Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to cut this stuff into a circle? It's one of those clearish panels used in suspended ceilings under florescent lights. I'm afraid any kind of saw might cause the sheet to crack and or splinter...

20191012_193047.jpg

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,695 Posts
I personally have used an exacto knife and carefully cut using straight edge metal ruler. Score it lightly and then use a bit more pressure to cut through,then snap as it will naturally want to break along the scored line.

Doing a circle will be similar, but you'll need to get a small sharp tack or nail placed in the center of the circle, attach a strong thread/string to the exacto (measured to be HALF the size you want the circle to end up and include the bit you've tied to the exacto body) and then make sure to hold that exacto perfectly straight (90˚ angle) all the way around several times to score it in a circle. Make sure you cut through at least halfway through the thickness. Then score some straight lines AWAY from the circle, forming "sunray" type shapes. Snap THOSE to basically free the circle from the center. Sandpaper the edges to remove any rough spots

Likely will be an easier way, but this probably will work with a minimum investment in $.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have done this once and I wound up making an octagon with a oscillating tool. It freaking MELTS with most rotary saw blades. Ugh ... good luck, make practice cuts in the corners :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally have used an exacto knife and carefully cut using straight edge metal ruler. Score it lightly and then use a bit more pressure to cut through,then snap as it will naturally want to break along the scored line.

Doing a circle will be similar, but you'll need to get a small sharp tack or nail placed in the center of the circle, attach a strong thread/string to the exacto (measured to be HALF the size you want the circle to end up and include the bit you've tied to the exacto body) and then make sure to hold that exacto perfectly straight (90˚ angle) all the way around several times to score it in a circle. Make sure you cut through at least halfway through the thickness. Then score some straight lines AWAY from the circle, forming "sunray" type shapes. Snap THOSE to basically free the circle from the center. Sandpaper the edges to remove any rough spots

Likely will be an easier way, but this probably will work with a minimum investment in $.
Thanks. My exacto is probably too dull to do this but I like your approach.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to score some plexiglass for my cauldron a few years ago. Would have loved to use these blades instead. Curious how well they work. I may attempt to redo my glass if they work as well as they sound. Anyone have any experience with these or similar?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,235 Posts
Cut some of these for the lights in our downstairs lounge sometime back...I recommend swearing a lot and breaking the plastic into thousands of tiny shards. That's what I did at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts