Halloween Forum banner

Decorating a car with...

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Gym Whourlfeld 
#1 ·
...a skeleton? I just wondered about attaching a blucky skeleton to the top of a car as though he's holding on to the sides. Is this legal? Would this distract other drivers? Could it become a lethal object if it went flying off somewhere? Just wondering what others thoughts were on this. Thanks for any input. :D

#3 ·
I think it would only be an issue if it is not secured and falls off the car. Twice in the same week this year I saw Christmas trees fall out of a truck (might have been the same truck) and also saw someone walking out onto the freeway to pick up their skis that had fallen off that same week. I think you would be pushing it with a blucky since they come apart so easy, so you'd have to tie down every "bone" separately

#5 ·
I would definitely add new joints to it, maybe even an entire structure for it. I just didn't know if that, no matter how well secured, if any laws prohibit objects to be on the outside of moving vehicles. Although people do tie Christmas trees to their cars, don't they?

Theft would also be a possibility when it is parked, I guess.

#13 ·
28 years ago I bolted a skeleton to his motorcycle then bolted them both to the side of my car (See www.hauntedravensgrin.com)
At least back then, in Illinois, you could have strange things attached to the passenger side of your car as long as they were not protruding more than 9 inches?
I sawed the old dirt bike in half, length-wise which taught me how strong steel dirt bike frames can be!
I made the skeleton myself from pvc, sheet metal, styrofoam and Bondo, not something I would recommend it was very time consuming , but it did fool medical people into asking me "Where did you get the real skeleton?"
Having my Ex pull out infront of a Volvo going 55MPH and get "T-Boned" did help much in creating the required space for all of this to be able to happen. (I don't recommend calling her and asking her to drive your car either.)
The 79 Thunder Bird was declared "Totaled" but the insurance crooks didn't want to part with enough money, so I kept the car, fixed it enough and hit the road with it, terrifying a great number of people along the road and driving in the road.
I was NEVER pulled over by any Policeman anywhere and I did drive this car to Chicago and as far south as New Orleans. A former Co. Sherriff lied to one of his jailbirds and said he had pulled me over countless times and issued me numerous tickets-Nope, never even once, anywhere, but laws by you may vary.
I eventually removed the bike and it's Boney rider after many years of drunks punching him, pulling on him, and attempting to steal his fiberglass WW2 German helmet from his head, because it was not made to actually handle that kind of vandalistic abuse and I was concerned that they may have weakened some of it and parts might begin a trail down the road behind me.
Everybody wanted to steal his helmet, so I took ribbed tape , pushed numerous carpet tacks through it , stuck it under the edge of the helmet and suddenly nobody was taking the time to pull on it anymore?
I was waiting for the time I would walk out of my house to find some drunk messing with this car. I would dream about simply smacking that person flat across their shoulder blades with a baseball bat and say:"Sorry! YOU were Drunk!" (instead of them saying ,"Sorry I was drunk." As they would suddenly quit pulling or kicking my guy as I appeared .
My test once something like this went on a car was to get a lonely piece of road and watch everything closely as you exceed the legal posted limits for just a while, try a bumpy road too, check bolts and washers often and use locking nuts when possible. Welded steel is good too.

#14 ·
Oh, amusing story, Gym. That's one of my worries doing this. Theft. I was hoping to avoid metal anchoring, especially since this would only be for October, but I might have to consider it.

#15 ·
Vibration will wear paint off, even at low speeds and even when plastic instead of metal is doing the vibrating. My current car is an old Olds station wagon with a factory supplied suitcase rack which sure does help much-o!
Those nylon quik-ties which do come in numerous lengths and thicknesses and can be very strong might be the thing to investigate.
I was given small skull tire stem covers, they were really neat, they were soon gone, stolen. (They were just too cute, tempting!) I guess?
I have the mindless luxury to just drill holes and use pop rivets or bolts or threaded long rods (Cut to fit by You!)
My Second major change in the decorations on my first Spooky car , I welded a steel skull and it popped up from a little steel door in the nose of the car, via an electric trunk lock and a 79 Thunder Bird vacuum headlight operator to actually raise the hatch. The steel skull could then look from side to side as I pulled on a small steel cable against a spring that then pulled it back away from my pull.
I had a speaker under the hood and a nylon fishing pole holding a phoney Hershey bar out in front as I used the speaker to taunt the kids along the parade route saying:"What's the matter? Doesn't anybody like Hershey bars anymore?"
(As everyone else was throwing hand fulls of small treats to the kids.
You can see some pictures at hauntedravensgrin.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.