Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think my display just gets "old" by Halloween so this year I've decided to decorate in two parts.

Normally, I just start putting out stuff a bit at a time, adding on each week, until there's stuff basically...everywhere.

This year, I want to have two distinct decorating themes. The first will be JUST autumnal. Autumn flowers, pumpkins/gourds, hay bales, scare crows.

The second part won't go up until two weeks or so before Halloween (I will be sitting on my hands to not put this up beforehand, believe you me) and it will be my cemetery setup, which I want to REALLY do up.

Just thinking out loud. And online! :D

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
I am telling myself that I am going to hold out until the weekend before Halloween. Basically set up the graveyard and the lights on the 23rd so they are out for the preceding week before Halloween. Then set up the props on the 30th, that way they will be fresh for the TOTs on Halloween night(plus they won't get wet). :)

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
CaliforniaMelanie that sounds like a great idea. This way you give the neighborhood a nice surprise as it gets closer to Halloween. I wonder if I could hold out that long. Boy you really do have control :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've found that putting a bit out at a time makes the neighbors sort of salivate in anticipation of what the next new thing will be. I can't even count how many people stop by while we're outside in the driveway working on stuff to tell us how they and their kids always have to drive by every night to see if anything new has been put out.

Last year we put up the fence and columns about a month in advance. About a week later when the mausoleum was done that went out and stayed, and some cheaper tombstones and Ichabod, our "Pumpkin Patch King" went out pretty early, and Alice, or FCG was going every night for at least a month. Also beef netting spider webs on the porch and our spinning spider victim.

Then come the day of (maybe the day before this year), the Nosferatu goes into the Mausoleum, Witchy-poo our cauldron witch and her table of goodies comes out, all the ground-breakers get added, our toe-pincher with corpse inside and the hearse gets parked in teh driveway with her driver ready to haul someone away!

Halloween night also brings all the sound effects and fog!

I know everyone has their own style, but waiting too long just doesn't work for us. We need to set stuff up so we have the space cleared to finish all the new props before the big night!:D

-EEric

·
Registered
776 Posts
I miss the days of being able to put out a cute display and then changing it all on Halloween. But alas the display has become to large

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I usually don't get set up until the week before....so this year I plan on lighting up the house at the beginning of the month with orange and purple lights so that it will attract attention to the cul-de-sac and get people thinking about coming back to ToT...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We start early in the backyard woods right after labor day I start putting stuff out. It hides well but you can see a sneak preview through our sideyard from the street. It gets the buzz going early for good advertising.We have the side and back done by the end of sept. and the front done the first week in Oct.This way we have plenty of time tweaking stuff and doing dry-runs and making changes. We also had 2 early partys last year so we have to be up and running at full capacity by mid month.The real bummer this year is we have 2 major roads closed till Dec. and the detours are bad so we may have a hard time drawing new vistors from outlining areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts