Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Looking good man! You're really cranking them out this year!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good man! You're really cranking them out this year!
I don't have much choice as it's kind of a 1 man show at this point. Neither the owner of the barn nor his brother is much into prop building. Even worse they are both foremen for a big paving company and starting soon they will be out of town for days if not weeks at a time. I'm really thinking of advertising for some help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looking great and very creepy. I was just wondering do you have any crows with the scarecrows? I am looking at making some to use at my Haunted Manor, they are so expensive to buy and I want quite a few. I didn't just want to use cardboard wanted to make the look as real as possible. I have got a few things I am going to try but wondered if you had made any?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sharonr3106,

I would get one that can act as a model. Then you could carve out a block of foam and paint it with a foam compatible paint. Or, make a mold of the model and cast it using Great Stuff expanding foam. You could also make them out of plaster and paint a weather resistant coating on them. If they will sit outside for a short time, UV damage is not so bad but if they sit out in the weather for a long time, they can get damaged by the elements.

If you want realistic, you want feathers. But I don't know where you'd get a bag of black crow feathers other than eBay and sure enough, they have feathers, wings, and crows...

Hope this helps!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Looking great and very creepy. I was just wondering do you have any crows with the scarecrows? I am looking at making some to use at my Haunted Manor, they are so expensive to buy and I want quite a few. I didn't just want to use cardboard wanted to make the look as real as possible. I have got a few things I am going to try but wondered if you had made any?
Sent you a p.m.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sharon
There is a crow on this ones shoulder but you really can't see it in the photo.
Stiltbeast did a tutorial on making them out of craft foam I think. As I recall his premise was that if you have a couple high end crows up front the not so detailed ones work fine for everything else.
jdubbya
If you have a source or other info I would also be interested.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Sharon
There is a crow on this ones shoulder but you really can't see it in the photo.
Stiltbeast did a tutorial on making them out of craft foam I think. As I recall his premise was that if you have a couple high end crows up front the not so detailed ones work fine for everything else.
jdubbya
If you have a source or other info I would also be interested.
Nope. I sent her the link to stiltbeast crow vid lol!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the link jdubba. His crows do look effective and it is a good idea to have more detailed ones at the front. I am currently just about start an attempt to make a crow with an idea I had, so watch this space..could be a bird Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of or an epic fail:confused:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link jdubba. His crows do look effective and it is a good idea to have more detailed ones at the front. I am currently just about start an attempt to make a crow with an idea I had, so watch this space..could be a bird Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of or an epic fail:confused:
Looking forward to seeing it/them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts