Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Czech Hedgehogs are a military defensive barrier that are easy to replicate using 2x4's and one wood screw. Yeah! :D Use them plopped outside the haunt to add a fast military look or for the base of an elaborate display. Below, they are in a minefield/queue line:

Here's a quick video showing just how simple they are to make:

Items Needed:
Three 4' lengths of 2x4's
One 1 1/2" wood screw
Monster mud colors (see Grime up props tutorial)
Gloss acrylic varnish

Tools Needed:
Saw
Hammer
Chisel
Drill
Small paint roller
Paint brush

Build Hedgehogs: Take two of the boards and cut notches at the 2' mark - 1 3/4" deep and 1 5/8" wide. To do this, cut channels using your saw and then chip out using the chisel and hammer. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this so please comment with the better way. A woodworker I am not :p

Place the third board crosswise against one of the notched boards. Position it just to the side of the notch. Screw in a 1 1/2" wood screw to join them together.

Assemble: Slide the notched board over the other notched board and set on the ground. It's as easy as that. To disassemble, pull off the last board, loosen the screw and fold down. They stack great :)

Grime: Czech Hedgehogs were made of iron. Give it that aged iron look by following the 'griming' technique shown in my previous tutorial (detailed) here at the forum: http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/696-grime-up-props-tutorial.html

Or video version (not so detailed):

Here's what they'll look like after it's done being grimed up. It's an army of them :D

I used mine in a minefield/queue line. It has black 2" PVC pipes and fake barbed wire strewn across to make them more into fencing. On the ground there is broken brick and fake broken glass pieces. There's bits of cheesecloth and jute netting thrown around (especially in the center). Pallets that were cut in half are piled up on one side. Accents: skulls, bones, chains, ropes, bullet belts and ammo cans. Finally, burlap sandbags from the military surplus store 'grimed' up and filled with packing material.

Thanks for checking out my tutorial. :)

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,337 Posts
Eeeek! Now - this time of year -- one might stick a Santa - or grinch - in the middle and let the set up blend into the holidaze!! Nicely done Terra!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts