Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I can tell Creepy cloth is just a loose weave of cheese cloth dyed black, grey or green and tattered a bit, correct me if I am wrong. I always thought it was rather expencive so I found a manufacturer that sells large bolts of cheese cloth of different types. It comes in white so it can be dyed any color you want with Rit fabrc dye, avaliable at most craft stores. Here is a link to my cloth source. Lions Services Cheesecloth. I purchased one bolt of 100 yrd for $35 and a 10 lb remnant for $17. The remnant I dyed some green, brown and black for a swamp theme several years ago. The bolt I just broke open last year for my FCG. I still have a lot left. If fact I think I could create 10 FCG's with one bolt of 35" x 100 yds. The same length of creepy cloth, sold in 30" x 4 yds at $6.96 ea, would take 25 packages and cost $173.95. Now I know the dye can be a bit pricy at ~ $6/bottle but you can dye a lot with one bottle. So if you double the price you are still only at $75 and will save $98.75. The other plus is that you can do any color you want instead of the black, grey or green that is avaliable. Hope this helps

·
Registered
471 Posts
As a substitute for the dye, you might just try paint. I haven't tried this with cheesecloth, but I had an old canvas drop cloth that I colored this way. I wanted to use it to block off the side of my porch, but needed something darker. Mixed some leftover gray paint with water in a 5 gallon bucket and submerged the drop cloth in it. Dragged it out a few hours later and let it air dry. Voila - dark gray curtain for the porch. Has held up well for three years. Never tried washing it, but I doubt that would make much difference other than maybe to soften it a little.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am looking for some creepy cloth or cheese cloth. I found this link:

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/household/culinary/culinary-fabrics/cheesecloth.htm?gclid=CNGipszEu6oCFcrDKgodfH7V6Q

I have never worked with cheesecloth before so I am asking which Grade would you suggest for making ghosts? Or, if you have any better sources or suggestions.
I'd go with the loosest weave possible, the Grade 10 on that site. It's much easier to fray the edges and tatter the material than the tighter weave stuff and also a little more transparent. I DESPISE tightly woven cheeselcloth! :p

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,077 Posts
As long as you use acrylic or latex paint, you can use it to dye cloth. Both of those are polymer-based paints that will not wash out if it gets wet again after it dries. I usually just use the water I use to rinse my brushes out... it's already a murky grayish water, and just soak the cloth in that, ring it out and let dry.

So just a squirt of black paint into a big bucket of water will dye a huge amount of cloth a dingy gray... :)

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Well, I had to think on this awhile before finally posting.

Be aware that Lions Services, Inc. provides product manufactured by blind employees. I am NOT raising an issue about the quality of products assembled by people who can't see. Rather, I am talking about the predatory employment system for the disabled that allows these products to be sold so cheaply. The disabled employees are not paid an hourly wage, but rather a fee per piece completed, and the pay rate per piece often adds up to an hourly wage equivalent that makes all those migrant farm jobs held by illegal immigrants seem like a lottery jackpot. And yes, Lions Services does indeed use this very system - their "about us" page references the very federal law that established the sheltered workshop system.

If you think I'm flinging BS at you, read this news article: http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/25/19062348-disabled-workers-paid-just-pennies-an-hour-and-its-legal

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Thanks for the links guys. I'm in need of as much cheesecloth as I can get this year, so this help tremendously. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts