Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple windows on the front of my house, they are hidden a bit by the porch. I WANT to decorate them, but I also worry they won't be seen very well because of the porch. Here are the windows in question (two to the left of the door, and the picture window to the right of the door).

IMG_20200615_194515~2.jpg

The front lawn becomes a cemetery that starts just to the right of the porch steps (and snakes around towards the neighbor's yard).

I keep looking for some cool window posters to use, but most of them are zombies or sorta cute. My yard with the cemetery is mainly spooky. The tombstones have little vignettes (accessorizing a tombstone is a BLAST if you ask me). I kind of want the front windows to have that same spooky/creepy vibe. This is one idea I loved, and creepy cloth is not a lot of money. I'd need to figure out the skull (maybe its a shower curtain?) but for the picture window this would be pretty sweet. I'm stuck on how to replicate this for the two normal windows, though.

Screenshot_20200901-074446_Chrome.jpg

Another inspiration picture ... we have black lights and the larger picture window is in a room we really don't use. So having a quickie cheesecloth ghost in the window would be very doable on that side, but not on the other side (we do use the room with the two double hung windows, a lot).

Screenshot_20200901-075148_Chrome.jpg

So ... thoughts? Since they are hidden is it worth using the windows? Or better to maybe focus on the center window upstairs as a spooky point of interest, and make the yard phenomenal? Any brilliant window ideas (that won't kill my prop-making dance card ... it's pretty full now).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do projector in the one window and orange table clothes in the others with various flickering lights. A couple I even make some board like shapes out of foam sheets so when the lights flicker the window looks boarded up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,333 Posts
I don't have any grand ideas but I think if done right and lit well, the downstairs windows would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I only decorate on TOT night. Buy every October, I prop a hooded ghoul in an upper window. No big lighting or drama; and no other decorations except for a Happy Halloween flag on the mailbox. Nothing to see here - just a nice normal house with a creepy figure looking out of an upstairs window. People have told me that it's scarier than 'regular' Halloween decor.

·
The Haunting Girl
937 Posts
Always do the windows! People will notice even if you just do something super basic. I rent so I can only control half the windows in my house, but my landlords always at least hang up the cheap themed window covers (usually skeletons or something). Upstairs I have dormers that I block off and set up a scene in each one. Every year people always freak out at Creepy Guy which is just a male mannequin torso with a carved funkin balanced on top in a black hoodie. I also have a dormer full of dolls and the third one usually changes every couple of years. It's had spiderwebs, just a haunted hall with a flickering 'Beware' sign, lasers, etc.

Windows are the best since you don't have to worry about weather or theft/damage. They can make a huge impact too. It can complete the scene if you're decorating your yard. It always struck me as odd when people went all out on their yards, but you can clearly see inside the house and it looks... Normal with the family watching regular TV or just doing normal stuff. Like, guys... You're killing the illusion. All anyone has to do is at least hang up some cheap plastic window covers that hide the non-haunt activity happening inside the house.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My house is like yours in that it’s got a full length covered front porch. I always do the front windows and change out all the porch can lights to red or green with maybe one or two black lights depending on what the rest of the decorations are.

The black Lilith tip in the porch lights will make things that are luminous in the windows “pop” more. Also, you can draw attention to the windows with some fake boards on the windows, or single candles on the bottom sill (like you see around Christmas time in the NE.)

The key is lighting. Treat your front porch like a stage. Light it as such - down lighting, foot lighting on the bottom front edge and then pin spots to highlight elements.

Remember, it’s all basically theatrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of big light-up eyes that I put in the downstairs windows (the kind where each eye is separate, and has a small string of lights to illuminate the artwork). The size means they are easily visible even with me and my hanging decor on the porch

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Definitely do a door projection. You have the perfect straight on view. You just would need to mount it vertical and get some vertical files. Reverse the image from inside and have it projecting out the door rather then in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm making progress on the windows, got a shower curtain that mostly fits the windows. The shower curtain doesn't have quite enough contrast but I can amp that up with some sharpie work, I hope. Here's a comparison of where I want to be & where the shower curtain got me. Creepy cloth is still in the shed, but it will help I think. And I should dial down the orange in the lightbulb color.

Screenshot_20200901-074446_Chrome.jpg 20200913_202727.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick pic of the shower curtain as I increase contrast. The first pic shows Original Curtain in daylight, then at night. And the improved image is with Sharpie plus some wood stain markers I had laying around (Mahogany and Oak colors). It's getting there, it's a nice quiet project when I feel like working on something less messy (I put a tarp under the shower curtain, the sharpie bleeds thru the back). I need to amp up part of the cranium outline and more on the brows still, but I'm liking this as a super quick window decoration. I mean, quick to put up and take down ... maybe not so quick to sharpie everything to death.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the upstairs windows you could make some windowkins. Here’s a few examples of the ones I’ve made over the years.
View attachment 737365
Did you make those from black eva foam or poster board or? They look great, I've always been worried about how to store those so they stay FLAT and the points stay crisp. Has that been an issue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts