106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night Photos - Full Flickr Set - Night

Daylight Details - Full Flickr Set - Daylight

character1.jpg

night1.jpg

day1.jpg

Backstory for 2013 - 'Glaschielverto'

Some ten thousand years ago, in the time the Dark Ones call ‘the Fall’, the Veil was cast over the world, and a great magic was lost. Gaia shook and became transformed. Many civilizations ceased to exist. A few, however, remained and survived. Among these were the Glaschielverto, who exist in isolation, undisturbed by and unknown to the sleeping masses of humanity.

Far beyond even the furthest boundaries of Darkrose Hollow, beneath the ever-changing, frozen waterfall that is the terminus of the currents of ‘the Brook’ reside the Glaschielverto. These tall elves have lived underground in the dark, frozen remains of the forest and fields they once inhabited on the surface. The greater magic lost to them, the Glaschielverto culture evolved and resigned itself to a new world, a world of caves and sunken lands covered in ice and the cold pall of death.

Cut off from the human world, their ancient elven traits were not bred away. To this day, the Glaschielverto remain taller than humans, have kept their cloven feet and pointed ears, but have lost the pigmentation in their skin, hair, and eyes. Nearly blind for the absence of light in their caves, they ‘see’ still through extremely sharp senses. They clothe themselves elegantly, if sparsely, in flowing black and silver garments which stand out in stark contrast to their white skin, their white hair, their white eyes.

In days past, it is said, none who dared trespass into their world came back, as they were dispatched permanently by the reclusive Glaschielverto. Yet as the modern world grows smaller, and humans invade every corner of the Earth, the peace of their lands is threatened. Soon, not even the hooded, cloaked Cardinals that protect the elves, their king and his queen, will be able to protect that peace. It will not be long now before the eager and the foolhardy will transgress and intrude upon the primal world of the ‘elven ice demons’ known as the Glaschielverto….

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't even believe how atmospheric, original, and gorgeous your haunt is! Every year you wow us, but this is just so far from what is most often seen that it takes my breath away! :D Unbelievable!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It all looks like a tremendous amount of work, done very well. Can't get better than that! (But then the artistic vision we have for our own creations make us , ourselves, difficult to please. I pray that you and yours do not suffer from such a curse!)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've trolled many posts and admired the work of many other haunts.

Not to take anything away from all the effort of everyone else and their haunts, but this is by far the most beautiful haunt I think I've seen.

Just when you think it couldn't get any better someone comes along and raises the bar. Very nice.

Edit: been watching the various vids on the build and WOW, can't believe how the cave was built. You're very lucky to have the neighbors you've got that provided the curelap and other supplies. Mine just turn their lights off :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANK YOU!! Thank you for the amazing comments, everyone! We truly appreciate it! After last year's 'sort-of hiatus', this year was truly a blast to create! We had so much fun with it all, and the resulting haunt family of our cast and crew was an added bonus! We had a few actors in the past here and there, but this year's haunt was a full on character haunt inside the caves. I've never heard that much screaming and crying before in one of our haunts! What a GREAT feeling! Now I get why so many have a scare cam! It would have been great to capture it all! Thanks again, guys! :)

Answers to the wall structure q's...
Supplies:
Interior; 2400 feet of fiberglass screening material, 50 pallets, 300 - 2x2's 12 - 2x12's, lots of miscellaneous scrap wood, 330 cans of spray paint, 1300 board feet of open cell spray foam insulation, 20 gallons of white latex paint, 13 boxes of ready mixed and 5 - 5 gallon buckets of joint compound, 62 boxes of staples, Exterior; 600 feet of white plastic coated burlap - also known as cure-wrap, 18 cans of spray paint, and 20 boxes of staples

The interior walls started with a pallet base structure and then 2x2 uprights from inside those base pallets. Cross beams of both 2x2', 2x4's and scrap wood were added to create the tunnel/cave arches. We then attached fiberglass screening material and coated the screening in spray foam insulation inside the 'throne room' and for the remainder of the caves we sprayed a monster mud mixture using a compressor and texture hopper. Then, lots and lots of paint to give depth.

The original idea/inspiration came from Allen Hopps of Stiltbeast Studios... one of his early videos on youtube shows him foaming a cave for one of the Pro Haunts he was involved with.
If you're interested, as EviLEye mentioned, our Vlogs from this year show a great deal of the process of building the caves. Located here: http://www.youtube.com/user/darkrosemanor

Thanks Again!! Happy Haunting! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
14 Participants
darkrosemanor
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing