Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone -

Here's my take on building a full-size Darth Vader Mannequin for Halloween, and was made mostly out of PVC, Cardboard, and Duct Tape (plus cloth cape and movie helmet). He stands at 6' 7" and even talks (okay - I picked up a toy voice box from the Goodwill). The helmet was a bit pricey, but for about $40 ($20 cape material + tape, PVC, misc. parts) he turned out fairly convincing.

20160605_214633.jpg

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 1:
Made from PVC, Craft Foam, Duct Tape, Fabric and Cardboard – you can have your own budget Darth Vader for under $40 (minus the helmet). David Prowse (Actor who played Darth Vader) was an ominous character standing at 6’7” and a bodybuilder by trade. After sketching some measurements, a PVC skeleton was constructed with those proportions. The arms are left short to provide a postured “fists on hips” stance so that hands wouldn’t have to be constructed.

aba5d7_5097c971343c4a2f9542340205787560.jpg

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Step 13:
The chest pack was a lucky find at the local good will for $2, but this could be found on ebay or made with the same technique as the belt assembly. Vader’s codpiece was fashioned from craft foam and heated to give shape.The half circle rod, was a piece of white plastic tubing (could also use coat hanger tube), split in half and wrapped in duct tape.

20160402_162221.jpg

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Step 14:
The cape completes the look and no commercially available capes are available at this size under $100. Within 4 hours a completed cape was made with 9-yards of cheap black fabric. The fabric is cut into triangles (long edge at 6’10”) and then sewed together to make pie – or pacman shape. Make sure to keep enough material for his cloth that drapes under the belt.

20160402_171614.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice! I love the simply done but elegant light saber :) Really cool details. You took some time with that. Great job! I have a full costume that my husband wore for my son's party but I going to stuff it and put it on a frame for Halloween (so he doesn't have to act all Halloween night! LOL). And I'm going to rig the head so it will move back and forth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts