Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I needed to cut a 4" think sheet of white Styrofoam and after doing a search I didn't really find what I was looking for. I was looking for something I already had at home with out really having to make something to cut it, like a hot wire cutter or anything else like that. So I sat and thought about what I could use that would make a somewhat smooth cut and not make to much of a mess? This is what I found.

Now Im not sure if this is a bread knife or a carving knife but its works great and with little mess.

So I tried it on a 2" sheet that I needed to make a few 12x12 pieces for something else.

Here is a picture to show how smooth of a cut you can get. Left side is what I cut and right side is factory.

The knife is also flexable so you can make just about any cut?

Hope this helps others that are like me and looking for the cheap and easy way to make stuff for Halloween.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the info ....psst, don't let wifey find out you are using that from the kitchen drawer
Ha! She is a Paramedic and works 24hr shifts. No, once I found out it worked good I got one from the goodwill store for $1.00

·
Registered
623 Posts
Anyone tried an electric knife? I know people use them for cutting upholstery foam and if it makes a smooth cut it would be a lot easier than a manual knife.

;) It sets my teeth on edge just thinking about the squeaking noise from a knife cutting Styrofoam.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Will this work on the type of foam you get in furniture packing? I got some free recently but it's not smooth like the stuff you pictured here, it looks more bobbly. Also, it's only about 2 inches thick (which works fine for what I need it for).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will this work on the type of foam you get in furniture packing? I got some free recently but it's not smooth like the stuff you pictured here, it looks more bobbly. Also, it's only about 2 inches thick (which works fine for what I need it for).
The stuff I cut was 2 inches, but I would say stronger then what you are talking about. I think it will cut it just fine, just take it slow an see how it gos.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you check out my Ship's Anchor tutorial, I used one of those battery-operated pumpkin carving knives. Seemed appropriate, given its use, and it worked great. Fairly clean cuts, and not too messy. Would only be good for roughly 1 inch thick Styrofoam, though, since the blades aren't very long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
CreepyCreations
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing