Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ten-year-old daughter is after me to purchase a DVD set of Season One of a TV series called "Dead Like Me". Apparently it's about a teenage girl who is killed but, instead of going to Heaven, she is assigned to be a Grim Reaper, claiming souls an instant before their bodies die. Or something like that.

Anybody familiar with this? It sounds like something a Hallowe'en Fan would be into.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was an interesting show, but not really horror or anything Halloweenish.
They did two seasons and then a movie.
My wife was more into it than I was.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I enjoyed this show when it was on, but Mandy Patinkin was in it and I like anything he is in.... :)
Its not scary or anything like that, really its more about the trials and tribulations of being a young woman only she's a reaper, if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I enjoyed the series! Sometimes you can watch reruns on Scifi...or now SyFy.
The show was different! If you like Pushing Daisies for its quirkiness then you'll probably like this show. I believe they have 2 dvd versions a pg13 and R version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently discovered this show and loved it. I purchased the entire series (sadly only 2 seasons and a movie) for $20 at Best Buy about 2 months ago.

I agree...anything with Mandy Patinkin is worth the money. :)

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
very addicting show, theres 2 seasons worth of shows :3 I loved the humor in it and some parts were kinda squeemish. One episode had me in tears, because shes a reaper she cant have a choice in reaping souls, no matter who the person is, she has to do it and this conflicts with her alot. Lots of good actors in it from our favorite tv shows and some were in awesome movies. Look on the wiki for the actors, :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is a great series and the last episode actually revolved around Halloween. It was a very good show, but also an Adult show. The language can get pretty rough and there is one character in the show who was famous (in her former life as a bit part actress) for her sexually explicit activites (think Monica Lewinsky) and (not too subtle) references to that are made often. Not really for a ten year old.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I enjoyed the series when it was on. I think it was originally a Showtime series -- which is why you can now get two versions on DVD. The original Showtime episodes with all the scenes and language, and the edited version they show on SyFy.

I agree with others on this thread that it's not a "Halloween" type show. It's dark comedy that deals with death and what we leave behind. All that unfinished business and such.

I don't know if I would let a 10 year old watch it, but I would let my 12 year old sit in on an episode or two. I think she would enjoy the humor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dead Like Me was an awesome show, but I echo what everyone else said. The humor is pretty dark and George, the lead character, definitely has a mouth on her. It aired on Showtime originally so they got away with more. The creater, Bryan Fuller, was the one behind Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies. None of these are completely Halloween related, but they're all whimsical and magical and lovely. I'm a big fan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's on hulu if you want to just watch it for free or at least check it out first -
Hulu - Search

I liked it quite a bit, not sure if it would hold a kid's interest. It's one that has a "mature audiences" screen at the beginning, so you have to create a login to view it on hulu and say you're an adult - I don't remember a lot of sex but there's definitely language, if that's an issue for you. It's kind of clever though. Sort of in a dry, sarcastic way.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Resurrecting an old thread here. Well, we have both seasons on DVD now and the girls (my wife, 2 dauughters) had a "Dead Like ME" Marathon this past weekend. Gratuitous profanity aside, it is an extremely well done series. The musical score (by former Police-man Stewart Copeland, the American Drummer) despite being heavy on strings, is perfect. I love the different ways in which the "reaped Souls", the newly deceased, accept their fate. Very poignant, without being saccharine. Definitely "Chick-oriented", nothing wrong with that, overall, a great series.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I LOVE love love this show. I got hooked instantly and had to seriously watch them all. Its such a heartwrenching show, its funny, its light, its dark, its honest. Its really hard to finish the last episode and feel like its done.

The movie did no justice to the series, they waited too long and replaced an actress....it gets worse from there. Although, if you ignore some of what was done in the movie, you can leave it with a little more closure on the overall storyline. I actually really dont mind the swearing because its everywhere including the swearing that comes out of my mouth LOL

But, the series was cut short for NO reason and a huge fan movement got the movie to happen.

I also like another show by Brian Fuller called "Wonderfalls.." check it out...you will like that as well!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts