Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the winds of October laid seige to my haunt. We had 50MPH+ winds, rain and snow over the weekend. I will have a lot of things to put back together and fix. Did anyone else have weather that beat up you haunt this past weekend?

Oh well - if we fix it they (TOTs) will come! :D

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
Yup, thanks to the wind our cemetery fence (mainly the large garden arch that forms the gate) fell onto the hood of our truck. Luckily it only resulted in a few small scratches on the truck. But the gargoyles broke off the posts and we lost a few finials. The rebar holding up our Pumpkinrot completely bent and knocked him over as well as all the corn stalks around him. Thankfully he bent backwards so none of his branches broke. Everything will be getting repaired this week. We already wired the top of the garden arch to the house so that it won't tip again as it's still windy today. We didn't get the snow...just the wind, rain and bit of hail.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, thanks to the wind our cemetery fence (mainly the large garden arch that forms the gate) fell onto the hood of our truck. Luckily it only resulted in a few small scratches on the truck. But the gargoyles broke off the posts and we lost a few finials. The rebar holding up our Pumpkinrot completely bent and knocked him over as well as all the corn stalks around him. Thankfully he bent backwards so none of his branches broke. Everything will be getting repaired this week. We already wired the top of the garden arch to the house so that it won't tip again as it's still windy today. We didn't get the snow...just the wind, rain and bit of hail.
LHALLOW,
OUCH! This weather is the pits. I almost quit doing haunts every year because of it. But after I cool down a bit and get the thank yous from the TOTs I end up putting it up earlier each year. I am a sick individual! LMAO :eek::cool:
I hope your wind dies down. Ours is supposed to soon. We may be at 50 for the TOTs on Halloween. What a treat that would be. :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
we had wind and lots of rain saturday , tomorow we are suppose to have lots of rain again about 20 mm then wenesday wind and about so far predicted 15 cm of snow :( can you imagine the fun ????????????

as much as i love halloween , this year with a week before like this i am just about tired , burned out and not in much of a mood anymore .

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Experienced the same thing you did since I'm in Plymouth. I was lucky. I only have the things outside that are locked to my trees, the spider base on my garage roof, and fishing lines attached to the trees and house. When I went out to get the mail today I saw one of the fishing lines snapped off at the ground but, that will be an easy fix. It kind of surprised me though since it happened last night when it wasn't as bad.
It looks like Halloween and the day before it will be good for us though. Keep your hopes up, it's less then a week away.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
We had similar weather here in NY over the weekend. We were away from friday to saturday, and when we arrived home..total chaos. My entire cemetary was gone, blown right off thier stakes. I kind of expected the styrofoam ones to be down, but I have 3 heavy 15 lb. stones which also where blown down. One of my 40 lb. + gargoyles was also blown right off our brick wall. Thank goodness it didn't break, losing that one would have made me shed a tear or two! It wasn't just the wild wind either....we had torrential downpours as well, so everything is a soaking, muddy mess. More rain expected tonight. I've decided I'm not doing a thing until thursday, it's so depressing when all your hard work is just destroyed.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Hit us too! Basically ran outside and grabbed all my tombstones, halloween wind chimes and laid my large coffin on the side! Still windy today! Thankful my ghosts held up in the trees!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
YUP,wind,rain,sleet and snow.Today was the same.Fixed half of the stuff and the other half on weds i hope.

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
I was envying you all while you were working on props in the nice summer weather.
While we were still sweltering in the heat, but I think I am appreciating the Arizona fall now.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
.........as much as i love halloween , this year with a week before like this i am just about tired , burned out and not in much of a mood anymore .
:(

I here ya. And we haven't even set out half our stuff yet. The few things I do have out have been fixed a few times and even though it's pretty easy it still gets old. At this point I'm questioning if it will be even worth it.

Hope the halloween gods bless me with some spirit! SOON!

·
Registered
91 Posts
This has got to be the worst October weather in some time.

We are going through our 2nd day of 20-30mph winds with gusts to 50 mph out of the last 4 days. I just got finished fixing what got wrecked on Saturday.

My stuff is mostly OK with the rain. Its the wind that kills me. Today we are getting the wind after it downpoured this morning, so the ground is soft and everything is wet and heavier. Not good.

I guess it will be another day or two for more repairs. Hopefully I can get everything back up for the big day as this weather isn't supposed to clear out until sometime Wednesday.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Had the 40mph winds on Saturday, taking out 8 of my tombstones. Literally broke the pvc pipe off the back of the styrofoam used, in conjunction with a piece of rebar, to hold them up. Also took out a lot of my "scattered about" stuff, all of it ending up clustered at the base of the cemetary fence. Most of the ground breakers were laying down, as well. I glued the pvc back to the stones, put them and the ground breakers back, and replaced the "scatter about" on Sunday.

Monday night and Tuesday, the winds (with rain!) were back even stronger. Lost 6 more (different) stones (same issue), and all the wigs on the pirates ended up on the ground or wrapped around the skellies necks. Two of my pirates were hit by flying debris and sustained some small damage. A big branch came down, barely missing the cemetary fence, as well. And the whole yard is COVERED in leaves. After repairing broken stuff in my garage for 2 hours last night, I emerged with the typical gorilla glue black spotted hands, which I'm sporting today.

Winds are down today, and they're forecasting a nice Thursday, so I'm hopeful that I can get it all back together by the big night.

Craig

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well last night, we had snow. It was very cold with crazy winds (ranging from 27 to 37 MPH)... I had to take down two of my skeletons and bring them into the garage, as I was afraid they would break...

This morning, we had approx. 2 inches of snow on the ground (and on the tombstones and other skeletons...). Nothing was damaged though....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts