Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of building a scarecrow to add to our yard display next year for a few months now, and today spotted a roll of burlap at Lowes that inspired me to get started. I'm using a very cheap foam skull as my base and just hot glueing and stretching the burlap over the surface to get the contours covered. Once that was done I dry brushed some staining and shadows and added some large metal staples across the mouth line. Still need to find a straw hat I can distress to finish the head. Just the head for now. I plan on making the body and arms from branches and vines covered in tattered cloth and hanging him from a post/cross made from heavy branches. Once finished it should stand about 7ft tall and will be lit from below.

Here is the beginning of getting the burlap glued down...

Further along...

Finished gluing and mounted to a short piece of PVC for a neck. I used a zip tie to gather the cloth around the neck and secure it. Just need to find just the right hat now.

Finished painting! Added a noose around the neck as an after thought.

I think I'm going to find some fake barbed wire to use for "tying" the scarecrow to his post. I want him to lean slightly forward off the post almost like it is about to fall or jump off. Crows, corn, and pumpkins will be a part of the scene one I set him up for halloween. I'll post updates on this project as I move it along further. I'm in no rush at the moment. Still have 6 months to get him done. ;D

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the kind comments! I did a little more work on it this afternoon. Started on the shoulders and arms using branches hinged at the joints with heavy staples and zip ties. I'm going to try to make this in two pieces (head/torso) that slide down over a central fiberglass rod. It will break down easy and store small that way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I love the arms! And your shading on the head creates just the right effect. If you're still looking for a straw hat (and you don't find one at a garage sale etc) I'd try the hobby store. Our Hobby Lobby sells some as party favors (Hawaiian themed) that are perfect and they're only $2.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the arms! And your shading on the head creates just the right effect. If you're still looking for a straw hat (and you don't find one at a garage sale etc) I'd try the hobby store. Our Hobby Lobby sells some as party favors (Hawaiian themed) that are perfect and they're only $2.
Not that the warm weather is cranking up the straw hat should not be a problem. I was thinking Dollar Store or a party supply store for a cheap-o.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tackled the torso today. I wanted to make a woody/viney ribcage and after some scrounging through my materials and some experimenting I decided to use Great Stuff on top of a block of 2" thick foam left over from making tombstones. I pretty much freehanded the Great Stuff onto the foam to form the ribs and collar bones, then added some vines creeping over the surface. Once dry I used needlenose pliers to pull away the foam between the ribs to add depth and get rid of any flat surfaces, and get the overall finished outline formed...

Then a coat of black latex between the ribs and into all the deep crevices and creases...

Once the black dried I dry brushed a base coat of brown, then came back with a little black and lighter brown to break up the color some...

Almost there! Just needed to color in the vines with some green and touch up a few details to finish up the torso...

Close up shot of the "Skullcrow" up close after re-assembling him...

Further away to show how I plan on doing the base with the barrel planter I found at Lowes...

The head lifts off for storage and the torso/crossbar lift off the PVC pipe. The arms can be removed for storage with a quick snip of two zip ties. I think I'm going to forgo the traditional scarecrow clothes except for the straw hat and instead go with burlap and freaky fabric for the final covering. The PVC pipe pole will be replaced with a stiffer piece of metal conduit that wont flex, then wrapped in burlap and rope to hide it. I'm not going to do legs either. Sort of like my Pumpkin King from 2 years go was. I think I'm done working on this one for a while, but If I make any more progress I'll be sure to post some more pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks awsome! I think I'll have to build one of these now! I've been planning the display for next year, as I am moving to a neighboorhood with lots of ToTs! :cool:

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! I'm mulling over ideas and gathering materials for the outfitting. Definitely going with a tattered straw hat for his noggin, but I'm still brainstorming the body. No actual clothing, just rags, burlap, and freaky fabric is what I have in mind. I also plan on using heavy jute twine in the design as well for some stitching and tied down parts, leaving a few hanging loops to blow in the breeze. I've pretty much decided to do away with the noose I first had around his neck too. Something about it didn't look quite right to me.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts