Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally finished Cucur. He is a Pumpkin Rot inspire creation and my Thanks go to Rot.

Cucur is made from PVC, newspaper, 9 and 16 gauge wire, paper towels, tissue paper and toilet tissue. Four'ish different layers of paint on the body and three'ish on the head. He stands 5'6" and can either stand via the stand in the picture or he can be slid over rebar. Not sure on the weight but I'm guessing around 25 pounds with the wood stand.
The head was created using Stolloween's pumpkin head technique.
You can find more pictures of Cucur on my blog Gallery

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Nice work he looks terrific. I so love to see homemade props.

·
Registered
250 Posts
WOW!!! How BEAUTIFUL and frightening -- incredibly awesome -- I love how you made him freestanding, like a tree! And thanks for the link to Stolloween's pumpkin head tutorial, I've been trying to find that! Someday I would love to attempt one of these . . .

·
Registered
650 Posts
Kimily.... This is absolutely awesome! I wish I'd seen your pictures before I started mine, I love the way you "crumpled" the paper towel (?) all over... Makes him look old....

And I L-O-V-E the stem! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is AMAZING work! I love the texture of the pumpkin face and the long fingers and the feet! I guess I love it all! What did you use to form the head? Please post a pic of him during the night so we can get the full effect, too! love love LOVE it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

WickedBB - It is paper towel. I normally use Toilet tissue, it doesn't leave the paper towel texture to deal with, like you can see in his head close up. I think I got impatient and forgot to do the toilet tissue layer. Heh!
My mache mix is 1 cup Elmers glue, 1 cup water, 1 cup corn starch. I prefer the 1:1:1 ratio and its friggin hard when it sets up.

Jess-o-lantern - I used Stolloweens technique for the head. Basically take a plastic bag, I used a grocery bag for him, stuff it full of crumpled newspaper, tie it off then add scotch tape for the lines. The stem is a toilet paper tube that I sliced down the middle long ways so I could make the tube diameter smaller, like this:

·
Registered
340 Posts
sweeeet! Nice one, I especialy like the stand :) How did you make the fingers? Are they flexable and how many layers of papaer mache did you use? What about sealing it? Tell me your secrets...lol!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Fantastic work of art! Really creepy!
That's a great and super cheap way to make a pumpkin head. Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sweeeet! Nice one, I especialy like the stand :) How did you make the fingers? Are they flexable and how many layers of papaer mache did you use? What about sealing it? Tell me your secrets...lol!
The stock is PVC with newspaper clumped here and there for lumpy'ness. Two layers of mache with paper towel then two with toilet paper.
The ribcage is 16 gauge wire with newspaper rolled over it and flattened.
The ribcage has two layers of mache with one layer of Tissue paper, like you use when you wrap gifts, and I will not use it again for something like this.
The rooty feet is 16 gauge wire with newspaper rolled over it, like the ribcage.
The fingers are 9 gauge wire with scotch tape wrapped around it, to give the mache something to cling to and not flexible except to wiggle when touched One layer of paper towel mache then two layers of toilet paper mache that is really bunched up to give it the barky look.

I sealed the whole thing with oil based polyurethane over the mache then painted.

·
Registered
340 Posts
thanks KimilyTheStrange!
Did I read this right?
I sealed the whole thing with oil based polyurethane over the mache then painted
I didn't know you could paint over polyurethane. I was going to poly mine after painting but this way seems better with the poly being right on the paper mache. Will it stand up to cold weather?
J/K...I saw you lived in Alaska and I'm guesing that if it can take the cold up there it can take it anywhere :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't know you could paint over polyurethane. I was going to poly mine after painting but this way seems better with the poly being right on the paper mache. Will it stand up to cold weather?
J/K...I saw you lived in Alaska and I'm guesing that if it can take the cold up there it can take it anywhere :)
You sure can. I always use Flat black, or Flat whatever color over the Poly coat. After you seal the mache with Poly, Spar, etc., let it sit for 24 hours. You will be surprised by the poly soaking in to the mache.

Poly over paint makes it shiney and has a yellowish tint to it, unless this is what your going for, put the Poly under the paint.

Yup... it stands up to the Alaska cold, wet snowy'ness.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts