Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do a theme with creepy stuff but not typical Halloween related stuff but with objects, stuff, just anything that is just inherently creepy on its own but I'm leery that some ToT's won't "get it". What I deemed creepy may not be to others.
So I was wanting to hear or see if others could respond with some ideas or pics of stuff that is not doctored up. For example, I think this doll that I just found is creepy
So has anyone tried to do an all creepy theme as I've tried to describe? Appreciate any feedback even though my idea is hard to pin down since creepy could have so many meanings.I hope I made some sense
20150131_225410-1.jpg

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
You're absolutely right in saying that one persons creepy is different than anothers. Lighting and sound may be the biggest thing to set the mood. Here's a link to different types of phobias. Perhaps it will help,

http://phobialist.com/

·
Registered
449 Posts
Going off of what doto has said, you might consider doing a phobias theme where different areas reflect different phobias that people find creepy. I personally love the idea of using a bunch of creepy props to reflect the "creepy" theme, but I agree with you where I don't know how many TOT will get the whole concept.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
Finding some old stuff -some decorative - like at Goodwill that are odd looking and make you think, what is the heck is that? Then take the object and rust it, age it and put it next to something people fear - ax, knife, large hooks chains etc. I think by combining the 2 objects help people get a more clear feeling of creepy without exactly defining it for them. But also keep obvious things like the creepy doll above, dolls without eyes, etc. Lighting is crucial here as doto said. Hope you catch what I mean.....

·
Halloween Elitist
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lighting and sound, had totally forgotten about those, phobias, another great suggestion, objects, totally get that like say some random bones on string hanging sorta like a mobile, great feedback everyone, I knew you guys would know where I'm coming from, I have to say it would be a gamble because we only have one shot every year and I would hate for my idea to be a flop but again, thanks for the input guys and gals

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
Your ideas are never flops.....So long as you love them. For most tot's, lighting and a creepy figure or 2 or prop will satisfy. Then you can go all out on your idea with the rest. My ideas this year have been "shot down" by my family (except one son) but I don't care....I like it and thats all that matters.
Start digging around now at garage sales, goodwills,thrift stores etc. Google phobias (images), creepy items, etc. Go to deviant art . Im excited about your idea...

I typed in creepy corner on google...lots of images!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
Perhaps you may want to follow the curiosity cabinet thread as well. You may see some things of interest.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/140748-show-your-curiosities-cabinet.html

Some other ideas:
Animated Rocking Chair with no-one in int.
Animated Swinging Swing with no-one in it.
Lighted moving footprints - perhaps using a projector
Old phone ringing with no phones around
creepy children's nursery rhymes playing with no-children in sight
broom which moves on its own.
ghost or vortex projections in windows
candles moving up and down
lots of dust (baby powder coating tables/shelves)

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
I know I've mentioned this before, but out at Camp Navajo in Arizona, there's an old decrepit building that has a hand scrawled last will and testiment on the wall.

Definitely creepy. Pictures aren't allowed there though. :(

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
It's all on how it's presented and you can be creepy with very little props. If TOTs happen upon a dropped bag of candy on your door step with one bloody kid shoe laying on its side and that doll sitting on the ground--That would be creepy. Items that are out of place in their environment can be creepy. I love DMPranks killer clown set up with the music box as the distraction. Then you hear that whistle and turn around.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHjGtBnSv50

Your doll in any position that suggests it's alive would be creepy. Just look up Elf on the Shelf ideas for plenty of ideas there. I think Elf on the Shelf is super creepy.

Weird wall art can be creepy. Can you imagine this with a sign that says Free candy for the mouth hole?
c271fe6cd47988d3778228845954875e.jpg

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,038 Posts
I'm not one to judge what is or is not creepy. Some find old dolls to be creepy, others find old photographs to be creepy, and some find clowns in any form to be creepy. I know what appeals to my own sense of creepiness and foreboding and I have a style of artwork all my own. Having said that I don't try to scare the bejeezus out of anyone, especially the little ones. I build a simple home haunt that targets the trick or treat aged kids and I want them to be scared by the scenery at first, but then put at ease that nobody is going to try and scare them. My haunt is built around the scare that never happens. All the kiddies are fearing that something will jump out at them, but the worst that happens is a drop spider or a jumping spider. I want them to remember the fear, but also that it was safe, and that nothing bad happened other that what their mind conjured up. To me creepy is all in the mind and is accomplished by the atmosphere. Fog, lighting, sound, and presentation all come together to create that creepy atmosphere without having to scare the pants off of the kids. I want them to come back year after year and be thrilled by the scenery, not simply terrified of the scares.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate all the great takes, one thing is to peruse the Internet looking for images but to have advice from haunters is invaluable, thanks to all

·
Registered
237 Posts
I combined both when I did my yard haunt. My front yard was the TOT's cemetery, with props and one or 2 'ghouls' crawling around. The backyard was for older kids. I followed the set decoration with creepy items idea, I didn't use typical Halloween items there. A lot of actors, chain link fencing, fog, sound, etc.
The 2 areas were distinctly separated so no little ones were terrified, separate entrances and exits.
I think the creepy items works, just depends what your goal is and who your audience is.
Jan

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm in the planning stages of a "haunted attic" room where ideally I'd like to use projection ghosts and one active prop. The rest of the room I want as you described-- creepy without being overtly Halloweenish. I've been kicking ideas around and collecting things for a while now. Of course you're right that we each have our own ideas on what's creepy but some of my thoughts are--
Victorian stuff is often inherently creepy. Victorian era pictures in ornate frames, the now-long-dead subject staring out solemnly...those strike me as creepy.
I have my daughter watching Craig's List in her area for an old-looking baby buggy. Some have excellent creepy factor just the way they are.
Dolls. I don't want horror-altered dolls for my space-- just naturally creepy ones. Cracks, missing eyes, and being made with teeth all enhance the look IMO.
Dressmakers' dummies-- I might add a couple reddish-brown stains, that remind one of old, old blood (but not over the top, just a hint-- a suggestion). If I find a really cheap one already in rough shape, I'll stick a pair of scissors in it. "Egghead" mannequins (with no faces) are creepy too, especially en masse.
Ventroliquists' dummies-- I find these so freaking creepy that I'm not sure I'd want one in the house! lol!
Clown dolls, as you already have. It wouldn't fit my theme, but an empty clown costume (with mask) that looks hastily tossed aside would have high creepy factor for me.
Some of the old cast iron banks strike me as creepy. The head-shaped ones seem especially so to me. I'm still fishing for one I consider affordable.
Hourglasses, and also old pendulum clocks.
Some old books. I have a couple oldies that are in German, with Gothic lettering on the covers, and I like he way they fit in.
Candelabra -- My favorites for the "attic" room aren't Halloweenified other than with a little paint and perhaps a cobweb or two.
Mirrors have a creepy factor for a lot of people. Dark, ornate frames are good. I'd like to find a large oval floor mirror with antiqued-looking mirror glass.
I'll also look for (or possibly make) something with the general look of a Victorian coat tree. With a top-hat and a cape hung on it, and a walking stick leaned against it, I hope it will give my guests mental images of Jack the Ripper or Count Dracula without being an over the top horror prop.

Those are just a few of the items I've been gathering or looking for.

I've got a separate "lab" area, but if I didn't, I'd consider medical tools and an old microscope to be worthy additions to the creepy attic.

Have fun with your space; I hope you'll share what you come up with!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts