Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feel that having some one with a mask and a real chain saw with no chain obviousle !!! Is crossing the line !!! Its just sound !!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm going to go with a No...as when I was much younger doing haunts we had used a teenager who ran the chainsaw and never had any complaints. ???

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
I don't think it is crossing the line!! I have used them before, and been to a few haunts that have used them!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its all in a good scare there is nothing rong with that thank you !! and its not like i am going to go up to any 5 year olds to traumatize them !!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't really know. The way I would determine if I were to use it is to get maybe a piece of wood, and strike with your chainless chainsaw. If it doesn't cause any damage, than you are pretty safe. What happens if someone runs into the chainsaw guy, and they get hurt.

It's going to be your fault, so I would just make sure on what the thing can do without a chain on it. The plastic ones they sell aren't going to hurt if a person runs into you, but I don't know about the real ones.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Of course you have to have a chainsaw as long as its inoperable. The sound of a chainsaw reeving is one of the classic scares.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Ole Veteran checking in here. We first used a Chainsaw in our Haunt in 1990. We've tapered off since then because it's become old hat, predictable, mundane, been-there, done-that. What was once a Hallowe'en Icon is now a Hallowe'en Bromide. Ya gotta keep it Fresh.

Crossing the Line? That would be "Groping", which one of our members here was nailed for a few years back. Madmax is STILL in jail. THAT'S crossing the line!

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I am curious. Why are you asking us this question?

But NO it is not crossing the line. I am a HUGE fan of the chainsaw scare. I have been having a haunt for several years now (with mostly teenagers) and I believe that no matter what anyone says about it, the chainsaw is one of the most effective scares. There are those that argue it is not scary cause everyone knows there's no chain, and that there needs to be atmosphere bla bla. Atmosphere is true but an enthusiastic chainsaw guy is gold. For some reason most people are not able to process that there is no chain.
If the chainsaw is being used at the Fall Festival of an elementary school, maybe it is crossing the line. If it's trick or treaters maybe that too. If it's a haunt with teens and adults, I say no. Let her rip. Some even expect it I think.
As far as getting hurt on the unchained bar. Well, you can get hurt on anything. I know from personal experience that the chainsaw guy is more likely to be injured than his victims.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Ole Veteran checking in here. We first used a Chainsaw in our Haunt in 1990. We've tapered off since then because it's become old hat, predictable, mundane, been-there, done-that. What was once a Hallowe'en Icon is now a Hallowe'en Bromide. Ya gotta keep it Fresh.
Yeah, one haunt we went to last year had relegated the chainsaw guy to working the queu line.

Once the grand finale, now the pre-show warmup...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sure it's become cliche and old hat, but it is by far the most requested scare at our haunt. We gave it a year off here and there, and then all I hear is "are you going to have a chainsaw?" "we love the chainsaw" "that really scared us". Oh well, gotta give the public what they want lol.

As far as over the line, I don't think it's anywhere even close to the line.

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Sure it's become cliche and old hat, but it is by far the most requested scare at our haunt. We gave it a year off here and there, and then all I hear is "are you going to have a chainsaw?" "we love the chainsaw" "that really scared us". Oh well, gotta give the public what they want lol.

As far as over the line, I don't think it's anywhere even close to the line.
Oh yes and everytime that I have been chased by the chainsaw man. The hairs stand up on my arms and the back of my neck!!! I think it is effective!!!
hmmmmmm maybe it is time for the chainsaw man to come back to my haunt, its been awhile:D:D

·
Creepy Clown Is Redundant
642 Posts
I absolutely love chasing kiddies with my chainsaw. The smell , the sound, the look of terror on their faces is so addicting. Be sure to take out the chain oil if not your gonna have a mess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gotta ask the same question as Creepyhomemaker, why do you ask? The chainsaw is a classic, just change room designs and different ideas from year to year. Don't use Leatherface every year, and gauranteed the guests will freak out. You can always tell by the reaction of your guests whether you need to rev it out or put it away. Some people get really aggrevated, but that is the reason we have a huge posting outside the haunt listing the sounds and visions and all the other experiences they are going to have by walking in our door.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
iI have posted this because the haunt i am doing is at my brother inlaw . and its a 2 for one its a haunt and trick or treet !!!. and he is scared that it will traumatize the children . the haunt itself with the chain saw is happening in a 10x10 cubicule with an other actress . so if i was a parent of a 5 year old i would say no dont go in maybe next year thats it . or i miss something . aneway my brother in law is a big taky sissi !!!!!!!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
If it's little kids, like toddlers, I can see the concern!!!
The chainsaw is a good scare for kids, teens and adults, but showing a little restraint for the little ones is understandable!!!

One of the best scares I ever saw wasn't the chainsaw, but it had a similar effect!!! Someone used a leafblower!!! When it revved up, people initially thought 'chainsaw' but before they could figure out what is was, the leafblower came into range, blowing leaves and air on their legs!!!
People freaked out due to the sensation and the noise combined!!!
It was unexpected, a nice twist on the old chainsaw trick!!!

By the way, I have a question!!!
Why is every sentence in this thread using multiple exclamation marks in inappropriate ways!!!
I mean, that last sentence should have ended with a single question mark!!!
Typos are one thing, but this is kinda creepy!!!

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
By the way, I have a question!!!
Why is every sentence in this thread using multiple exclamation marks in inappropriate ways!!!
I mean, that last sentence should have ended with a single question mark!!!
Typos are one thing, but this is kinda creepy!!!

it's just so we can freak you out spats!!!!!

oh and no the chain saw isn't over the top, if you get smallish kids you might have a look out, then have your chain saw guy kick the choke on full and just be trying to start it rather than revving it full bore. then you get to keep your scare and not turn the little ones off to our fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is 2 path ways to get to the candy one for the teens and adults and the other for the little guys . and i have staff telling people to go in or not !!! but if every parent can have a good jugement not to go in he is to young then we have no problemes . the thing is i am in canada where we do this . we are 10 years late here and the mental aspect is probably not ready yet !!!!!!!!! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 20 of 37 Posts