Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really would like to do this, but I don't know how to start—cut a 24" diagonal monitor down to a 4 x 20" strip display.

First, I'm not sure it's an LCD or an LED, so that matters.

Then, I have to think about the connectors, how the traces are run in the active layers of the screen, and if I cut the materials so they're 4 x 20", how do I make sure the active lines are still working, plus how do I make sure I haven't cut off the ground plane or bus? That's the part that's got me stumped.

I would think I could take a 4" strip from the top, or from the middle, or from the bottom of the monitor, and leaving the remaining wiring connected. If I still have a ground bus, then if the connectors are part of the 4" strip assembly, just plug it back in, design my artwork to fit the 4 x 20" aspect ratio, and I should be able to display whatever I want.

Any help would be appreciated. This is still sort of pie in the sky. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible. I think you'd be better off possibly editing your video to fit 20x4 and then hide the rest of the unit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm with J-Man, I don't think it's possible.
What are you trying to achieve? If you just want a LED matrix then perhaps you could buy/build a LED Matrix Panel/Display

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not possible. I do plenty of electronics and have been in the business products repair side of computers/laptops for over 20 years. Outline more information on what you are trying to achieve. If you are wanting to go really cheap you can go about it multiple ways. Aliexpress is a pretty cheap option if you are not in a rush. Another option would be to try to find something at a local electronics recycler. One more option is Ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts