Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks: I'm a little stumped in the planning process for my next project. It will require me to cut mitered corners in large sheets of foam. I know I'll have to do a little patching where they don't quite match up, but is there a good way to slice down the length of a sheet and maintain a consistent 45 degree angle? For example, if you wanted to make a squared pillar and have the foam sheets meet on the outside corner in a nice neat way. I use a protractor for smaller pieces but I'm not sure how to make a cut that needs to go down a sheet several feet long.
Thanks in advance for all of your genius ideas!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have used a table saw with a fine tooth blade. If you have access to one with a fence you can get straight cuts and the blade can be adjusted for the 45 degree angle. Not sure if anyone else will have a better idea.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you don't have a table saw, I would set up a jig/miter box. Just a couple of pieces of wood set up correctly so you can use a hand saw to make the same cut over and over. Think of it like a bigger version of a bagel slicer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Another vote for using a table saw as the best choice. You can also get pretty good results by clamping a straight edge to the piece and use it to guide a circular saw or jig saw set to 45 degrees.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The hot wire foam cutter can be set to 45 degrees and would work well for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts