Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
My younger brother has a taurantula. Begged for one. Got it for Christmas when he was about 10 (18 years ago), and is STILL afraid to clean it's cage. (Taurantulas live 50+ years)

I can honestly say that I've never purchased an exotic pet. However, I have kept every manner of insect you can think of as a 'pet' in the past.

I was REALLY into bugs as a child. Had a massive collection, but started getting all nit-picky. Catching them via 'traditional' means often meant some kind of damage occured. So, I started catching everything by hand. Then I started wanting all phases of developement for each species. That often meant breeding, raising, and killing at the correct stage.

Try telling your dad he can't go knocking down that nest till a new queen is born...

Did a bit of beekeeping on the farm where I worked, too.

So, I guess the most bizaar thing I raised was a Pepsis Wasp. I had a fond affinity for them one year, and had a great display in my collection that had a few cross-sections of taurantulas at various stages of being consumed...

My wife made me get rid of it when we got married. Donated to the University of Utah at the time, it's since been moved to the Utah Natural History Museum as part of a massive collection.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I couldn't remember if anyone has done a Creepy Pet thread in a while, so instead of searching the archives, I decided to start a new one. Anyway, here are some of my past Creepy Pets...

Man, those tarantula's sure have some creepy-looking pets...
(kidding...kidding!!)

(and in all honesty, the mere thought of spiders crawling on me makes all the hair on the back of my neck stand on end...don't know how you managed to stay still long enough for a pic to be taken)

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
...(Taurantulas live 50+ years)
That is incorrect. Only a few tarantulas are known to live for 20-30 years in captivity. And these are typically the Brachypelma species. And are only the females. Male tarantulas will die off within 1-2 years after reaching maturity.

LV Scott, that's a beautiful Brachypelma smithi (one of my favorites). I was actually lucky to catch my Red knee molting once and watched for 3 hrs as she layed on her back and pulled herself out of the old skin and then flipped herself back over. Was very interesting to watch.... normally I would just find then the next day already molted and looking beautiful. Was your Emperor scorpion the only scorpion you had or did you have any others? The Enperor scorpions are communal and I use to keep 6 in a large tank and they would all burrow together under a large piece of wood. Was really cool at Halloween parties as I'd put a black light over their tank and you'd see the neon blue scorpions walking around (freaked a lot of people out). Another of my favorites are the Avicularia species. I see you had an Avicularia avicularia (Pink toe). Did you ever get an Avicularia versicolor? Very beautiful blue spiderling and as an adult a very colorful greens, purples and pinks. Did you raise your spiders from spiderlings or did you buy them as adults? And lastly, there is nothing creepy about those pets.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is incorrect. Only a few tarantulas are known to live for 20-30 years in captivity. And these are typically the Brachypelma species. And are only the females. Male tarantulas will die off within 1-2 years after reaching maturity.

LV Scott, that's a beautiful Brachypelma smithi (one of my favorites). I was actually lucky to catch my Red knee molting once and watched for 3 hrs as she layed on her back and pulled herself out of the old skin and then flipped herself back over. Was very interesting to watch.... normally I would just find then the next day already molted and looking beautiful. Was your Emperor scorpion the only scorpion you had or did you have any others? The Enperor scorpions are communal and I use to keep 6 in a large tank and they would all burrow together under a large piece of wood. Was really cool at Halloween parties as I'd put a black light over their tank and you'd see the neon blue scorpions walking around (freaked a lot of people out). Another of my favorites are the Avicularia species. I see you had an Avicularia avicularia (Pink toe). Did you ever get an Avicularia versicolor? Very beautiful blue spiderling and as an adult a very colorful greens, purples and pinks. Did you raise your spiders from spiderlings or did you buy them as adults? And lastly, there is nothing creepy about those pets.
Ahhh, another SpiderMan! And I thought I was the only Halloween-obsessed computer nerd who knew his Aphonopelma from his Brachypelma... Well, what you see is what I had, except for 5 other Pandinas Emperators, 2 Aphonopelma Nevadanums (one found walking across my patio 10 years ago and one on my next-door-neighbor's patio last week), and 1 archispirostreptus gigas. I only ever had 1 Emperor at a time, but had 4 spiders in a quad case while onboard my first Navy ship. That was a trick. And, no, I never had the opportunity to raise any hatchlings (although I did hand-feed several clutches of cockatiels while I lived in Hawaii).

I also learned that the books weren't always right. For example, I had read in several books that Tarantulas can not jump. What most people "think" is jumping is actually a quick spurt of running off of whatever they are on - your hand, a table, etc. Well, tell that to my Pink-Toe! He used to jump from one hand to the other, both level, and over 12" apart. Also, my Zebra (Rhechosticta/Aphonopelma seemanni) "jumped" out of my hands and hit the sidewalk, opening a nasty gash on his abdomen. Well, the books all said to say goodbye, because tarantula cuts don't heal, and once their fluids all leak out, they're dead. But damn I loved that guy, and I wasn't about to just let him curl up & die. So, I swabbed some NewSkin on the leak and put him in a small carrying case without crickets for a week. Worked like a charm!

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
[/url]
:shrug: I only remember the pet store owner telling us it would live to 50+.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts

These pets are really creepy...they make horrible things...They look really creepy as well...

I hope i havent given you nightmares.....

Ruggerz

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive only just noticed the t-shirts....its like subliminal man!...

Ruggerz

LOL Yeah, that pic was taken at a professional photo studio (I won't say which one, since I'm sure they claim exclusive rights to every photo they have ever taken, but their name rhymes with Nolan Bills). Anyway, once a year or so, when I was home on leave, my mom would schedule an appointment for us all to get our pictures taken. Well, that year, Mom & Dad both had to work, so it was just going to be the little brother and me. When the day came, we put on our Sunday best and headed over (with a couple of plastic carrying cases in a backpack...). Once there, I asked the photographer to let us know when he only had a few shots left, as we wanted to change shirts. He said "No problem; people do that all the time". So, a while later, he says "Ok, I've got about 5 more shots". So we take off our nice button-down dress shirts and put on a couple of t-shirts. Then I hand Michael my female Orange Knee (which he places on his chest) and I take my male Blonde and put him on my chest, and we turn to face the photographer. He's kinda laughing and starts to say that they look real, then they start to crawl up our shirts, and he stopped smiling and said "My God, those ARE real!" With that, he steps behind the camera, takes a few shots, and calmly informs us that we are all done, proofs will be ready in a week, thank you, goodbye. I had to return to my ship a few days later, so I never saw the proofs.

The best part was when I came home again a year or so later and saw THAT PHOTO, framed, and sitting proudly on my folks' fireplace!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Woah......I don't know what I was expecting, but with the thread title being 'creepy pets', I should have been prepared!

Those pictures terrified me!!!!! :(:( I have a major phobia!! :eek:

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Ahhh, another SpiderMan! And I thought I was the only Halloween-obsessed computer nerd who knew his Aphonopelma from his Brachypelma... Well, what you see is what I had, except for 5 other Pandinas Emperators, 2 Aphonopelma Nevadanums (one found walking across my patio 10 years ago and one on my next-door-neighbor's patio last week), and 1 archispirostreptus gigas. I only ever had 1 Emperor at a time, but had 4 spiders in a quad case while onboard my first Navy ship. That was a trick. And, no, I never had the opportunity to raise any hatchlings (although I did hand-feed several clutches of cockatiels while I lived in Hawaii).

I also learned that the books weren't always right. For example, I had read in several books that Tarantulas can not jump. What most people "think" is jumping is actually a quick spurt of running off of whatever they are on - your hand, a table, etc. Well, tell that to my Pink-Toe! He used to jump from one hand to the other, both level, and over 12" apart. Also, my Zebra (Rhechosticta/Aphonopelma seemanni) "jumped" out of my hands and hit the sidewalk, opening a nasty gash on his abdomen. Well, the books all said to say goodbye, because tarantula cuts don't heal, and once their fluids all leak out, they're dead. But damn I loved that guy, and I wasn't about to just let him curl up & die. So, I swabbed some NewSkin on the leak and put him in a small carrying case without crickets for a week. Worked like a charm!
I miss my creepy crawlers..... Got rid of them all when we had kids (didn't want to take any chances of a child opening a tank or just knocking it off the shelf and getting bit - or worse killing the spider!). Got a few pics of some of them posted in a photo album on my profile (Pets B.C.). Now that my kids are older I may start collecting again. We have one Grammolstola rosea (Chilean Rose Hair) now. Always loved watching the Theraphosa blondii eat a small mouse (not for the weaker stomach). Yea the Avicularias (tree spiders) are very good jumpers! As spiderlings they can really get some distance. Like you Zebra, I never handled my ground dwellers much more than a few inches off the ground. Never wanted to see one of them take a fall like that. The tree dwellers on the other hand would jump from any height to the floor without any issues.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And i lke the scorpion.....I want one...

Ruggerz
That guy saved my ass one time. I was at the Long Beach downtown bus stop at about midnight, waiting for the last bus to base. I was alone until 2 guys approached, one taking up position on each side of me. I'm pretty sure I was about 10 seconds away from being mugged. Then I remembered my silent partner. So I took off my hat, turned it up side down, and pushed it sorta inside-out, which clearly displayed (and woke up) my Emperor Scorpion. Yes, he travelled up-side-down in the crown of my ballcap. Well, the 2 guys split like, well, like they had just seen an 8" long black West African Scorpion crawl out of a skinny white guy's hat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts