Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There is a dollar-store type chain that is here in the Bay Area called Daiso. Technically it's not a dollar store since most things are $1.50, and many items are more than that. They tend to be big stores that carry a lot of merchandise. I think it's a store that has Japanese origins, but most of the stuff is made in China or Korea. It's a fun place to check out. They do carry Halloween items seasonally, though nothing I've felt compelled to buy ( fabric TOT bags, cheapo witch hats, cheapo black capes, etc--generally different from what one would find at a Dollar Tree of 99c Only store). My biggest complaint is all their measurements of packaged stuff is in the metric system so I gotta use an app to convert units--stupid centimeters! :)

I recently saw a few things a home haunter might be interested in:

*LED bulbs, incl --cheaply priced. Dimmable. The labels stated that they were suitable for 'damp locations' but then said something along the lines of needed to be protected; basically I couldn't be sure if they were specifically labeled for outdoor use. I'd use it outdoors in a somewhat protected fixture in my typically dry-as-a-bone climate for a limited period or taken in nightly. Probably not in rain.

*Mannequin heads. 'Nuff said. In different colors too. Yay for diversity.

I know there's locations in Union City, Mountain View, Daly City, SF, Newark and San Jose but I'm sure there's others.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love our Daiso in San Jose! A couple years ago I got some plastic urn planter things (painted them stone-ish) and use them in my cemetery display. Can't beat that for $1.50 each and they're good size. Like the mannequin heads too- but not sure on the $8 price tag. Thanks for the reminder though- this store has great things that cab be used in lots of creative ways.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also love Daiso! I used to hit the Daly City one often when I commuted on BART but now that I'm not I haven't been there in awhile, need to plan a trip! They have some great finds there for cheap, I got lots of little bits and pieces that are handy for my lab props.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Thanks V. Never heard of this Japanese chain. Here's a link to their website with over 700 stores on several continents: http://www.daisoglobal.com/store/ Only on West Coast, in California (northern and southern) and Washington State. For our Canadian neighbors there's one store in British Columbia in Richmond.

There's a few I could drive to to check out during the week...or see if hubby might want to have dinner up that way :). He kind of enjoys going into international stores so won't see this one coming for halloween potential. LOL. Would be good to scope out even if I don't see something that trip. He says let's go next weekend. A plan!

BTW those heads are kind of nice because you also get the neck shoulder area too and a bit more of flesh than the typical styro heads in the beauty supply stores or Hobby Lobby (and HL's men's head is 9.99 before 40% off coupon).

Hey don't know if our Australian Friends will see this thread but there are quite a few locations in Australia and I know they are always looking for halloween things.

·
Registered
636 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts