Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea a few years ago when i wanted to make a fence for my yard. The idea of painting pvc and drilling endless sections of 2x4 seemed like a little too much math, measuring, and expense. I found a supply of pallets at the local grocery store, so I asked for 3 or 4 of them and they said ok. Another source might be a trucking company or a place that accepts construction waste. I advise against stealing them, some stores have cameras in the back and who wants to get busted stealing pallets?

I took them home and tore the planks off of the support pieces, which are the larger boards inside that the planks are nailed to and resemble 2x4s. You get 3 boards per pallet and about 7 or 8 planks on each side.

Tear them apart and use the support boards as the frame and the planks as the "fence". Depending on how you space them and how many pieces you break you should be able to get about 16 feet of fence out of 4 pallets. I broke some of the pieces of the fence long ways to get varying widths. I also screwed some of them at an angle and at different spacing to mix it up a bit. You could also only screw a couple into the top so the piece moves.

Use 2x4, plywood, or other material screwed to the back at an angle to lean them against the ground at a reasonable standing angle. If your fence is going to get touched by ToT's or you have a lot of wind, i recommend using a couple 2x4s and a post hole digger to mount them into the ground.

The biggest advantage i feel is that if you get older pallets, they come pre-weathered, there's no need for additional work staining or dirtying of the fence when it's done. I added some spider webs and leaves, and I leave mine behind the garage all year to further the weathering. The pics i took of my fence is pretty much how it looked when i made it.

If you're not much for feats of physical strength i would advise against this project. Pallets, especially newer ones, are well built devices. There is a lot of hammering and prying involved that kicks your butt pretty hard. However, for free, i feel it is worth it.

Completed fence with webs and leaves:

Back of fence showing structure and method for bracing:

Close up of fence:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this, and I have to say you got much much nicer palettes than we get up here.

I tore apart 5 or 6 and they had at least 100 nails per palette. Not only that but the wood was all cracked from the weight they had on them. I made crucifix's out of the small broken pieces.

They still have far too many nails in them for me to be comfortable using them in a high traffic area.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I wanted to do this

Yeah I wanted to make a fence like that. there was a house nearby giving away loads of wooden pallets for free for firewood. The Husband remembered 5 days later after he'd first seen them so I said "go and check if the still have them" but they'd all gone by that time :( so I told him off because he knew I wanted some ...men!! lol :mad:

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I thought of doing the pallet fence last year, then got a great deal on some composite fence at Lowe's ($5.00 a section on clearance) Now I'm thinking I need some more fence and the pallets are a great way to go (If I can find them)

If you don't want to pull nails, I think the easiest thing to do if you can get enough pallets is to trace the fence pattern on the planks then cut them with a jigsaw so that you basically cut off one of the 2x4s at the end. Then just stand the pallet up on the opposite end and you're done. If you get the pallets with 4 2x4's supporting them, you can cut the pallets in half and have two sections of shorter fence

To stand up my fence, I got some of those green fence posts at Lowes that you would use in the garden or a pasture and drive the fins into the ground and bungee the fence to it. Easy to put together, and easy to take down

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
i want to do the same thing but for a maze type thing the only problem is it wont be tall enough
an wont me sturdy enough? Any ideas?
You could always try something like this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_231190-87439-65001000_0__?productId=3393438&Ntt=reed&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=reed&facetInfo=

It's bamboo roll-up fencing. 6ft x 15 ft for 21 bucks. You would just need to put in tall dowels or some sort of support. You could cut a few round holes in them and cover the holes with wide strands of black fabric, then grab at the unsuspecting passers-by. Also, string some black string from the top just low enough to hit your forehead, it feels like spider webs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
instead of prying and removing all the nails, I just took my sawzaw and cut the nails between the 2x4's and pickets. It makes it A LOT faster

·
Registered
553 Posts
I made a ton of fencing last year out of pallets. I took the time to take out the nails for safety sake. I used a mini sledge hammer to knock the boards apart; just set them upside down on a work bench and with a few blows the pieces come apart then hammer the nails straight out. If they get suck use a crow bar for leverage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How are you guys keeping the pallet fence to stand up? I need to have it along my sidewalk, and i assume kids will touch it as they walk by, but i dont want kids messing with my props anyways so the fence is a great idea, i grabbed 3 pallets today and im going to try and whip something together, i cant see how small stakes will keep the fence upright...any help would be appreciated..thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts