Halloween Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Awww thank you so much sharkgal :) having a theme helps me a lot cause it keeps me from getting distracted by all the cool ideas and props out there ;) if I could I’d have a total menagerie of stuff but budget and space won’t allow for that :( so that helps....Plus I’m kinda a nerd so themes like this are doubly fun as I get to discover new things and try to introduce them to our guests (usually through food, music, scents)...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Awww thanks Halloween Trick its definitely proving to be a challenge lol...I think I underestimated how much mache I'd be doing to keep on budget lol. And how much space I was going to need to store it all lol. Right now I'm working on stuff for our treasure room...working on 3 obelisks and then I'm hoping to start my gold piles.

(Mom stopped by the other day and was picking through my christmas stuff making sure I save the stuff she wants (gingerbread men of course lol and the house) so now I'm also working on some of those projects for our Silent Night theme...it wont b for awhile but it's a nice break from the egyptian in the meantime lol)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everything looks amazing! I think the fx will work great. With the detail you've done on the props, the light is just the icing on the...uh..treasure. I've had great luck with the cheaper lights fx lately - 15 bucks on amazon. I still have some of these cheap lasers that I thought would only last one season and we're on year 3. That's like 5 bucks a year! Can't find that at a Spirit store.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thank you so much Orgarob for both the compliment and the encouragement on the light 😀 it's absolutely amazing what they sell now days....and so cheap to boot 🙂 love hearing how well yours have lasted too cause at such cheap prices I was a little worried if they would even work....now I just have to patiently wait 30-45 days for it to get here....thank goodness my parties not till next year huh 😜 lol

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Gold pile update....I made it too big and ran out of coins so that's that lol. But in the meantime I'm hoping this wrapping paper(found on etsy) gets here quick cause I'm hoping to try and recreate one of these chests or something similar ;) ;)
6145b2616e666424c52f2b7ab29fcc9f.jpg
il_fullxfull.2007071426_bx6o.jpg
E08A49AA-CF2F-4615-830A-CC72D557695F.jpeg
7C296FC5-5449-4284-BA39-66A49718CF77.jpeg

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
I can't believe you are going to tackle a chest too, but then again I added something recently to my theme :rolleyes:. Those chests are beautiful so can understand getting the inspiration to do one. The obelisks and OMG the anubis all look great. So hard to believe it's papier mâché. And painting something golden is not easy to achieve and you did.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks GofS yeah the metallic finish and paper mache are really tricky but I was surprised how well it worked on the obelisks....may have to add some more to the anubis ;)

For the trunk I initially thought I could just repurpose my pirate trunk I made a few years back but I think the profile of it would be all wrong and I really hate to destroy it...so a new one it is ;) I really wanted to do a more exciting project next but mache is pretty much free so that's always good :) Plus I really want to put these things in storage (as they are taking over the livingroom) but i need to make sure everything will fit so the chests presence is greatly needed so i can figure out what else my coffee table display can hold and how big the gold pile can be lol.

Once I get all that done and put away I'm hoping to start one of the larger mache items. I figure if I keep at it I might get all the props done by spring which would b awesome

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
I remember an old thread on here I read many moons ago probably, where someone did a really cool pirates chest with booty gold coin. They also added those colored acrylic gems as I recall and rigged some lighting coming up from below to illuminate the gems, and near by coins I suppose. Believe they created a styrofoam "tray" of sorts near the top of the chest to layer the coins and gems on (easy to fish small "rice?" LED lighting through from below and store batteries and such in the lower compartment). At least that's how I think I remember the project going but also might be some of my imagination in there :) as well. I'll do a quick look through things I saved to my computer to see it I can find it. Don't know how your treasure was being done but thought this might be helpful. And hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to describe!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Well don't have much time to look this morning and didn't see anything pop up, I could swear seeing some photos or videos of what I described too, but nevertheless there are some great ideas in this thread (posting page link where people start discussing the treasure in the chest) which might give you some ideas on the line of illuminating your Egyptian treasure:

Discussion starts around @beavervw's Post #492 with the wooden chest photo. Possible what I'm remembering in photo/video has been lost to us as well but I liked adding lighting from below and rigging lighting in the chest partially opened lid. So many photos and video lost...:confused:

@Wolfbeard had this suggestion (Post #2) for an underlying surface for the treasure (sadly photos gone): "As for your question on how to make it look like there is more treasure in the chest, try carefully crumpling up sheets of aluminum foil, then opening them back up to be somewhat flat. You want a lot of surface texture, then paint it gold. Use this under the actual treasure pieces" @Roadkill_be used the crumbled foil and based coated it black and then sprayed sparkling gold over it (Post #13). Photos also missing.

If you want piles of gold coin laying around @Skelly215's suggestion in #18 sounded like a good one.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Sweet thank u, here's the one I made (u can see what I mean about the shape...very pirate). I do have this plastic one I painted too...i thought the shape might allow me to squeeze it in somewhere but we’ll see ;) I just wish it didn't have the ”nail head trim”.

The coin piles r being built up out of recyclables and paper mached. I was gonna go with the spray foam but I had newspaper so why not lol. I made one it's pretty large (ran out of coins but I've got some coming ;) )....still want to do one for the table and maybe a couple bigger ones for the floor but the bigger ones might just b painted or ill use glitter cloth or poker chips. They won't b in direct view so I think I can cheat the effect a bit ;).
7365037F-92F2-4C26-97F7-AB2DCB29763B.jpeg
F5B4D0DE-34E6-4D49-85FA-40410F2899E4.jpeg
41260503-2FAE-4039-BEB8-1F755AEDFFF3.jpeg

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I was going through my boxes and came across an old zombie mask I have....so now I'm thinking of doing my version of this...ill have to do a little more mummy wrap to cover the mask edging and the midriff but I think it's doable and would be cheaper than my original option...might give that creep factor to the party too

Opinions?
24482120-9D35-4563-A90E-E38379F981AC.jpeg
9A635869-E8BC-4CC3-BDD3-ECED1CED29B0.jpeg

61 - 79 of 79 Posts