Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share with the crowd. Ive been buildig him from scratch for a while now. I sculpted the skull in clay, cast in latex, filled with foam. The body is pool noodle strips for ribs, expanding foam torso over pvc pipe. Test fitting a dollar store hat...grunging it out too. Adding a dollar store pistol that has been weathered with a dremmel tool and painted.... Building the peg leg from trash basically. Hope you like my Captain..hi first mate is kinda cool too, Thanks for looking.
pirate 1.jpg
DSCF7883.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fantastic as usual Chop. Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! Very, very cool!

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
I use the "like" button when I don't want to be redundant to all of the other posts. Or if someone makes a comment that I really like. Yeah, kind of like FB:D BTW, those props look awesome!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thank you. I got my guns today. Couldn't find any hats but these will work a treat. It looks like you removed the orange cap on the barrel. Did you just pull it off? ?Don't want to break anything. One more thing. What type of paint did you use?

Nothing to marvel at but I started mine today. Need to get a dark grey and better brush. Will continue tomorrow.

Edit------just yanked the orange cap off.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great, great, great, great, great! Excellent use of the cheap toy guns, I had not considered that.

Another reason I wish I joined years ago.

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, ha..I just pried the cap off, then drilled out the flat front under the cap so it was like an actual hollow barrel. I took the screws out and seperated the halves, then used a little die grinder to smooth the inside front of the barrel out, and added grooves to the areas that were to be wood. Just so it looked really old and beat up. I used cheap craft paint (acrylic) , after some sanding. Craftsmart (Michaels) was the brand...metallics on the barrel. A light coat of Matte Clear (Krylon) at the end. I painted it all dissambled, and when I put it back together, I just used some old chunky screws to beef up the look. (I usually paint things all black first, then drybrush the colors over lightly letting that black show in any low spots).

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Hey Chop, how the heck are ya? I was actually just thinking about you other day. I didn't think I had seen you on for a while and was wondering what you had been up too. I assumed you had some new sculpts in the works and boy was I right. He (like all of your other sculpts) looks just fabulous! Excellent work. Top notch as always. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yeah, ha..I just pried the cap off, then drilled out the flat front under the cap so it was like an actual hollow barrel. I took the screws out and seperated the halves, then used a little die grinder to smooth the inside front of the barrel out, and added grooves to the areas that were to be wood. Just so it looked really old and beat up. I used cheap craft paint (acrylic) , after some sanding. Craftsmart (Michaels) was the brand...metallics on the barrel. A light coat of Matte Clear (Krylon) at the end. I painted it all dissambled, and when I put it back together, I just used some old chunky screws to beef up the look. (I usually paint things all black first, then drybrush the colors over lightly letting that black show in any low spots).

Well thank you for your insight and passing along some great tips. I had the wife rush out and buy me two after I viewed your great piece. Of course I don't think mine will be anywhere near as nice as yours. I'm just grateful, as I needed some guns and this was just perfect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts