Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ghost Rock thread got me thinking....

Probably all of us here had a love of Halloween themed toys as children. I still have my 1964 Mattel Creepy Crawler Thingmaker. I sold all of my Aurora Monster Models... or at least what was left of them a few years ago. I also had some sort of hangman game that featured glow-in-the-dark skeletons.

What about you?

Did you have spooky-themed toys as a kid? Still have any? Collect them now?

·
Registered
472 Posts
As a kid I had a "Shrunken head" kit that had Vincent Price on the box. You carved an apple per instructions and the kit had eyes, hair and other stuff to give it details before it shrunk up.

Aurora Monster kits ? Nope , but I am making up for lost time now. I bought several remakes of the kits.
Just finished up Frankenstein , first time I saw this kit was at a friends house when I was 10 years old - 39 years later I now have one !

Working on Dracula right now.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I assembled then painted "The Creature" From the Black Lagoon kit. I painted his scales to look very glossy and colorful, I gave it to the JCs President since he told me this had been his favorite monster as a kid.
He reacted to this gift.. just like a kid! All excited! Happy! Quite something for a lawyer!
It graced his desk for I believe, quite a time.
I accidently ended up in Florida where those "Creature" movies were filmed. There are actual gators swimming in those waters! I suddenly had instant respect for that guy in that cumbersome "rubber" suit back in the 1950's.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I still have my "Strange Change Machine" that I got for Christmas sometime in the mid-60's. It has these little plastic cubes that you would put in the heating chamber and they would unfold into monsters, well really mostly dinosaurs. They would harden when taken out of the heat chamber.
Then when you were done playing with them, you would heat them up again and put the creatures into a compression chamber (kind of like a miniature version of a car crusher at a junkyard) then turn a crank to smash them back into a cube shape.
Like I said, it was mostly dinosaurs, but it also included a robot and a Mummy (can't quite figure that one out).
It still works, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Rumsfield, you did a much better job than did my big brother. The Auroras were his and not many were intact by the time I got my hands on them.

I also have the whole Disney LP collection. Naturally, the one I listened to again and again was The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was the proud owner of a first generation version of the Incredible Edibles sold by Mattel in the 1960s,
The Incredible Edible set was similar to the Creepy Crawler toy, in that it used molds to form different shapes,creepy spiders, centipedes, fly's and other creepy stuff and a heating element to cook it, but it used an edible liquid called Gobble De-Goop, that when heated, turned into what I can best describe as the consistency of a Gummy Bear. The taste was indescribable, not too bad, but not great either. If they had sold these at the candy store, they would definitely not have been my first choice. Also had Addams family the thing bank and a board game called which witch, loved that game, and of course Sea Monkeys, I couldn’t wait to teach them tricks like the ad in the comic book said lol.
I’m sure my friends and family are saying to themselves–now that explains a lot. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"i got a rock!" - I totally forgot that I had "The Thing" coin bank as well! Don't know what ever happened to it, but thanks for reminding me they existed.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Pretty cool. This thread is an education for us young'uns;)

Most of my horror-themed toys are from the early 1990s onward, which, I guess, could be considered 'vintage' anymore. I have a reissue of the Aurora 'Phantom of the Opera' model, though I have yet to actually build it, despite the kit being in my possession for over a decade now:eek: Also, I own a couple of Pressman board games, Escape From Frankenstein and Revenge of Dracula, that both feature toys of the title monsters (Frankie is somewhat posable and gets assembled during gameplay, while Drac is a black figurine) [photos posted of each are from the Web]. Last year, I managed to pick up the final figure that I needed to complete a set of Burger King's rendition of the Universal Monsters, Dracula; all four are actually nicely done for being basically 'Crappy Meal' premiums. I am going to stop, but if anyone wants to hear me ramble some more, just let me know and I will oblige you:D

Frank.jpg

Drac.jpg

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had "sea monkeys" also :D
As a kid I never really read the comic books being circulated around the classroom - I studied the adds of all the wonderful things you could buy advertised in them. Yes I ordered the 7' tall ghost and Frankenstein among other things. (I loved magic tricks)

Garth - I would be more then happy to hear your "ramblings" as for me this stuff is a real time machine as I get younger every time I see or read about this stuff.
And it is a good time for you to build that "Phantom kit"

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I have "pieces" of what I believe may be original aurora models. I know I have Frankenstein and Dracula and one or the other is missing the base. The other seems like it might have been a swamp man or something like that. I found them in a old house that some friends were tearing down and saved them from the trash. Now I'll have to dig them out and see.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Okay then, more rambling:p If anyone remembers the little rubber figures called 'Monster in My Pocket', I still have a bunch of those. The British actually have a more recent line of them (official site: http://monster.inmypocket.com/), which I have never seen anywhere in the States.

Boglins are always good for a laugh, with the amusing things that can be done with them, and I like that they are both creepy and comical at once. I've got this character, Sponk:
Boglins.jpg

Additionally, I own both series of the McFarlane Monsters playsets, which are pretty close to G.I. Joe scale and could make for some fun scenes with the military versus monsters:D Like most of McFarlane's figures, unfortunately, the quality is subpar and some had to have their arms glued back into place or their heads, which were meant to turn, reattached:rolleyes:

McF Monsters.jpg

Creature.jpg Phantom.jpg

Mummy.jpg

Dr. Frank.jpg

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That finger munching game looks so cool!

Lizzie- Those Aurora parts are still good sellers. I had no problem selling parts and incomplete models.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
I had the Remco Universal Monster figures as a kid, which I have started buying back now as an adult. lol

I also remember the, I can't think of the official name, Monster Maker art set. You could change 3 different panels to create different monsters.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
found this last year for 1.00
That game looks hilarious, Saki. I think that is what a friend was telling me about recently. Does he have felt marker tip fangs? If so, that is it. Great buy, either way.

I had the Remco Universal Monster figures as a kid, which I have started buying back now as an adult. lol
I had the small, glow versions of quite a few of the monsters, although I wound up selling them the other year due to being strapped for cash (a fact that has not changed:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
OK Rumsfield - I musta tried a hundred times to order that 7' tall Frankenstein. What did you get when it came? I'm dying to know!
Was it an inflatable that could be ordered from some brand of popsicles during either the later '80s or early '90s? I kind of remember a Frankenstein something like that, but I never was able to get it. I am curious now, too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK Rumsfield - I musta tried a hundred times to order that 7' tall Frankenstein. What did you get when it came? I'm dying to know!
HM
Frank was 6' tall and he was a poster

And the ghost was a white balloon, A large piece of white plastic, a roll of fine monofilament fishing line - The instruction recommended a coat hanger to make the shoulders.

Was I disappointed - maybe at first as I expected a huge crate in the mail. But I had a blast with that ghost and the scary record. Frank graced my walls for 6 years - my Senior year it just crumbled apart .

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Frank was 6' tall and he was a poster

And the ghost was a white balloon, A large piece of white plastic, a roll of fine monofilament fishing line - The instruction recommended a coat hanger to make the shoulders.
Oh gee, I forgot about those Frankenstein posters. I ordered one too and I think I ordered another one at the same time. Maybe the Mummy or Wolfman??
Yes, mine was a poster printed on plastic and it came with two little glow-in-the-dark dots you could stick over his eyes. WOW !

I also ordered the "Remote Control Flying Ghost" from Johnson-Smith company. It was a balloon with "happy" ghost face on it with a white plastic bag you put over it. The remote control was a small spool of fishing string. I think the instructions even showed an option of how you could fill the balloon with helium and hide in hole to make it "float". Yea, right......

On a side note, I always wanted to order the "Two-man Submarine" from the comic book ad for $6.95. It claimed to shoot "real torpedoes".
I remember finding out many years ago that it was made of cardboard. LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts