Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still enjoying reading and viewing all these tutorials on prop building. The closest I came to building a prop was my boarded up windows, which I guess is a start ?

Anyways... I really want a monster in the box prop, grave breaker, or something like that. They require these pnematic things which I barely know anything about.

So my question is...what kinda compressor do you need to run these small 3 or 6 inch cyclinder devices. I'm guessing it depends on how many you have...but lets say just 1, or 2.

I mean I have a TALL AIR compressor in my garage for blowing out my sprinklers, so I'm sure that would work..but its loud and stays on quite often. It doesnt seem practical, and I hate to have it run loud so people could hear that over my props.

What do others use? Something smaller? Cheaper? Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The size of the air storage tank and the horsepower of your compressor motor will impact how often and long your compressor runs. Another factor is how often your prop is triggered. If you are just doing one prop which has two cylinders you could buy a portable air storage tank so your compressor does not run all the time. Here is one I bought from Amazon, but you can get them at Sears and other places. Amazon.com: Wilmar W10005 5-Gallon Portable Air Tank: Home Improvement

This thread deals with compressors and you may be able to pick up some helpful info in it. http://www.halloweenforum.com/hallo...eeded-calling-all-multiple-prop-haunters.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
i run my big comp in my shop wit air line extensions it only comes on like once an hour. a smaller portable one will work but it will be on more defeating the purpose of keeping quiet . Cylinders dont use much air but spitters do. example i can run 2 3" cyls on a 5 gallon air tank with no compressor for 10 min straight. Though obviously the slow down at the end. Just to giv an idea were not talking huge volumes of air here.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am also new to the pneumatic set ups. I did a single acting cylinder made from a screen door closer last year. it popped up a Blucky skel from laying down flat to standing up. It worked great except the slamming back down every time it reset. But any way I have a compressor my friend stored in my garage (Craftsman 33 gal. Air Compressor, 1.6 hp, Vertical Tank, 150 Max PSI). This is probably on the big side but I hope to add other props to it next year. I do have mine in my garage with the door all the way down. Just the hose is running out from under the door. If you get a thinner hose the door should seal around it pretty good. My compressor is pretty loud but you can not here it when it does kick on. I put mine on a motion sensor so the prop is going often. This is a great site for info on how to do every thing you will need. I also have a few links bookmarked for cylinder build (although this year I am using an actual air cylinder instead of the door closer) and the actual frame builds. If you want I can send it to you if you can not find anything you are looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts