Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A little more progress. Finished the arms with wraps of burlap and twine at the joints and a little around the hands and fingers. Getting ready for clothing by starting with a large triangular piece of burlap over the back. Most of the rest of the final covering will be cloth strips with some burlap and rope mixed in. Kinda making it up as I go. ( As usual! lol! )

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
This is a photo of a scarecrow I made in 2008 and used up through last year. I went overboard with the fake barbed wire here, but you get the idea of how creepy it looks. Later versions used less wire over the face and wrapped around the body and arms to hold him to the framework. I left the ends of the wire dangling down from the wrists to make it a little more obvious. My wife hates him and is thrilled that I retired him after last year.

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
This looks great! It's going to really put some on edge. I really like treatment you did on the arms. With some fog and great lightning, it's going to be killer.

A little more progress. Finished the arms with wraps of burlap and twine at the joints and a little around the hands and fingers. Getting ready for clothing by starting with a large triangular piece of burlap over the back. Most of the rest of the final covering will be cloth strips with some burlap and rope mixed in. Kinda making it up as I go. ( As usual! lol! )

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Started adding cloth.

Used an old grey/brown T-shirt and shredded the holy hell out of it. I need to go buy an 8ft stick of conduit for the post. I'm going to wrap the conduit in rope to hide it and incorporate it into the overall design. I have it on a PVC pipe just for photos and looking it over and the pvc pipe has WAY too much flex and sway. Still need to find a straw hat too. Looked at a couple today, but they were both too small.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
This is a photo of a scarecrow I made in 2008 and used up through last year. I went overboard with the fake barbed wire here, but you get the idea of how creepy it looks. Later versions used less wire over the face and wrapped around the body and arms to hold him to the framework. I left the ends of the wire dangling down from the wrists to make it a little more obvious. My wife hates him and is thrilled that I retired him after last year.
Personally, I think that level of barbed wire looked awesome; reminds me of something from Hellraiser:D

Really cool, Nightfisher.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I thought about barbed wire too. Still might add some if I can find any of the fake stuff. I wanted to keep mine as organic/natural material as I could so that I can easily swap out the scarecrow head with pumpkin if I ever want to make a pumpkin king again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is the flex in the pipe a bad thing? I mean all I can picture is him swaying and moving gently which would add to the effect I would think. I LOVE this prop! It has definitely inspired me!!!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I thought about barbed wire too. Still might add some if I can find any of the fake stuff. I wanted to keep mine as organic/natural material as I could so that I can easily swap out the scarecrow head with pumpkin if I ever want to make a pumpkin king again.
I just wrapped the wire around the scarecrow without attaching it permanently so I could change it if necessary. You could add it and then change it if it didn't work out how you wanted. I might have some of the fake stuff in my material bin that I can send you, but it may take a week or so for me to check for it. PM me if you're interested.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Test hat. I found a cheap cowboy style hat and roughed it up, stained it, painted it some, and generally made a mess out of it. Looks okay, but I'm wondering if something with a bigger brim might look better. I'll keep my eyes open for an alternate.

While doing the hat I came up with the idea of doing some threads of burlap as sparse, stringy "hair" to blow in the wind. I like the look.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I love your progress so far on the hat maybe make it a little darker with some paints or dirtier? I love the face on this scarecrow he looks great!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts