Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I am a pro with Witchhouse/Drag/Haunted House, but it doesn't go well with a creepy haunt (in my opinion). Sure, it is kind of scary, but there's no sustained build up. My next go to was Ghost Drone. Turns out that is another name for Witchouse (facepalm). Ghost ambient and solid drone tend not to have enough action for me. Does anyone that is very familiar with Dark Ambient have any suggestions?
I like it dark, demonic, ghostly, slightly abrasive, short drones, heavy on the minor chords.

There are a few introductory video mixes to dark ambient on youtube. Unfortunately, really only one band and song is listed for each.
I have a feeling that I may like Ritual Dark Ambient.

My sites for getting music tend to be bandcamp and soundcloud (also Pumpkinrot suggestions, except that his are a little TOO ambient).

The haunt that I am looking to add this music to is a balcony of an apartment complex, so I can't get extremely raucous. Theme is wraith/hooded ghost/guardian of the underworld.

Edit: I also tried melodic and ambient metal. Sludge metal, Doom metal (Murkrat was amazing), and Stoner metal were the closest to things I would even think about. Singing is completely out of the question and sounding too "songlike" is out.

Edit: I do not like Ritual Ambient. Death and Doom ambient with dialed back guitars, Black Ambient, and certain types of Noise. Noise is really dificualt to pin down because there are sub sub subgenres.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, me neither. I've looked through some guides, but a lot of the differences between sub genres of dark ambient are minute.
I'll check Atrium Carceri out.

So far on my list for my haunt, I have:

Qrabay – Spirit's Revenge

Kammaheit - Spatium

Konda - Blair Witch (it's as ghost droney as it's gonna get)

Edit: Atrium Carci - The Untold has some good chorus/ghost sounds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Star kind of reminds me of the Shadow Temple in LoZ Ocarina of Time, what with the eerie bagpipes (?) Strange Attractor is my favorite though.

Someone who I didn't even think of checking on was Aphex Twin. I have a couple of his ambient cds. Just popped in cd 1 of his collected ambient works II and I've already got 3 songs; [Tree], [Grass], and [Radiator].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts