Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants to add a creepy-looking tree to your landscaping, if the region will support it, I think the contorted filbert (random link) is just about the creepiest tree I've ever seen. I saw a couple in a landscaped courtyard last year and flipped! The landscaper was there and told me what they were.

We have one now, but it's still a baby and really needs some TLC & some actual landscaping. I love it, though.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,340 Posts
AKA Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. You can get them at Home Depot or any garden center. I desperately want one but we're running out of places to put cool trees.

·
Registered
503 Posts
AKA Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. You can get them at Home Depot or any garden center. I desperately want one but we're running out of places to put cool trees.
When and if you prune it, keep some branches - they look great in a planter. Or if you have a flagpole holder, you can insert a branch into it and add some crows, bats or an owl. That's what I do - it's a great way to display props for little expense.

flagpole holder.jpg

crow-Branches.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
If anyone wants to add a creepy-looking tree to your landscaping, if the region will support it, I think the contorted filbert (random link) is just about the creepiest tree I've ever seen. I saw a couple in a landscaped courtyard last year and flipped! The landscaper was there and told me what they were.

We have one now, but it's still a baby and really needs some TLC & some actual landscaping. I love it, though.
I agree, to the point I planted one years ago...

A neighbor took offense to where I planted it, and it died a few days after he got upset, pretty sure he roundupped the whole area, considering the ring of death.

Anywho, according to my neighbor, they are bad about sending runners. My research says it depends on how the nursery you bought it from propogated it. True contorted filberts do not run, but a lot of people graft the contorted filbert onto other filberts and that can cause runners.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I put the sticks in my birdcage and put dollar tree owls all over them. I'm not crazy about these trees when they are leafed out but I saw one at Lowes a couple years ago in red and loved it! Just couldn't spend $100 on a tree I would end up killing.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
I actually have two philberts. This is two years ago so it's quite a bit smaller in this pic than it is now, but it's on the very left next to the basket. I have one in the front of the house, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
Trex
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing