Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Something I did a number of years ago on a cheap Blucky (getting stuff to stick to that plastic can be a real challange): latex house paint and strips of newspaper.

Got some "oops" paint from Home Depot (a couple quarts - one was some red-ish color, the other kind of a medium-dark tan), mixed them, mixed in a touch of black to darken it appropriately (wanted dark reddish-brown), and dipped in strips of newspaper and applied to the Blucky.
Just like paper mache, but the medium was latex paint instead of flour/cornstarch/glue/salt mix.
I was able to wrinkle and fold the paper while it was wet for more effect, and leave "bone" showing through where I wanted.
The latex paint, and the plastic skeleton, give it some flexibility - at least enough that no cracking or peeling has happened.
I still have it and use it - this might be one of the most durable props I've done.
Water has no effect, sun has no effect (so far), and it didn't need any further sealing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here are some Wally sentinels that I did using the paper towel, spiderweb & latex paint technique. Final coat is walnut stain sprayed on using an old Windex bottle. DSC01391m.jpg DSC01392m.jpg

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ugly Joe and FearingtonHOuse...I think you guys are onto something!!

GREAT skelle FearingtonHOuse...that's what I am leaning towards!!!!

Can you elaborate a bit more on the latex, paper towel spider web combo

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,022 Posts
I got pretty good detail on a cheap Rite Aid skelly with the Stiltbeast method. I used softer plastic stretch wrap instead of the stiffer plastic or grocery bags. Wood stain as a base followed by detail painting with acrylics.I may go back over it before next year and add some veining with hot glue or rubber cement.

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How does everyone keep the wood stain from staining the exposed bones?

·
Registered
438 Posts
How does everyone keep the wood stain from staining the exposed bones?
Good question. We all know it's super cool to leave some bones area uncovered. So, when I'm spraying stain all over the poor, dead guy...I just make sure to wipe off any uncovered bone areas before setting it to dry. There's no rush to do this (IMO), since you probably don't want the super white bones showing through, but instead, it makes these naked bone areas look slightly aged to match the rest of the corpse, while still providing good contrast. My 2 cents!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit more on the latex, paper towel spider web combo
Thanks for the compliments, Bakke!

I borrowed this idea from some other forum member years ago, so it's not mine, but I really like it!

Supplies:
-Paper towels that don't have a colored pattern
-Oops paint from Home Depot/Lowe's, no crazy colors. I like off-white or skin tones.
-Cheap-O spider webs from dollar store (some have plastic spiders which are a bonus!)
-Walnut stain
-Spray bottle (old Windex/409 kind is fine)
-Latex/Vinyl gloves
-Skellie of your choice (I've done Bucky's, Wally's & Blucky's and all are great)
-Drop cloth under skellie
-Optional: spanish moss, several strings from jute erosion cloth cut to various lengths

How-To:
=Glove up!
=Tear the perimeter, factory cut, edge off from all four sides of paper towel (you don't want straight edges). Then tear into manageable strips (about 4" or so).
=Dip paper towel in paint and remove excess paint with your fingers so you don't drip everywhere
=Apply paper towels to skellie...tearing in some areas for effect
=Tear off small pieces of spider webbing. Do the same dunk & apply thing. You can stretch the webbing across bones for effect.
=Optional: for those hangie-down things, I apply a few strings of jute erosion control cloth
=Allow to dry (couple of days)
=Spray entire corpse with stain. Remove any puddling areas of stain & wipe excess off bare bone areas. Allow to dry (~week)

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
That looks great FearingtonHouse, I worked on some skulls this year using latex, Apoxy Sculpt and stain (leather stain), OMB I would recommend you try to change the teeth, it just creeps them out more, they look more decrepit.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Bradgoodspeed has a great tutorial on making a corpsed skull using Apoxie Sclupt. You just can't go wrong with that one!

·