Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone here loves the Haunted Mansion...

For me, though, I never went through that in my formative years. No, for me here in Utah, there was Lagoon (local amusement park). BUT, Lagoon has 2 traditional Dark Rides of it's own!

Oh, I recall being absolutely terrified of the both of them.

Now, the card on the camera was nearly full, so we had to use a compressed video. I'll get some better stuff later, since we have season passes.

UNFORTUNATELY, I didn't manage to get video of the Terroride today. It's changed substantially since my last visit, so nothing was where I expected.

I DID, however, manage to get video of Dracula's Castle.

The Queu line has this darn owl making really crappy jokes...but also managing to freak out the wee ones.

And, while the interior had changed some, it still was in the same places. Got most of the exhibits. And, as you'll hear me in the video, they still managed to scare Kyle, my 10 year old. :D

For more, and some pics, you can see my blog (in my sig).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, that has changed alot! I grew up in Murray Utah. I went to Lagoon several times a year growing up. The Terror ride is my Favorite! Draculas Castle is second. Thank you for posting! I can remember the old funhouse, hall of mirrors, the old burlap silde. Man, so many good memories just hit me like a ton of bricks. Thank you for posting this. I am actually working on recreating the floating skeletons that you saw in the Terror Ride. The ones just to the left as you entered the ride. So creepy, like the mural, hahahahahaha.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Is Lagoon the name of the park? Too funny you just posted this. I was just logging in to make a post about my recent Disneyland trip and the Haunted Mansion.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. I wish there was something like that around here; the dark rides at nearby fairs just don't cut it (if they're even working):rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is Lagoon the name of the park? Too funny you just posted this. I was just logging in to make a post about my recent Disneyland trip and the Haunted Mansion.
Yes, Lagoon is a local amusement park.

L A G O O N - Fun Starts Here!

It's not on par with any of the 'big name' parks. In recent years, though, they've added a number of smaller coasters that has it being quite the decent park. I'm actually impressed with the improvements in the last 6 years since I've been. I certainly wouldn't suggest it as a travel destination unless you have a real coaster fixation, there are some nostalgic one of a kinders there. Even then, I don't think it would be worth the day admission they charge. But, being only 15 min away, and fairly reasonable season pass rates (essentially 2 day passes) make it pretty affordable for us. Go spend a couple hours, leave come back another day.

Then, there's Frightmares (october halloween theme, + a couple haunted walkthroughs). Tickets are a tad cheaper (used to be half priced!) and it's typically less crowded. But, we'll get more on that when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOW IN HIGH DEF!

My wife got a new toy for her birthday. A handheld HD video camera.

And, as our daughter was home sick with a strep throat yesterday, I told her to take the boys and head on to Lagoon as we had planned.

So, she got a high def version of Dracula's Castle, with my wife's commentary...

YouTube - Dracula's Castle

And, a video of the Terror Ride...

She had the same problem I did. It's changed SO much, she didn't know where it was coming from. We'll get a better one some time this summer.

YouTube - Terror Ride

And, for a special bonus, a priceless look on the face of my son going on the Roller Coaster. (OLD, wooden roller coaster)

YouTube - Roller Coaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
i havent been to lagoon in ages! the white rollercoaster is terrifying just because it feels and sounds like it is about to collapse at any second. nice videos!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Your son's face was a riot on that first drop! LOL!

One thing I notice and liked in the Dracula's Castle ride was sound track of crickets in one spot. Of all the scarry sound tracks I look for, a track of crickets escaped me. It's eerie all on it's own. Especially amp'd up in a grave yard scene. I'll be!

Dan

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Very cool videos. I wish some company or someone could make available a book or dvd showing different dark rides from around the world. I can't believe something like that hasnt already been done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dark ride book

Doug Higley wrote a very good book on dark rides. It is called Scary Dark Rides. I got it a few years ago and really like it. You can see it online at Scary Dark Rides Book The dark ride book is towards the bottom of the page.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
dawn thank you so much for posting that. I have been looking for something like that for years. I have done numerous searches and have never seen that come up before. I am ordering my copy today. Once again thank you. You say you have this book? If so what do you think about it? Does it have alot of pictures of the dark rides?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Very cool videos. I wish some company or someone could make available a book or dvd showing different dark rides from around the world. I can't believe something like that hasnt already been done.
For some fantastic on line reading, pics, and vid's- read through this site. Have a nice cup of coffee and take your time. I read it every so often and love the memories and behind the scenes of many dark rides of old, and new. Bookmark the site too!

Articles

Btw- I'm from NY, so the Coney Island links [Spook a Rama] are worth a million to me!

Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts