Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So despite my best efforts to get through the local renaissance faire first, my brain is already leaping into Halloween Prep-Mode. This year I'd really like to make a fancy entrance for the cemetery, maybe flanked by a couple of statues. And I was curious if it was possible to rig one of the statues to move when people walk past?

Long story short, I want a weeping angel. And I'd love to have a motion sensor cause the accent lighting to flicker out briefly, the hands to move down from the face, and then the lights come back on so that the statue is visible again. The only trouble is, I have no idea if this is even plausible from a home haunter standpoint. Anyone with experience with this sort of thing? Your pointers would be so very appreciated!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would say this is doable (as most things are) but of course it would be based on how much money you would want to spend on the project. This could be done with a multiple output prop controller and either a pneumatic or motor driven actuator for the arms/hands to accomplish what you have listed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mechanically it should be fairly easy and if you use surplus motors and controls it should be pretty cheap. My question would be more on why you would do it? What do you anticipate the response would be? Moving props are really only scary when their movement is intimidating and unexpected (ala the jumping spider). I guess a moving statue would be unexpected, but would an angel looking at you be intimidating or scary? Maybe if the statue looked like an angel with the hands up, but with the hands down the angel has a demon's face? Also people aren't expecting a statue to move, so they tend not to focus on them. The effect isn't much of an effect unless people are focused on it, and to call attention to it so they'll notice it kills the unexpected aspect of the prop.

Tough call to make.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have no experience in making props move but I get what your trying to accomplish. However if the people your trying to scare/surprise don't watch Doctor Who then I'm afraid they won't have much of a reaction. :/

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of my friends watch Doctor Who, so even if they statues were static they would get the desired effect. I guess it's just my brain going into overdrive for the brainstorming portion; I'll rein it back in when it comes time to actual construction.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We built three weeping angels last halloween- not exact copies, but close enough that people recognized them for what they were (plus we won't get sued by the BBC lol). Plenty of Whovians from the reactions, but even people who didn't know what they were found them unsettling, due primarily to the lighting and the way they were shielding their faces. This year, we want one to turn and reveal the attack face when people are taking pics with them (they were a popular photo op last year), and several people on the forum recommended prop controllers for a timer and an actuator to make it pivot on command. Keep posting, I want to see what you come up with (so I can poach it :D)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts