Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my Halloween Curtains today. I was lucky enough that my mom had some extra white sheets that I could have when I visited my parents this weekend, so everything was free!

All I did was hang the curtains and made various tears and cuts. Afterwards I filled a bucket with water and added just a little bit of white and black acrylic paint until I got the shade of grey that I wanted. Then I dipped the sheets in, getting the stains where I wanted them and allowed that to dry before I did it a second time. Once that was dry I took some black spray paint and lightly painted along the torn edges of the curtain. After hanging them up with some creepy cloth from last year, it looked great!

I put the curtains up to see how they looked, but they've been taken down now. This was a very easy project and I spent absolutely no money on it! No sewing either! :p Very cool, especially for the effect it gives.

Here are the pics:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i like these, job well done...i may have to borrow this idea for our curtains. might be able to find some heavier ones for our lounge to still give us a bit of privacy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Those look fabulous!!! Great job. In my line of work we've tea dyed fabrics to age them. Has anyone done that here? I'm sure they have.

Btw, I just might steal your idea! And adding the dark spray paint on the edges, brilliant!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
ok, so lksmart inspired me.

on the way home Friday, my neighbor was having a garage sale - so after my great potion bottle finds at good will on lunch Friday, I figure, my good luck may still be with me, so I whip it into the garage sale to scavenge.

Lo and behold, in a bag, is a heap of material, and a paper sign on the outside says "Patio drapes $3" They are old and a yellowish tan (smoke stain I think) but VERY heavy - were probably very expensive drapes back in the day!

I get them for $1.50! I buy Rit Dye $2.50 in black and last night I dyed them (have the black fingernails today to prove it! LOL). They came out more pale - how I actually wanted them. I cut them in half before I dyed them, so I have two equal lenght drapes now. Tonight I plan to rip them in places, then wash them againg to help fray the rips and bring them to more of a gray color. After that, I'll spray paint the edge of the rips in black, like ya'll suggested.

So, for $3.50 I have 2 spooky drapes!! :D

I'll take pics when I'm all done and post!
Bev

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the comments guys... the curtains only took me about an hour or so to make. Another good hint: most curtains have a lapped seam and you can just cut the edge of that seam and slip the curtain rod through it...

Thanks again guys! glad u like them!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I made a set of these curtains from an old lace pair I had . I did this yesterday and it didn't take very long at all. About 2 hours from start to finish. Inclulding dryer time to set the color and time to make the cuts. I used tea and some strongly brewed coffee to color them. While they was still damp I added a few drops of food coloring and wet the drops of color with a spray jug, it made the color drips run so they didn't look like dots. I can't wait to hang them! Fast and easy project when made from old curtains.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They really do the trick to make the "creepy old feel" to a room. The more dingy you can make the the better. I even added a little food coloring to the water to darken them a bit more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts