Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Absolutely! Dawn of the Dead 78 is probably my all time favorite Horror movie and favorite film of all time. When I first saw it in the 80's, I had never seen anything like it. It was the first zombie film that portrayed it as an apocalypse. The movie pulled you right in and made you feel like you were experiencing what was happening in the film. The isolation and world in chaos was executed beautifully like Romero. Imo, there are not that many films that have this ability to pull you into a film so strongly. Another movie that does this is the original Halloween.

I don't think there was ever another zombie film that captured the zombie apocalypse so successfully.

undead

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
It's fun to see movies in the theatre that you've only seen on TV for years. You see things you've missed & it doesn't matter if you've seen it a thousand times on TV, it's a completely different experience to see that same movie on a big screen. It's a totally different experience no matter what the movie.

I highly recommend it & not just for horror movies.

Turner Classic Movies shows old stuff once a month in the theatres through Fathom Events. They show everything from All About Eve to Smokey & The Bandit to Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

They did The Shining a while ago & that is definitely one that is a completely different experience on a big screen. You really get the impact of Danny riding through the halls on his big wheel & of course the impact of such a large hotel on a large screen is just amazing.

Smokey & the Bandit is showing this weekend & here's the schedule for the rest of the year.
https://www.fathomevents.com/series/tcm-big-screen-classics ?utm_source=tcm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tcm+series&utm_term=tcm&utm_content=may+10

Any chance you can get to see an older movie of any genre on the big screen you should definitely go for it, but go for it especially if you've never seen it on the big screen. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can never find this...only the crappy Ving Rhames re-make. I need to see this because I'm meeting George Romero in a couple months when he comes to Indy 'Days of the Dead' con.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Resident Lunatic
1,769 Posts
Great movie. I first saw this movie at a late showing at a theater in the Machesney Park Mall north of Rockford. It was over after midnight. When we left, the rest of the mall was dark and deserted. It was a creepy experience.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I grew up in Monroeville, PA, where the movie was filmed. My sister did the books for the J.C. Penneys at the Monroeville Mall, and she would close the books out at night, usually between 9:00 and 10:00. Her office was to the left of the elevator that the cast uses to go up and down in the store. She didn't like to drive, and I had gotten my license, and my parents would send me out to pick her up every night. I would hang out at the mall for an hour or so, and I was there when they started filming.

At about 8:00 or so, Sharon Ceccatti, who was the casting guru, would go around the mall and ask people if they wanted to be extras. Sharon also plays the nurse zombie you see throughout the movie. She later married Clay Hill, aka the sweater zombie, who's the zombie you see flailing around the escalators wearing a tan/brown sweater.

I spent a lot of time talking to Sharon because she would see me and ask if I wanted to be a zombie, and me, being a stupid 17-year old kid, would say "No... I have to get the car back home." I can't believe I passed up chance after chance to be in that movie!!!!! I did get to meet Jeannie Jeffries who was Tom Savini's girlfriend, assistant make-up artist, and the blonde zombie that gets her face shot off by Peter while she's attacking Roger. I talk to Jeannie a lot today, and I always had thought that was a mannequin they blew the face off of, but that was her. They actually put squibs on her face and fired them off! I also got to meet Steeler legend Franco Harris when he was there to be a zombie. He appears for a second in the film with a group of other zombies. I always laugh when I see that quick shot of former Steelers receiver Hines Ward as a zombie in The Walking Dead. Most folks don't get the connection between the Steelers and zombies. :)

I love watching the movie nowadays more for the shots of the Monroeville area than the zombie action. The airport in the movie, Monroeville Airport, is where I went to work on getting my pilot's license and I spent a lot of time in that building that Peter goes into. The airport closed several years ago, and TSA now owns the land. There's a golf driving range on the side of it where you can go and look down on where the airport was, but most everything is gone. I was at the Monroeville Mall the day it opened in 1969, and that was the main hangout for every kid in Monroeville and the surrounding area, so I love the bit of time travel the film affords me. The mall is still open, but the JC Penneys is gone, the big animated clock is long gone, and the skating rink is gone. The last recognizable item, aside from the center escalators, was a wooden bridge that was seen in the movie. The mall owners pulled it a couple of years ago and was going to scrap it, but some fans ended up getting it and restoring it for a local museum. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow, incredible story! Like me, it sounds like DOTD changed your life, but in a different way. Imo, it truly is one of greatest films ever made.

undead

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What does make me happy is that Monroeville Mall has finally come to grips with its past. :) For decades, the owners of the mall didn't like fans of the movie coming there and video taping, or doing walking tours, or even taking photos. If a security guard saw you with a camera, they would tell you to leave. They finally started realizing the benefit of embracing the Dawn of the Dead crowd and allowed a guy to open a zombie museum in a store front, which was a really cool place to visit because he had a model of the entire first floor of the mall circa 1978 in the back and I really like going back there and seeing all the places I used to hang out.

There were a couple of times I visited the museum, would be looking at that model, and someone would ask a question about where a scene was filmed, and I could show them where. There was a family from New Jersey I met who came all the way to Monroeville just to visit the mall. I took them on a nice walking tour and showed them where everything had been done, and they took pictures the whole time with nobody hassling them, which was a nice change.

The mall just hosted a Dawn of the Dead reunion a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted to go but couldn't, but Jeannie took lots of pictures for me. And how cool was this... Scott Wilson, who played Herchel Greene on The Walking Dead, went to the event, not as a media guest but as a fan of the movie. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What would have been a better feeling would have been to snag some mementos. :) I would be standing there talking to Jeannie and we would be right next to trash cans full of bloody rage, clothes, body appliances, and other items that were garbage at the time and would be the centerpiece of a lot of collections these days.

Jeannie sells little vials of the prop blood they used. She has one bottle of it left, and I always think of how much of that just got dumped back then. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts