1 am periodically looking out the windows and even going outside and looking around. Then after the TOTing is over I put everything away. Usually starting taking stuff down about 9:30 and this year I don't plan on being done until probably midnight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Motion lights work wonders. We had kids messing with the display after show hours. So I added the motion lights (several), a few warning signs "Smile You're on Camera"; and a few freshly baked cookies to the cops that patrol our neighborhood all worked wonders. One year I hooked up a CD player to come on via motion detector and it play the song from the TV show Cops...."bad boys, bad boys, what are you going do when they come for you" . It was funny, yet effective. But that motion detector was a little too sensitive and went off far too often.

Oh and almost all of my items are fastened down. They can be removed with a little work, but you can't just grab them and run.

·
Undertaker
3,165 Posts
As much as I would love to put a lot out the weeks leading up to Halloween, I restrict my decorating to a few cheap foam tombstones to let peope know we're doing something. All the "good stuff" goes out either the night before or the day of. I've never had anything taken, and don't want to start now. Even in nice neighborhoods, it just takes one jerk to decide he wants your stuff, or that he wants to break your stuff. Keep it well lit. you can purchase inexpensive fake CCTV cameras to place around, giving the appearance that the display is being monitored. Having people keep an eye on it also helps. It's a gamble to be sure.
I pretty much follow JDubbyas security protocols......I work midnights so I'm often walking in the cemetery at all hours of the night. Keeps them away.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, there is a surprisingly large amount of Haunters that don't put out their props until the day of. That surprises me!

·
Undertaker
3,165 Posts
Wow, there is a surprisingly large amount of Haunters that don't put out their props until the day of. That surprises me!
My stuff goes out a little every few days approximately 14 days before Hallowen. I like many haunters do not put out the "good stuff" until the day before and day of. This prevents looting and damage to the props.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Shockwave199
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing