Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridiculous...

:p

The city that we live in has actually listed our yard haunt as a 'city attraction'. That in and of itself is, in my opinion, quite the accomplishment.

I just had a rather interesting and somewhat disturbing conversation with the neighbor that lives directly to our right. She has never said anything before. We've been here for over 3 years now. But... amid her bid to see if we had time to fix the rotting fence post between our yards, (post on her side, fyi,) she made sure to mention that it was getting close to Halloween and she had some things to say. At this point, I notice something I had never noticed before. After just returning from her mailbox... and just after receiving the usual patronizing wave that lets me know she wants to speak with me...

I spy the outside of the bundle she is carrying in her arms. She is carrying a magazine. That outside of that magazine reads... 'The Evangelist... The Ministries of Jimmy Swaggart'. ...insert dramatic pause here... or ...'Dummmm...dummmm.....dummmm....'

Now, being that I have several Christian neighbors... most of which beg us to do the haunt each year, I initially think little of this. That is, until, she says, 'I think you should know that I am a Christian. Halloween is not a 'Holy-Day'. I view Halloween as a Satanic night and those that are invovled are Satanists.' I'm pretty sure that the woman who just asked me to fix her fence just called us Satanists. I'm fairly certain that we will not be fixing her fence post. As I attempt to tell her that I respect her's, as well as everyone else's religious beliefs, as well as making the futile attempt to school her on the origins of Halloween as well as it's predecessors... (my husband does have a degree in History and Philosophy, after all.) She then remarks, 'I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.'

Honestly, every fiber of my being wants to haunt like I've never haunted before. This being on the year we weren't even certain that we would even be able to afford said haunt, for that matter. Thaunts? (Transcribed = haunty thoughts?) __________________

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow..... what is wrong with people. You have never had any problems before? why couldn't she just keep her opinion to her self and let everyone go about there business

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I just laugh and tell people if they have to bring religion into what I do then they will never understand what it is I do....My purpose is a fun night...That's it....If you have to read more into it than that, then I don't know what to tell you....As she said, agree to disagree....Get on with what you do and forget about it....I can promise you, you won't change her mind so forget about it.....You'll sleep better that way.....That's what I would do......I'll even add another LOL in there for good measure....LOL......ZR

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I just laugh and tell people if they have to bring religion into what I do then they will never understand what it is I do....My purpose is a fun night...That's it....If you have to read more into it than that, then I don't know what to tell you....As she said, agree to disagree....Get on with what you do and forget about it....I can promise you, you won't change her mind so forget about it.....You'll sleep better that way.....That's what I would do......I'll even add another LOL in there for good measure....LOL......ZR
Yup....just move along. Besides, when it comes to religion, a simple agree to disagree is a good thing...

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Ah, another holy hypocrite... Wonderful:rolleyes: Why can't people just not look if they don't like something, instead of letting others know exactly how much they dislike it? I will never understand that mentality. Besides, if the other religious people around have no problems whatsoever with Halloween, she is the odd one out and should learn to simply keep her unwanted opinions and beliefs to herself. I would do a demonic nun and/or skeletal priest this year just to upset her more, but it depends how spiteful you are:D

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd be sure to have a skelly peaking over "my fence" into her yard this Halloween for sure ;)

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
The first time I read your post I just didn't know what to say. Decided to come back tonight. Honestly I still don't know what to say. It's really sad that people just feel so offended by so much these days and feel they need to get in people's faces to tell them so. Hope her feeling compelled to tell you basically that you were satanic made her feel good. Sure isn't a way to maintain a cordial neighborhood relationship. I guess if it were me I would have a hard time spending any time being neighborly towards her.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I think you should make a large Devil with wings, horns, and a spiked tail and put it facing her yard. What the hell is wrong with these people. I was brought up religious and never once hated Halloween. I like to think of these people as dumb as the Salem witch craze. Just lashing out at somthing they do not try to understand just because they are closed-minded shallow people.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Eh. forget her, and if the post thing is brought up again, just remind her of whose side the post is on is the legal owner of specific fence.
My family's faced our own neighbors who demanded us to fix their fence because they were to lazy, cheap, or didn't want to tell the landlord their party hardy friends broke it.

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
I probably wouldn't do more than usual to be spiteful, but I like the idea of doing a Salem's Witch trial theme. Kind of sends a message, but would she get it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say haunt like you've never haunted before. I totally respect others religious beliefs, but i cannot stand people that push those beliefs on others/make judgements on others because they're different. and to call you satanists because you haunt for halloween is utterly ridiculous. haunt on!

·
Registered
50 Posts
oh and maybe instead of trying to make you rebuild the fence post, she should just build a taller fence so she doesn't have to look at such satanic activities. :p lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
"I think you should know that I am a Christian. Halloween is not a 'Holy-Day'..."

I would have cut her off right there with "I don't give a crap. See you later." and walked off.

Telling her about the histories of Halloween(and how christianity conned and burned and murdered its way into power in the beginning) would not at all change her mind. A useless gesture at civility where none would be reciprocated.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think you should make a large Devil with wings, horns, and a spiked tail and put it facing her yard. What the hell is wrong with these people. I was brought up religious and never once hated Halloween. I like to think of these people as dumb as the Salem witch craze. Just lashing out at somthing they do not try to understand just because they are closed-minded shallow people.
Hahaha! :D Totally my first thought as well! I'll never understand people. You're suppose to care about how she feels and her beliefs but she can show absolutely no respect for yours. I grew up in a family with some members being THAT crazy religious so it really makes my skin crawl to hear this. It would be awesome to get a prop that looks like it's staring at you no matter where you move.....and put it right near her mailbox :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It's no fun to have that kind of tension between you and your neighbor-I know.
She probably also thinks the neighbor that puts Santa on the lawn is Satanic too, so just try to ignore her.
Maybe she'll go elsewhere on Halloween!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,245 Posts
Unless its a monetary reason...don't give up your haunt. You are one of my faves! Yours is simply a work of art, the rest of us get it. We all can't be wrong!;) Sometimes these people have to preach (part of their religion) so your neighbor just saw it as a need. I really don't think she will mention it again...she has said her peace.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts