I just finished my Halloween Curtains today. I was lucky enough that my mom had some extra white sheets that I could have when I visited my parents this weekend, so everything was free!
All I did was hang the curtains and made various tears and cuts. Afterwards I filled a bucket with water and added just a little bit of white and black acrylic paint until I got the shade of grey that I wanted. Then I dipped the sheets in, getting the stains where I wanted them and allowed that to dry before I did it a second time. Once that was dry I took some black spray paint and lightly painted along the torn edges of the curtain. After hanging them up with some creepy cloth from last year, it looked great!
I put the curtains up to see how they looked, but they've been taken down now. This was a very easy project and I spent absolutely no money on it! No sewing either! Very cool, especially for the effect it gives.
on the way home Friday, my neighbor was having a garage sale - so after my great potion bottle finds at good will on lunch Friday, I figure, my good luck may still be with me, so I whip it into the garage sale to scavenge.
Lo and behold, in a bag, is a heap of material, and a paper sign on the outside says "Patio drapes $3" They are old and a yellowish tan (smoke stain I think) but VERY heavy - were probably very expensive drapes back in the day!
I get them for $1.50! I buy Rit Dye $2.50 in black and last night I dyed them (have the black fingernails today to prove it! LOL). They came out more pale - how I actually wanted them. I cut them in half before I dyed them, so I have two equal lenght drapes now. Tonight I plan to rip them in places, then wash them againg to help fray the rips and bring them to more of a gray color. After that, I'll spray paint the edge of the rips in black, like ya'll suggested.
thanks for the comments guys... the curtains only took me about an hour or so to make. Another good hint: most curtains have a lapped seam and you can just cut the edge of that seam and slip the curtain rod through it...
I made a set of these curtains from an old lace pair I had . I did this yesterday and it didn't take very long at all. About 2 hours from start to finish. Inclulding dryer time to set the color and time to make the cuts. I used tea and some strongly brewed coffee to color them. While they was still damp I added a few drops of food coloring and wet the drops of color with a spray jug, it made the color drips run so they didn't look like dots. I can't wait to hang them! Fast and easy project when made from old curtains.