Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I gotta stop buying those five-dollar DVDs in the big bin at Wal Mart. Sure, cheap movies rock, but sometimes they aren't worth it. First I buy that great old 80's flick "The Warrirors" about the New York gang that has to fight it's way back to Coney Island. But when I put it on the TV it's only to find that what I've bought is some POS director's cut that tries to make it look like a comic book or something. I hate it when director's screw around with the films on DVD. But the copy of "THE DECENT" in my opinion, is worse. Oh, by the way, my next comment is a total spoiler, so be warned. In the end of that intense spelunking-gone-wrong horror film, the final girl wakes up to find the second entrance to the cave and manages to escape. You can tell from her reaction that the experience has left her so totally screwed up that she's going to be on a therapist's couch for the rest of her life. But at least she's not underground with the equivalent of a bunch of Morlocks trying to munch on her. So what happens? The director, Neil Marshall, decided he didn't like that ending and adds a new one to the DVD. In this one, the escape ends up being a delusion, and the final girl is still in the cave at a point before she got her final revenge and escape. And you're left with the inescapable conclusion that she's crazty, there is no happy ending and everybody is Morlock chow. My question is why? I'm not against alternate endings, mind you. Some of them -- like "Rocky Balboa" where old Rocky wins or "I am Legend" where the horrible zombie leader winds up being an average -- albeit somewhat gross -- guy trying to save his girlfriend from the horrible scientist who doesn't blow them all up with a hand grenade. But in both those cases, the alternate endings are in the special features section where they belong. They haven't sudden become part of the movie because some minor-league director wanted to prove to the studios that he was right all along by screwing up my DVD!

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Next time, go to Big Lots and you will wind up paying $3 instead:D One film that I bought from BL that turned out to be phenomenal was Franklyn, a very dark noir/fantasy film, which I would highly recommend if you can find it. Of course, there are some stinkers among the DVDs; Wrestlemaniac, not surprisingly, turned out to be laughably bad:rolleyes:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
I kept seeing the title of your thread & trying to figure out what you were talking about, what was decent & why were you angry about it being decent, & then I came in here & realized you were talking about "The Descent." One you mentioned the spelunking bit I realized it was a typo! I don't usually complain about spelling but in this case that missing "S" makes a big difference!:D:D

And I don't think you can change your title either. Not sure why I know several forums that will let you change your title & as many features as this place has I don't think that's one of them.

Also you get what you pay for, sometimes those cheapies aren't worth it. But at least now you know what the differences are & you can buy a different version even if it does cost more.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I kept seeing the title of your thread & trying to figure out what you were talking about, what was decent & why were you angry about it being decent, & then I came in here & realized you were talking about "The Descent." One you mentioned the spelunking bit I realized it was a typo! I don't usually complain about spelling but in this case that missing "S" makes a big difference!:D:D
The thread title works perfectly, in my opinion, stating that it was just decent:p As for the movie title itself, yes, it might matter just a smidge;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts