Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised in my posts how many home haunters like me put out thier displays on the day of Halloween. I thought I was alone we have a town wide decorating competition and MY stuff may be the best in town but I never enter because it has to be up weeks before Halloween. I was shocked that there are alot of us that may do some lite decorating but only set up the top shelf displays the day of. do you set up for the season or the day of?

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
the whole season. I just dont see the sense in taking the time and effort to put things up to only be able to enjoy them for afew hours.

F

·
0 Posts
Right now I have most everything up, but with reservations. I know my stuff could get stolen and it bugs me alot.

Many people have to deal with stolen or damaged props, and I do not blame them for the 1 day set up and take down.

Some people like the magic of their stuff being there one day, and boom total awesome for one day only.

Some people do long term set ups, but that takes so much patience and the weather must cooperate. I have already taken my stuff down 2 times and set back up 2 times- once fully down, once just a few large props down- due to wind and rain.

Haunting is fun, but to me- weather is King. We are at the mercy of wind rain and snow. And if there are jerks in your hood who keep stealing stuff- like poor Chaserbug- then your Halloween becomes really scary!

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
Haunting is fun, but to me- weather is King. We are at the mercy of wind rain and snow. And if there are jerks in your hood who keep stealing stuff- like poor Chaserbug- then your Halloween becomes really scary!
So true...I'm a one-two day gal. I used to try to put everything but the animatronics out early. But it would just break my heart to see any of my stuff 'walk'. AND the wind/rain. Seems we're always battling it here in NJ. Drives me nuts that I feel like a yoyo bringing it out to pull it back in again...grrrr

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i put it all out for a day or two. theres usually some haunted eye candy on the yard but not the good stuff. for me its a combo of having things stollen and usually not finishing my props till the 13th hour.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
the whole season. I just dont see the sense in taking the time and effort to put things up to only be able to enjoy them for afew hours.
+1

We worked our butts off for this Halloween. Only getting to see it one or even two days wouldn't make the time, effort, or money worth it. Halloween is also about the entire fall/harvest season to us so it is important to enjoy it as long as possible. We also jumped into this years efforts fully realizing that we are at risk of vandalism, in fact almost expected it due to getting a large amount of pumpkins stolen last year. We aren't into animatronics or any store bought stuff so seeing anything like that get stolen isn't a problem, but weather beating on all of our paper mache made us worry a bit. Thankfully all of our preparations paid off during one rain storm.

Also, this year we are really trying to up our TOT count. We don't live in a city limits subdivision, but rather a neighborhood in the outlying area of town so setting up early (we started setting up Oct 10th and just finish last weekend) was sort of an advertisement to the traffic going up and down our street.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
If I was so worried about stuff getting stolen that I would only setup on Halloween, I'd probably quit decorating altogether. Besides, I couldn't come close to setting up on one day.

I start putting stuff up early in the month and continuously add to it. I was talking with a couple that were doing a drive by the other night and they said they keep coming back because it's always changing.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I put out stuff I can easily replace or didn't cost me anything about 2 weeks out. The expensive stuff or things I couldn't bear to lose go out the day of and come in that night.

I compare out setup with the way circuses used to do their setup/take down - always they did the setup/take downs at night so that it was more magical that way. Our really cool stuff and lights/fog only happen the night of Halloween and everything is completely gone the next morning. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
I put out more permanent things about 3 weeks before the date.... murals, freaky fabric hanging from the roof, some lights, etc.

About 2 weeks before the date, I bring out mostly hanging deocartions and props that remain high up on walls, pillars, roof, etc.

The morning of Halloween I set up the entire graveyard and bring out the life sized dummies, pumpkins, and more exensive props.

Most of it gets moved inside the garage the night of Halloween.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Day of. I have lights and decorations out now but they are just Halloween lights, my ghost blow up and flags, ect. All that comes in on Mischief Night and then Halloween morning I set up everything including my cemetery and ghosts. Takes me a few hours to get it all up.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I compare out setup with the way circuses used to do their setup/take down - always they did the setup/take downs at night so that it was more magical that way. Our really cool stuff and lights/fog only happen the night of Halloween and everything is completely gone the next morning. :D
I set up everything for one just day since bad weather, especially storng winds, just kill my props. I usually put out just one of the scarecrows 14 days or less ahead of Halloween, I set up lights and do layout a day or 2 before the big night and then set up the whole thing that day starting at about 10am. Most of it comes in that night, too. I'm on board with what Frankie'sGirl says about being like a circus, but I like to think it's more like being the October people from Something Wicked This Way Comes.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Weather dictates how much I will setup early, although I never put out the animatronics until the day of. And if you're in the path of the east coast storm coming later today, you better have waited or you better get busy pulling in anything you don't want wiped out. Weather- I won't give up my investments foolishly. In my region, this is just the way it is. How to deal with it if you have a large display? You have to be very organized and have a set plan of attack. I'll have to set up 70% of my large display on halloween, but it'll go up fast because of pinpoint planning. It's a long hard day, the worst of which is pulling most of it back in the same night when I'm exhausted. But, this is the cost of extreme display. It's always worth it. And as much as I've wanted it come slowly so I have more time, now I just want the day to come already. It's been long enough- time to rock!

Dan

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
I live in a rapidly changing (and declining) neighborhood. Last year there was a rash of thefts of bluckies, for heaven's sake. Put out my Victorian display casket that can be easily managed by two people early? Not a chance. Besides, it always rains for the week before Halloween here, often accompanied by gale force winds. I swear the Halloween gods do it just to make haunters insane with worry they won't get anything up at all.

I have started putting blow molds out early, although I know it's only a matter of time until they start walking off.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seems like we all get horrible weather and wind. I thought i was cursed. I dont remediable it being that bad as a kid.

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
If I was so worried about stuff getting stolen that I would only setup on Halloween, I'd probably quit decorating altogether. Besides, I couldn't come close to setting up on one day.

I start putting stuff up early in the month and continuously add to it. I was talking with a couple that were doing a drive by the other night and they said they keep coming back because it's always changing.
Agreed I wouldn't do it either.
I put my stuff out 10-1.It comes down 11-1.
I can't imagine having to do it all in one day I would be worn out.
now not all my stuff is out daily some only gets put out on good weather days.Which have been very few this season weather=suck this year.
I am glad I do it this way cause last year guess what it rained so none of non weather proof animatronics or electronics could be set out.
But people got to enjoy them throughout the month so I was ok with it.One of these days I want to have everything weather proof so it can be displayed all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts