Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I have this idea of making an aquarium with dead fish in it, not rotted ones, but just the bones. I will suspend them with wire neatly hidden of course and light the bottom with a black light. any ideas of what to make the fish out of? Dont really want to have to eat small fish to do it, or hunt down by the lake,, but if I have too!! Anyhow, will gladly listen to any ideas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You could probably make a small mold for the skeleton and form them out of Sculpey. This sounds like a fantastic idea, I would love to see pictures when you've finished!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Twisted ambience used to sell a screensaver that would be cool to use on something like an ipad framed in a tank.....A quick search on youtube found the video unfortunately the site is currently down so not sure how you could obtain a copy if you were interested....Here's the clip anyway....ZR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6mAdZFn_M

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG, those are fabulous, the price is a little steep for duty and shipping but I think I will get them anyhow, THANK YOU! They are perfect!! I wish things weren't so pricey to ship to Canada, there is not much out this way. :(

·
Registered
503 Posts
Twisted ambience used to sell a screensaver that would be cool to use on something like an ipad framed in a tank.....A quick search on youtube found the video unfortunately the site is currently down so not sure how you could obtain a copy if you were interested....Here's the clip anyway....ZR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6mAdZFn_M
I have this DVD - picked it up at a local costume shop. I played it on a small led TV that I had placed on top of an artificial fireplace in my funeral home scene.
It's almost hypnotizing to watch the different bone species of fish swimming back and forth. The simple black frame of the TV gave it a tank-like appearance.

m_dead_Sea_aquarium_dvd_lg.jpg

By the way, my haunt has a pet goldfish! Meet "Chomper".

PetGoldfish..jpg

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
One possibility:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/58549703/1960s-weird-rubber-dead-fish-skeleton

You might be able to find other novelty fish skeketons out there also.
CDW thanks for the link to these. I wouldn't have seen them otherwise. I ended up buying a few to use with my haunt settings, like pirates, alleyway with my feral cat prop, etc. BTW if anyone else is interested in these, they are 6-1/2 inches long and the head is just over 1 inch high at the widest part (bottom to top of head). The head is hollow and I suppose you could easily put them on a hook and fishline. The paint job on the eyes is a little sloppy on some but overall I have to say it's a cool little prop. Very hard to find bone fish that aren't fragile and that still have some movement to them (the rubber if flexible). I trimmed off a little bit of the excess rubber around the mouth but no biggie. The top of the head also has a little eyelet if you want to string it up I guess. If not, it would be pretty easy to trim that off as well.

Doomngloomgirl, if you wanted to pose them, I think you could probably attach a bendable strip of metal (wire for example) to the backside of a fish and curve it to make the fish look like it was moving it's tail thru the water. The fish are 3D and painted on both sides. They are kind of small but if you wanted to put in an aquarium scene their size would probably work well for that.

PoCoHauntGal, love your fish bowl! The severed fingers at the bottom were a great idea for fish food.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
BTW I picked up the Dead Sea Aquarium DVD finally thanks to you guys. Had it on my list to buy ever since it came out years ago which is quite a while ago actually. Believe there were a few different videos on the DVD??? This thread gave me the push to look for it again now that we started to using projections in our haunt a few years ago. Wanted to mention I found a new copy for 14.99 over at Amazon. They have a few used ones listed for the same price, best price I've seen. Appears shipping to Canada is only a $1 more than to the U.S. so that might help you out Doomngloomgal if you are looking for it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It might be worth the time to spend a few minutes browsing "Toys'R'Us", or at least asking someone there, kids toys cover a bizarre number of subjects. Another idea, off the wall for sure, is to see if there's a way to suspend them in gelatin of some sort. I have no info here, just a thought, but there's options that include backlighting and flavour of gelatin that affects colour....

·
Registered
503 Posts
CDW thanks for the link to these. I wouldn't have seen them otherwise. I ended up buying a few to use with my haunt settings, like pirates, alleyway with my feral cat prop, etc. BTW if anyone else is interested in these, they are 6-1/2 inches long and the head is just over 1 inch high at the widest part (bottom to top of head). The head is hollow and I suppose you could easily put them on a hook and fishline. The paint job on the eyes is a little sloppy on some but overall I have to say it's a cool little prop. Very hard to find bone fish that aren't fragile and that still have some movement to them (the rubber if flexible). I trimmed off a little bit of the excess rubber around the mouth but no biggie. The top of the head also has a little eyelet if you want to string it up I guess. If not, it would be pretty easy to trim that off as well.

Sometimes you can find rubber ones in pet shops - toys for cats. Or ice cube trays with fish bone shapes that could act as a mold.

Silicone-Fish-Bone-Shaped-font-b-Ice-b-font-font-b-Cube-b-font-Trays-Mold.jpg

It's either that or buy up some bait and strip them to the bones - or you could suddenly gain a desire to eat sardines!

sardineTin.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just a thought...how about white pipe cleaners bent into the right shapes....then coated with hot glue...mold the glue tight around the pipe cleaners while still a little hot (I made teeth this way, dip your fingers in a dish of cold water as you go) ....then paint white when done. You may be able to make them 3-D in shape rather than just flat.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
Received the Dea Sea Aquarium DVD the other day. Popped it in and there's 5 scenes to chose from: aquarium, water with large boat chain (presume this is from boat anchor?), area with tin can and wine bottles on bottom, area with large stone monument head laying on ocean floor as in ancient ruins, and a deep sea scene with fish swimming between large boulders. The company that published the DVD still has a web presence but the site is pretty much dark these days. There maybe clips from the various scene available to view on you tube.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A few years back I bought a cheap fake fish tank with suspended floating fish. The fish were about 2" long plastic and weighted to float suspended (they floated in the middle of the water , very realistic for a toy) I simply painted them black and then painted the white skeleton on both sides. Then I added some spooky items in the bottom and painted black seaweed on the outside. When it was light up it t looked awesome and real. I can't remember where I bought the original tank / toy but maybe it was at Spencer's or Toy R Us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
Csnyde
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing