Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year has been one of simplifying and "de-cluttering", not only at home in general, but also our Halloween stuff. Over the past 20 years, we've amassed quite a collection of stuff, and while packing it up last year, we made a decision to condense and thin out our "stuff." Thus far we've sold 5 masks, 5 tombstones, a few strobe lights, several latex props, 6 costumes, a couple of large props, and several miscellaneous small things. Some of it went to other local haunters and some to other folks on this and another forum. In looking at what's left, we still have a good deal of stuff, and I'm thinking with the exception of a couple new things, we won't be buying much else. We've gained some much needed storage, weeded out things that we're not using any more, and hopefully helped some other haunters out with some good buys.
Looking ahead a few years, I can see some downsizing of our haunt and the idea of "less is better" is more and more appealing.
Do any of you think you have too much stuff? Do you really use every thing you own or are there things just taking up space that you don't want to part with? Some of the things we got rid of were items we used for years and never thought we'd part with, but it truly feels good to have de-cluttered a bit. I remember looking forward to buying a bunch of stuff each year, but this year we'll be focusing on improving our existing display, and making better use of the things we have already.
So what about you other pack rats?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I have zero storage space. Very little is unused in terms of Halloween stuff. I think I have way more stuff that will eventually become props then actual props. I packrat anything that might look like it could end up being useful. I really need to weed through that stuff as opposed to actual Halloween stuff. That is great that you were able to find good homes for your extra Halloween items.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have zero storage space. Very little is unused in terms of Halloween stuff. I think I have way more stuff that will eventually become props then actual props. I packrat anything that might look like it could end up being useful.
I used to do this as well, but figure if I don't use it or make something with it in a year or so, it probably isn't going to happen. About the only thing I have laying around extra is several varying lengths of pvc pipe, most of which will never be put to Halloween use.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
UUmmmmm do I have to stand up and say my name.. LOL

and I'm getting another unit so the garage can be used again. LOL

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
TNBrad, that reminds me of the 'Halloween corner' in my basement, with boxes and bins piled nearly to the ceiling:D

I think I just might end up going through my things within the next year and getting rid of some items. I definitely need to do something before there's no more room to move down there:p

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts

It may LOOK like xmas stuff, but it's all Halloween stuff.... We filled backpacks and even suitcases with halloween stuff... Oh and the door barely closes with all of it in there. =) Did I mention we have our patio storage filled with stuff too? and my gf's spare bedroom is also half filled.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
We used nearly all of our stuff last year, though we didn't have a halloween party, so we didn't use a lot of the indoor, party type stuff. We'll be keeping what we have, and probably adding some. At least until we buy a house and see how much storage versus set-up space we have in the new place. Currently, we have limited storage, but lots of set-up space. That lends itself to PACKED STORAGE. Our basement is kept in a continual barely-able-to-walk-through-it condition--we also do Christmas pretty big, so there are a LOT of decorations down there.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts

It may LOOK like xmas stuff, but it's all Halloween stuff.... We filled backpacks and even suitcases with halloween stuff... Oh and the door barely closes with all of it in there. =) Did I mention we have our patio storage filled with stuff too? and my gf's spare bedroom is also half filled.....
Ha ha. That's a scary prop right there. I would be terrified to stand next to it for fear it's gonna collapse on me :p

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I'm hoping the older kids will move out and stay out, then I can convert one of the bedrooms to my Halloween room so that I can hang costumes in the closet and get stuff out of boxes so that can actually see what I have to work with.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just paid to move a bunch of crap I already own from one state to another. Looking through it makes me realize how much unneeded stuff I have in general, not just Halloween themed. Halloween shopping is the only time I really let myself go and impulse buy a little as well as get things that are more fun than functional. I'm reflecting on this and trying to formulate a plan for shopping this year. Where to limit myself (no more kitchen goods for one) and where I can still have some fun. Not an easy task, but it needs to be done. Good thing I have a few more months before the merch hits the shelves!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Why, yes, yes I do, as a matter of fact!
Halloween is the only time when I think I'm certified bipolar. On one hand I'm complaining about all the stuff, the lack of space, the lack of organization, and declare that we are going to thin out and get rid of the clutter.
The next day, or even worse, when the after-Halloween sales begin, I'm out buying more!

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
That is why my halloween room is almost built.I have had hubby working on it as much as posiable I don't have a closet with any space left.So until the building is done I am using a corner of my workout room to store stuff.I gave alot of stuff away last year to a coworker they used every bit of it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm building a 12X12 Barn style shed this weekend JUST for halloween stuff. I may have a little room left over so if ya'll want me to store anything for you I would be happy to....hehe

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have given some props actually a LOT of props away to local haunters. I have gotten bored of some items and demolished them, sold them or given them away.
I can always build something new and better. Each year the skill set increases!!
I am like many of you with stuff piled floor to ceiling, the garage rafters full, and no where to go with anything new.

I have a new house with new issue. NO cool factor so I need to start fresh, which means new props I don't have room for. New lay-out still to be decided. A new following of people asking whats gonna be new for this year :(

no room for props, but yet I must build to remain sane!!!!
-PB

A prop a day keeps the grim reaper away!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do use just about everything I have for Halloween. We are limited in storage space by not having a garage or any kind of shed, but I find various corners in the basement to put my props where they are not in the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have way too much stuff, but I am lucky and have all the space I need in an abandoned house on the property where I work.

I do the Halloween party/decorating each year and I can use the house for storage. Pretty sweet deal for all concerned.

I really should declutter though, some things I haven't used in a few years as I make new props constantly and then that goes out instead of the old stuff.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts