Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every year there is some kind of snag that doesn't let me decorate the way I want. Last year we had lost my mother-in-law, my father-in-law had a serious stroke and I was dealing with some mild health issues. This year we've lost my father-in-law, I went back to college and I managed to hurt my back. In fact I sit here dealing with insomnia because my sciatic nerve is flaring up.

I'm not worried about the TOTs or my neighbors but I'm worried about disappointing myself. I always have such grand plans and now I'm trying to resist the urge to go out to the garage at 2am to work on something. Maybe it would be more productive to just start my 2018 plans now.

How do you guys deal with disappointment for both yourself and others?

·
Registered
360 Posts
One simple question to ask yourself: Why do you set up for Halloween? If the answer is because you enjoy it then it does not really matter how much or how little you do. Every year I make plans and every year there are more plans than get completed but I promise myself that I will never be one of those folks that are completely stressed feeling like I must get something done before the holiday. The reason is because every year there is someone else on the forum saying how they are giving it up because it is too much work or too much stress.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Don't set the bar too high, and don't be disappointed with the results. We go for quality over quantity. Less is more. Stuff like lighting and sound can be done cheaply and easily if you already have the equipment. But, first and foremost, have fun!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm having an "off year" too. My annual house-fully-decorated Halloween night dinner and sweet buffet "soirée" is just not happening this year, and outside will be about a quarter of what I normally do, pretty much just lights and pumpkins which I pullled together literally at 9:30 last night. So I understand the feeling. But I don't let it get me down-- there is always next year. Try not to put so much pressure on yourself. Remember the holiday is about fun! Do what you can and don't stress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Life happens, it's ok. Enjoy what you have accomplished which is more than 90% of everyone else coming to trick or treat. I know how you feel. I never get done half of what I want. Enjoy the spooky season tonight and have fun!

·
Registered
45 Posts
OH boy I feel the same. Been decorating for 6 weeks. Here it is the big day and it is SNOWING and the weather is terrible!! Gotta love Michigan, NOT! On top of that I am in a new home on a dead end street with no street lights and only a dozen houses. I moved this year into a new home, old house was in a big sub and we had a lot of TOT's. I had to move all my big props into the garage where I will be sitting with my garage heater on, kinda pathetic I know. I did buy full size candy bars in the hopes to reward any kids who venture my way.
Seriously bummed...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Im in the same boat as you. There were tons of projects I wanted to do this year but time and energy got away from me. My witch stirring a cauldron was supposed to make its debut, I even bought all of her parts but never got her together. I wanted this to be my big insane year but its not happening. Im happy with what I have out and theres always next year. Just enjoy what you have done so far and others will too.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Well this year is disappointing for me. I had a stroke in August of this year.....YAY!!!!! Exactly what I need right before my favorite holiday. :mad: But I am better now. I can walk, talk, and eat so I should be grateful, which I am. Next year will be awesome, because I am pulling out all the stops. My near death experience makes me want to go all out. Just enjoy the holiday. Not every Halloween is going to be spectacular for one reason or another.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
This year I have one prop (a mantis that was going to be taller than my fence) which is half completed and not painted and over the weekend when other stuff got worked on but not him, knew that it was unlikely he was going to make it into this year's setting. Gosh this guy has been on my must-do list for months, since I decided on my theme. I have a small 3-foot mantis prop that was kind of my back up mantis (I know, not the same) that I'll be using instead and in a different location. The kids won't know the big guy was suppose to be there, he wasn't critical but sure would have been cool so yeah it's just me (and all of you!) who know what should have been. I am disappointed he's not done. Have some decent money sitting in his parts so he will get completed and used in the future--already thinking he might be set up in the weeks before halloween next year as a teaser. I guess it's OK to beat yourself up feeling bad if it gets you to change how you prioritize, do time management and stuff like that for future projects but since it's too late for this year, kind of what's the point on dwelling on it. Set up what you can. Setting up for Trick or Treaters should be enjoyable for them and you so just accept you did what you could and enjoy the evening and all of the kids who come to your door.

The saying goes "There's always next year" which sometimes is of little comfort but I know many of us also say "I'm going to start earlier next year" too. LOL. Have a Happy Halloween everyone!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
this has been my story for the past four years...we retired our maze which had gotten huge and very intensively decorated, due to kids aging out and me getting older and dealing with a chronic health issue...every years been even harder cause I cant predict pain issues or some family situation now we are older, I'm 59... if you are decorating your garage, i'd start setting that up in the summer and get way ahead of yourself....make your props in the spring when its pleasant outside and the bugs and heat don't get you like summer. I took my energy from the outside and turned it to the inside and heavily decorate the inside of my house and make myself now oddities for me and just do our front porch, we don't even get toters anymore..... take care of yourself, the stress will catch up...the hardest thing for me was stopping my maze, I still have everything stored in case I want to do a special party, but I am doing things that now are more for just me to enjoy for three months, I set up in august in the house.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It seems like every year there is some kind of snag that doesn't let me decorate the way I want. Last year we had lost my mother-in-law, my father-in-law had a serious stroke and I was dealing with some mild health issues. This year we've lost my father-in-law, I went back to college and I managed to hurt my back. In fact I sit here dealing with insomnia because my sciatic nerve is flaring up.

I'm not worried about the TOTs or my neighbors but I'm worried about disappointing myself. I always have such grand plans and now I'm trying to resist the urge to go out to the garage at 2am to work on something. Maybe it would be more productive to just start my 2018 plans now.

How do you guys deal with disappointment for both yourself and others?
I'm sorry to hear of your family's losses; my Mom passed away last July, and she wanted to be buried beside my Dad, who is interred at a Veteran's cemetery 500 miles away. because of many scheduling problems, we didn't hold the burial services for her cremated remains until October 15 of last year. Almost 3 months of being in limbo about settling my Mom's earthly remains to rest. Through it all, I was sure that I was able to handle the loss with minimal disruption to my life.
How wrong I was!!
I found that I couldn't listen to any music that I normally like, planning meals irritated me in ways I couldn't express properly, nothing held any kind of joy that usually fed my spirit by doing it. It wasn't until this past July, after the first anniversary of her passing, that I felt a weight lift off my very soul; no more "firsts" without her--first birthday, first Christmas, first (fill in blank here with family event) without her. I had been grieving, although I thought I was "okay". And with all things, this too has passed, and I'm enjoying this season with no disappointments or irritations that were forefront in my life last year; the first Haloween without Mom being with us to see the kids dressed up, and laughing at my antics to scare the ToT'rs.
I do think this will be the last season you might suffer this grief, and so, set your planning toward 2018, and literally count up the blessings you currently have around you. It will get better, I do believe it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oh the best laid plans of mice and men. I don't think I have ever had all my plans come to fruition at any time in my life, but it still doesn't stop me from making plans anyways. I just had to learn to roll with life's punches. So now I prioritize the things I want to do by order of importance and set more manageable goals. So long as I am able to add at least one new prop or item to my haunt each year, I'm a happy camper.
My yard started off 3 yrs. ago with just a very large spider I made out of paper mache and clothes hanger wire and some cobwebs. The next year I added tombstones and a reaper. This year I added my 3 witches around their large cauldron and a packing tape ghost. (boy I'm so glad I started early on the witches and cauldron) My goal initially was to add at least one witch stirring the cauldron. So the other 2 witches and ghost was an extra bonus. We suffered a loss in my family as well this year and I had to drive over a 1000 miles to attend the memorial. I have a 95 yr. old grandmother that I help a lot, with running errands, cleaning her house, working on the house and so on and so on, so right there limits my time on top of of everything else that is time limiting. I just do what I can, when I can. A little work here and a little work there and before I know it a project is complete and I've achieved my goal. Then I will start on the next thing in the line of importance and if I get it done in time, then YAY, if not, it makes the top of the list for next year.
I am definitely someone who has grandiose visions of how I want everything to look, what all I want to have in my yard and where everything will go. But also know that real life doesn't always work that way and I just have to accept that.

So sorry for your family's losses over the past year or so. I'm also sorry to hear that you have had some health issues yourself. Take care of yourself first and foremost and allow yourself some time to heal both physically and emotionally. Don't beat yourself up over the shoulda, coulda and woulda as that is not helpful in the healing process.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I had medical issues or pain that made it too difficult to do a haunt one year, I would just carve a JoL or 2 and pass out candy to the ToTers.

Then I'd use the time to take a mental inventory of my props and plan my haunt for the next year.
Sometimes a big comeback feels a lot better than a mediocre accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
So sorry for your losses. :( I haven't had any thing go according to plan for the last several years. This year I've had a bad bout of gastritis and my back issues, and then there's exhaustion from work. I'm still dealing with my grandmother's death, have one friend near death from cancer, my best friend just found out she has two brain aneurysms on top of an incurable genetic disorder and just a few weeks ago we learned that the lady who we refer to as our adoptive mother is in the advanced stages of cancer also. I've been working on finding homes for the latter's two house dogs, fulfilling some obligations and decorating around the house for my daughter.

The only props I've finished this year were all a part of a display, exchange or contest with a deadline, though with the reaper exchange I went a bit beyond the deadline with the final project. I also planned to have my etsy shop set up for this season which obviously hasn't happened either, but I now have several months to get it ready for the 2018 season.

I wish I could tell you how to deal with disappointment, but I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I'm not one to feel sorry for myself, but the one thing that always help me cope with situations is the realization that there's people out there dealing with much worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts